Dune2K - High Resolution

CCHyper

Hey guys!

Im considering making a high resolution patch for Dune2K :P

From what i know, Dune2K was the base engine / first engine in the Westwood library. I have extensive databases on C&C, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun etc. so i know quite a bit about out the games followed suit.

Only problem is, i lack Dune2k lol.

Once i get a copy, i will begin to create a database on the game as see if its possible. Would you guys want this?

Hell, I'd love it.  One of the main reasons I haven't yet played Dune 2000 is that the resolution is crappy.  If you could get it to run in a higher resolution (with the corresponding higher definition graphics you mention) then I'd definitely be interested.

I cant change the graphics, they stay the same, but the game would be able to run at a higher resolution, thus being able to see more on the Tactical View and making the sidebar longer.

Im working on similar projects for the C&C games: Red Alert, C&C and Sole Survivor.

EDIT: I just noticed the game patches dont check for registry entry's, i have a copy of the latest EXE, gonna take a butchers at the code :)

EDIT2: Its nice that the game holds strings that name most classes :P, so i should have no trouble getting it to run in high resolution, only thing i worry about it the sidebar, might be like C&C95...

@Thumper: I will :)

@Sandy Shane: There is a point, some people still play it.

EDIT: Interesting, it seems that Dune2k works like Sole Survivor. It dont have a variable table for drawing objects, not like Red Alert and C&C95...

Also, Dune2k has the option to run the game in a desktop window ;D

~ Why cant i upload attachments?

• 5 weeks later...

Hmm, well, lets just say life is busy at the moment :P

I have been doing a few things here and there, mapped out most of the AIClass and some other misc functions like movie playing. But resolution wise, i have not yet, as soon as i do, ill post info up :)

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on the high res patch? I'd love to see some pics if any available as yet..

I'm still having problems with split screen on XP (which I gather is because my graphics card is not compatible, but I can't afford atm to by another 1. I haves g-force 5500) Maybe then with the patch it might work..

Err, hmm, i could get some screenshots, but there is not much visual progress. Mostly code wise.

Problem i am having is that the game seems to clip at 640x400, just like RA does, so making the patch work is not like how it was done in TD...

Did i also mention i found a bool for running the game in a window? I could screenshot that when i have some free time from work...

I think that Dune2000 has only 640x400 resolution or 640x480, such as Red Alert and Tiberian Danwn Gold. Is it possible to change the resolution to 1024x768? This happened to Tiberian Dawn and will happen soon to Red Alert.

• 1 month later...

Urg, sorry, i have been very busy...

Ill try to post some updates by the end of the week :)

EDIT: Some info, dunno if everyone knows the command line parameters for the game. I have not tested these yet.

-M disables movies

-S disables audio

-N skips the intro movie *or* puts the game in network mode

-8 forces 8bit graphic

-6 is *unknown*, graphics related

-F disables the video back buffer

-G forces the game to 640x480

EDIT2: if anyone here are experience with hacking or such...

There is a bool here, "gFullScreen" - 004EB008 (raw: E9808), change this to "00" and the game will run in a desktop window, the logic is messy though...

• 2 weeks later...