Dune2K - High Resolution

CCHyper

Just for fun, wanted to replay it in highres. After playing highres C&C Tiberium Dawn, 480 resolutions seems weird.

Uploaded here: http://www.filedropper.com/dune2000-1024x768

Dune2000.dat is from 1.06 English with CD requirement. Tested only in online/practice mode to avoid startup of the solo game (intros, pick your side, pick map location, etc.).

• Upvote 1

Man this is just awesome, its just awesome! I played it and it works perfectly, except that u can use the starport and upgrade buttons. If you could fix that I think that should be enough. :) anyway good job!

Thanks! That's actually the only issue left and i described the problem with details in my first post. I can't guarantee that i will finish it since especially now digging into assembly code can be quite time consuming since the code is sloppy.

I described the final problem in depth if someone else wants to resolve it. If i have the time i will sure try to fix it.

Great work N.Kindt, if anyone is curious to try it out but doesn't have the disc handy (or wants to try it with the sub houses fix) I've uploaded a version of DUNE2000.DAT containing both N.Kindt's patch so far and the Sub Houses Fix.

MergedDat.zip

• Upvote 3

Thanks! That's actually the only issue left and i described the problem with details in my first post. I can't guarantee that i will finish it since especially now digging into assembly code can be quite time consuming since the code is sloppy.

I described the final problem in depth if someone else wants to resolve it. If i have the time i will sure try to fix it.

Looks beautiful, good job!

Thanks all. Has someone experience with Dune2K resources? Is it possible to extend the top bar (from options to money counter) in the resource file to some appropriate 1024 resolution and resave it? I would guess that Dune2K reads the width of the resource and blits the content into the surface (with the new/modified width). With the adjusted width it should fix the 640*2 stride problem for this particular 1024x768 resolution in theory.

TopBarWidth = ResoltuoinWidth(1024) - OptionButtonWidth - MoneyCounterWidth - LeftSideBarWidth;

p.s. Minor text errors are present in the 3rd image of the first post. The mentiond stride size is not 768*2 or 480*2 but the width of the resolution (1024*2 and 640*2 respectively).

• Upvote 1

Thanks all. Has someone experience with Dune2K resources? Is it possible to extend the top bar (from options to money counter) in the resource file to some appropriate 1024 resolution and resave it? I would guess that Dune2K reads the width of the resource and blits the content into the surface (with the new/modified width). With the adjusted width it should fix the 640*2 stride problem for this particular 1024x768 resolution in theory.

TopBarWidth = ResoltuoinWidth(1024) - OptionButtonWidth - MoneyCounterWidth - LeftSideBarWidth;

p.s. Minor text errors are present in the 3rd image of the first post. The mentiond stride size is not 768*2 or 480*2 but the width of the resolution (1024*2 and 640*2 respectively).

Do you mean the actual menus? Yes, they are stored in the graphics data. D2K+ has a basic editor for them.

• Upvote 1

In case anyone was wondering, you still have access to upgrade, starport and the toolbar options like sell/repair with the patch. They seem to be coded to be at the same location they were previously rendered, and still function properly. The game seems to crash upon completing a mission, but otherwise seems stable. Worth a shot to try it out, and if you need to restore your game you can download the house fix from mvi.

Umm, so where are the upgrade and starport buttons? I click everywhere and nothing happenes.

EDIT: Nvm, found them. They are somewhere in the actual battlefield screen. 

Yup, still hard coded at the same draw location. Found it while playing and wondered why the repair was being selected :P

well then that's better....

If someone wanted to help out, you can use D2K+ to rewrite the UIL files to work at that resolution, that way when the coding for the executable is eventually finished, all the menus will also be done. Some graphics will need to be edited as well, such as the main menu bg, as obviously it will not look good stretched out. This will obviously be an intensive project, but it is needed to truly render the game at the desired resolution. Of primary importance are gameplay menus, such as load/save mission, options etc (They work currently, but placing/ size is not optimal).

Clearly will be a lot of work, but its possible with a lot of effort and time to have the whole game working like this.

Haven't thought that people would play the high res version even with the glitches. I have written a patch which creates a workaround till a proper fix is done to the UI. The workaround removes the glitches, adds a black side bar and removes top bar. The patch also allows you to setup any resolution supported by your hardware.

Usage: Dune2000-hrpatch.exe -w X- h Y --workaround

If --workaround switch is provided you get minimalistic UI as already mentioned and need to use hotkeys for the missing buttons and ESC for the menu. Otherwise original UI settings are used.
I.e. "-w 1980 -h 1080 --workaround" looks like attached image. Patch is attached as well.

As Gruntlord6 mentioned, someone (who knows Dune resources) should try to extend the top bar to appropriate resolution. If i.e. width 1024 then the equation is:

The problem with the invisible buttons is related to this issue. From the looks of it the constants (x and y) for the buttons are either taken from the UI resources (read width from file and displace button coordinates for mouse/drawing) or the constants are directly hardwired in the assembly instructions which is even worse from a programming point of view. If someone can try the resource thing it would sure shed some light on this.

post-37135-1212499_thumb.png

Dune2000-HighResPatch-beta.zip

• Upvote 1

Really great work.

Regarding resource files, I can take a look. I have a partially complete R16 editor, that may give me enough data to isolate the assets.

I've created a UI patch for the MainMenu, which makes (only) the main menu look ok at 1024 resolution. Really this is just an example of what UIL changes could be made.

Note that this UI patch assumes you already have the Mission Select patch, if you don't have it, make sure to install it before the UI patch.

post-2520-0-62128400-1362690872_thumb.pn

1024MainMenuUIL.zip

Edit: my guess is the file is in UIBB, which seems to be in a different format to most the other resource files. Magic Team's R8 editor has some success loading the file, but looking at the binary it doesn't look like their editor fully supports it, my own R8/R16 editor doesn't work with UIBB.

Edited by mvi
  • Upvote 1

Haven't thought that people would play the high res version even with the glitches. I have written a patch which creates a workaround till a proper fix is done to the UI. The workaround removes the glitches, adds a black side bar and removes top bar. The patch also allows you to setup any resolution supported by your hardware.

I would strongly recommend not running the game at a resolution higher then 1024x768, as it ruins several elements of the game, such as buildings being placed incorrectly (out of place, off of concrete, fog of war not being erased properly, units still being rendered at the top of screen when you scroll, and tilesets loading incorrectly. Seems to work fine on 1024x768 though.