Dune2K - High Resolution

CCHyper

Should work if you do this.

try:    ...except: # Any exception will be caught here    ask for input
If you you have specific exception handlers then the WindowsError might go unhandled. The except: should be at the very end of the try: block.

EDIT: Give it as an option. I like the tiles on smaller maps and i am sure many do.

I'm not installing it from the CD, i'm using the version from this forum which has the registry for LAN play etc. The missions folder is in data not in the root folder, so maybe this could be the issue. I'll try to install from CD and see, but the current version is way better and seems to work better on Win7.

Should work if you do this.

try:    ...except: # Any exception will be caught here    ask for input
If you you have specific exception handlers then the WindowsError might go unhandled. The except: should be at the very end of the try: block.

EDIT: Give it as an option. I like the tiles on smaller maps and i am sure many do.

Yes, but it will not display the error that way. I found something on the web that seems to work:

try:    .....except Exception, e:    print(e)    raw_input('Press enter to exit...')

I'm not installing it from the CD, i'm using the version from this forum which has the registry for LAN play etc. The missions folder is in data not in the root folder, so maybe this could be the issue. I'll try to install from CD and see, but the current version is way better and seems to work better on Win7.

Missions folder in the data folder sounds to me that the game is than not capable of starting the missions. I don't understand what you mean with 'current version' and what is way better?

The .cfg is configured to read missions from data folder.

Current version = the one available here in that how to play multiplayer topic. It's probably slightly different that the one from the CD (the true original game). It is better cuz ppl seem to be able to run the game without problems using this one while with the CD they get graphical errors like split screen etc. At least thats what i heared. It's about Win7 x64.

I updated the patcher so that it also checks the data folder for the missions folder, if it's also not there the mission maps are not updated and an error message is given that with a resolution above 1024x768 the game will crash at small maps.

Version 1.3.4	1) Fixed bug in patching when missions folder is not in root folder.	2) Python error(s) when patcher fails are longer visible.	3) Added icon to patcher.

Download here or click my signature.

@akaFedaYkin: Please try it and report back, maybe we are lucky and it now works for the 'multiplayer-d2k-version'.

New version works great, but I'm still getting an Invalid Checksum error. 

Works here (i tested it of course before releasing but wanted to doublechek anyways).

post-37135-0-05403000-1369817227_thumb.p

Checksum test will fail if even one single bit (one bit !) is different then in the original .DAT from d2k106us.

Yes, but it will not display the error that way. I found something on the web that seems to work:

try:    .....except Exception, e:    print(e)    raw_input('Press enter to exit...')
This code will print only error message but not the callstack. It may be difficult to locate the exception cause in this case. I suggest you to use something like this:

import tracebacktry:    ...except Exception, e:    print(traceback.format_exc(e))    raw_input('Press enter to exit...')
  • Upvote 1

Missions folder in the data folder sounds to me that the game is than not capable of starting the missions. I don't understand what you mean with 'current version' and what is way better?

The .cfg is configured to read missions from data folder.

@D2k Sardaukar: Have you considered way of taking path to the missions folder from resource.cfg? Also you can easily determine if game is running from CD using os.access function.

Allright, it still says that there's an error and the .dat file may be buggy, but it works, every file is properly modified. It seems that the patch doesn't recognize the .dat file as an original "vanilla" one, so probably this MP version has some modified stuff in the .dat file? Anyway the good part is that it's working, I'll upload it on D2K+ asap. 

PS: Has anyone tried with the gruntmods .dat file?

EDIT: There is a big problem; it doesn't support the sub-houses patch, so all sub-house missions are unplayable with it. This definitely has to be fixed, as there are more sub-house missions than house missions and ppl are making more missions for the sub-houses.

I highly doubt it's my DAT patcher. Previous merge of .DAT and subhouse fix worked just fine although was already a while ago. Unplayable in what way?

When you select a sub-house unit, the game crashes as the units don't have sounds assigned for houses greater than 2. Sounds like "yes sir" or "atreides out". 

Works here (i tested it of course before releasing but wanted to doublechek anyways).

attachicon.gif2013-05-29 12_49_56-Administrator_ Command Prompt.png

Checksum test will fail if even one single bit (one bit !) is different then in the original .DAT from d2k106us.

So the checksum checks the the actual file contents and not the size? 

EDIT: Like I said before, I still get the error if I use the original 1.06 DAT

Edited by Shai-Gel98

So the checksum checks the the actual file contents and not the size? 

EDIT: Like I said before, I still get the error if I use the original 1.06 DAT

It checks the individual bytes. If size differs it's obviously a different file. Ignore it then. Anyone else having checksum problems on vanilla 1.06 US?

EDIT: Did you try it with dat_patcher or with the script from D2k Sardaukar?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checksum

Edited by N.Kindt

This code will print only error message but not the callstack. It may be difficult to locate the exception cause in this case. I suggest you to use something like this:

import tracebacktry:    ...except Exception, e:    print(traceback.format_exc(e))    raw_input('Press enter to exit...')

Yes, that works even better. Thanks.

@D2k Sardaukar: Have you considered way of taking path to the missions folder from resource.cfg? Also you can easily determine if game is running from CD using os.access function.

I did, but I have no idea what the resource.cfg will say for the location of the missions folder when the user runs the game from the CD, so I can't test it. I think/hope that the current two locations I got are the most logic and enough for now.

Allright, it still says that there's an error and the .dat file may be buggy, but it works, every file is properly modified. It seems that the patch doesn't recognize the .dat file as an original "vanilla" one, so probably this MP version has some modified stuff in the .dat file? Anyway the good part is that it's working, I'll upload it on D2K+ asap. 

PS: Has anyone tried with the gruntmods .dat file?

EDIT: There is a big problem; it doesn't support the sub-houses patch, so all sub-house missions are unplayable with it. This definitely has to be fixed, as there are more sub-house missions than house missions and ppl are making more missions for the sub-houses.

It does support the sub-houses patch. You just need to install the mod onto a vanilla d2k and then run the patcher. You see, the patcher makes a backup of all the files it's gonna adjust and uses those as reference files. If you run the patcher a second time it uses the earlier backup files again. It needs to do this, you can't patch already patched files*. If you manually adjust the normal files the patcher won't see that and just use the original backup ones. You could manually adjust the files in the backup files so the patcher uses those, but I suggest to just start with a vanilla d2k and install the mod onto that, if you got one zipped, that works faster.

Ixian Campaign screenshot:

post-2251-0-46756900-1369827746_thumb.jp

* Technically it's possible to read the previous patched resolution and adjust according to this, but that's so much programming for little gain. So my patcher will always patch the files it made on it's first backup run.

tried it on the gruntmods edition (labelled as 1.07?) on atredies mission 1, patcher said invalid checksum on the .dat file but the game seems to run fine @ 1024 x 768.  did atredies mission 1 with no problems.  going to try a skirmish now. 

also I have 1 quick Q (sorry this isn't tech support forum) but even with vanilla Dune 2000 on Win7 I get the screen flicker all the time :( I did a check but found no fix, anyone know?

I used the script. 

If you use the script, you need to put the vanilla .dat file in the 'backup' folder in the 'high resolution patch' folder for the script to use it. If there is no backup folder, just put it like normal in the root folder (next to dune2000.exe).

I tested my script on these (1.06 US): http://dune2k.com/Duniverse/Games/Dune2000/Downloads/Patches and it passes the checksum test.

Nice.

*The patch allows you to choose from 10 resolutions. Please read the readme files carefully, and also the notes below.*

Not necessarily 10, might be more or less then, any number. The patch checks automatically how many resolutions your monitor supports.

Nice.

*The patch allows you to choose from 10 resolutions. Please read the readme files carefully, and also the notes below.*

Not necessarily 10, might be more or less then, any number. The patch checks automatically how many resolutions your monitor supports.

It doesn't show me the biggest one which is 1366x768, but I'll delete that sentence anyway ;D