Why are FAT people hated so much??

To a certain extent, genetics has a role to play because of differing metabolic rates, and the difference between metabolic rates and consumption rates being wide.

But now that we have brought in consumption rates, we also have the non-genetic problem. A greater proportion in Singapore are overweight, and don't tell me it's because more people are inheriting genes that give them a lower metabolic rate.

Dude, it has to do with the McDonalds, KFC and what-not. To a certain extent.

It's like I said in my previous post, being overweight is (for the vast majority) nothing to do with McDonalds, metabolism or genetics.  And yes, exatreides, there are some who stuff their faces and try to blame genetics for their overindulgence, but do not presume to categorise ALL overweight people by that same token.

When everyone - fat and thin - wakes up to the real facts about weight problems, then and ONLY THEN will we see a reduction in obese individuals.  Diets will be abolished for the failures that they are and proper education will be introduced.  Until then, overweight people will have to endure the ignorance of others, possibly due to their own ignorance of how to deal with it.

In Toronto, Canada I also blame the public transportation system.  In downtown I can walk between subway stops in less than 7 minutes . Overal I can walk between bus stops in less than 2 or 5 minutes. Busses here are like dogs they stop at every corner.

Just a little addendum to prove that the proper education can make a difference.

I've been following a system that teaches a lot of what I mentioned in my long reply above, and in only 15 days (of eating whatever I like, getting completely drunk on one occasion and very little exercise) I've lost half a stone.

I'm not sure.  Depends on how many heat calories are released per gram of fat.  So if you know this and you know the body fat/body weight ratio of the individuals in question then you could figure out how many pounds of fat is present, convert the grams to pounds from the heatcalory/fatgrams  ratio and figure out how many heat calories would result.  Although when it comes to converting heat to jewels and the such I'm completely lost.

I kinda feel like a bad person now.

It's like I said in my previous post, being overweight is (for the vast majority) nothing to do with McDonalds, metabolism or genetics.

I have no idea how greater affluence would result in more people adopting the habit of finishing everything on their plate. So the ratio of the amount of leftover food to the number of people in the world has decreased as time passes, despite food being more readily available now than half a century ago?

Your argument on psychology does not dismiss the metabolic consideration. The metabolic consideration, however, mitigates the effects of psychology. A hungry person would be burning more energy than the 'full' person, as the latter would be storing more of the excess energy as fat and glycogen. People with a high metabolic rate will be burning the stored energy at a greater rate even for basal metabolic rate, let alone the rate of energy-burning when the person is active. This is the aforementioned mitigation, as people with a greater metabolic rate will still burn stored energy at a greater rate, regardless of how much they have eaten, compared to one with a lower metabolic rate.

Wow...I think I need a tissue. Anybody got a spare shoulder, too? :'(

I had no idea my insensitivity could be so hurtful.

Dayum...all those missed chances to make the tubbies cry. >:(

Are you serious about that? If you are, you bloody well keep your thoughts and insults to yourself, if you dislike someone for whatever reason whether it's right or wrong, I don't think you can justify being so playful and so insensitive to the situation. I don't think I could sympathize with people who don't treat everyone in the world with respect because they are different, you can dislike people for something bad they did to you, but I do not think it is right that it is right if you dislike people because of their appearance, how they eat or what their views, religions and cultures are. If they want to eat food, then they're spending THEIR money on the food that THEY want to eat, fat people don't want to be fat (usually), it's usually caused by depression.

No there not eating there food. There eating mine, there sucking up tax dollars in the hospital for stomach staples, and liposuction that they would never have to get if they wernt....

Lazy disgusting blobs. Who's soul purpose in life is getting a sexy new cheeseburger in their gullet, and complaining when people harras them for smelling, taking up space on public transportation that they didn't pay for. And all around being whiny about a preventable condition.

As a EMT, you know how hard it is to transport a Bariatric patient?

My AIt was inside San Antonio Tx. The fattest city in America.

Which means, the largest city in the world.

Being Obese is a choice, all you have to do is compare obesity rates in America with that of Europe and Asia.

Well except for Belgium, Those guys are HUGE! ha

Are you serious about that? If you are, you bloody well keep your thoughts and insults to yourself, if you dislike someone for whatever reason whether it's right or wrong, I don't think you can justify being so playful and so insensitive to the situation. I don't think I could sympathize with people who don't treat everyone in the world with respect because they are different, you can dislike people for something bad they did to you, but I do not think it is right that it is right if you dislike people because of their appearance, how they eat or what their views, religions and cultures are. If they want to eat food, then they're spending THEIR money on the food that THEY want to eat, fat people don't want to be fat (usually), it's usually caused by depression.

High hormonal tide day down there, or what?

Don't be a silly git. Of course I'm not "serious"; when am I ever serious?

There are several obscenely fat people on this planet that I positively loath and would like to see reduced to industrial purpose lard, but I despise them because of things they have done to me, not because they're fat. (And I don't mean this namby-pamby diffuse virtual harm of raising my taxes and health care costs by being fat, I mean real inconvenience and even distress directly caused by a tubbo. Like that super sumo sow at a past job who'd lived over here longer than I had but who still couldn't manage more than babytalk in the language, so I had to sit beside her and translate/interpret for her at the faculty meetings...the problem being that she literally had the personal hygiene of a pig and therefore smelled like one as well. At least I got off easier than the little guy with asthma on the other side of her: he had to be helped from the meeting room on more than one occasion. THERE IS SIMPLY NO EXCUSE FOR THAT KIND OF CRAP.)

Nasty people being fat as well is just icing on the cake. Otherwise, I really don't care if someone's overweight or not, within reason. When it's obvious that they're well beyond the "just carrying around a few extra pounds" level, for reasons besides an underlying physiological cause, then they become, for me, an object of scorn.

The willfully obese and mentally ill are never going to get cut any slack by me. Deal.

I find it strange that in the US it is more socially acceptable to be condescending towards smokers than it is towards fat people.  People lecture me for being a smoker, but I've never scene anyone lectured for being fat, with the exception of a parent to a child.

Side note:  My grandfather being old and from the south, you'd think he didn't like black people. However, he's only ever mentioned a serious dislike for fat people.  Any time someone's name comes up in conversation who is even just "chubby", my grandpa makes this weird face and is like "oh, so and so?  she's fat.  She's a pig."  etc...  I don't think there's even any logic behind it, he just doesn't like it.