Emperor : LAN game run too fast

meester

Oh I like this game, it's the speed in mp I don't like. And it IS a matter of preference, I completely accept that. And your right I need to relax, but it irritates me beyond believe that after 7 years it is not common knowledge that you can't adjust the speed in multiplayer.

The sad truth is no one in a multiplayer game is going to play on game speed 2 or 3. It just doesn't happen.

Honestly if you dont like the game speed dont play, thats what makes the game so strategic, is the speed you dont have time to build out a long drawn battle, you have to defend the oncoming zerg of units, the time you spend defending or attacking at the beginning is your time to plan out what you want to do in the game, honestly i think you should just try something a bit slower and leave the dune community to the ones that can handle the speed =) gl in your endevour.

The sad truth is no one in a multiplayer game is going to play on game speed 2 or 3. It just doesn't happen.

For crying out loud, you CAN'T. That's the problem you CAN'T adjust the game speed settings, and btw I would prefer speed 6. speed 2 or 3 is ofcourse way to slow. Same as speed 8 is way too fast for a lot of people. (hence this reoccuring thread)

Honestly if you dont like the game speed dont play, thats what makes the game so strategic, is the speed you dont have time to build out a long drawn battle, you have to defend the oncoming zerg of units, the time you spend defending or attacking at the beginning is your time to plan out what you want to do in the game, honestly i think you should just try something a bit slower and leave the dune community to the ones that can handle the speed =) gl in your endevour.

Already done, seeing as every other RTS out there is slower it was not that hard =). Keep in mind that I'm not bashing you guys for liking the super fast speed.(never did!)

I've not read the entire thread, but I wonder if vsync is enabled for your graphic options. vsync causes it to cap the framerate at your currently set monitor refresh rate. If it's disabled, it'd run at a friggin high speed.

Try doing direct3d video tests on dxdiag and see if the cube spins normally or extremely quickly. If it's very fast, enable vsync.

It won't help. Instead of bashing you I'll try a different approach and explain why for a change.

Like I said before it's the game speed, which is always set to 8 (instead of user configurable)

Now, being a game programmer myself let me explain how that works.

this is the formula to move a unit "pixelsToMove = timeBetweenFrames*velocity"

the variable timeBetweenFrames (an integer) is calculated as follows:

time = timeGetTime(); // normally we use processor tics instead of system time (also an integer)

//Do all graphical drawing

timeBetweenFrames = timeGetTime() - time;

As you can probably tell the faster the computer the LOWER the value in timeBetweenFrames.

The variable velocity (a float) has 8 different values per unit in dune which could be:

velocity = 0.0012f; //game speed 1 (f for making sure it will be a float)

velocity = 0.0024f; // game speed 2

etc

velocity = 1.0f; // game speed 8

variable pixelsToMove is a float. Now the smart among you figured out that with this formula you can keep speed constant on every computer on the planet. When a computer draws a lot of frames the distance moved every frame becomes very small and the game runs fluently, on very slow computers the distance is quite big which gives a stuttering effect.(yes, that's where stuttering comes from)

And that means that your advice won't work because you would just lower the value in "timeBetweenFrames" with enabling Vsync or other such things adviced here. You want the adjust the value in "velocity" but that's just not possible because it's coded in the executable and that's why there is no solution to the way too fast speed in multiplayer.

For crying out loud, you CAN'T. That's the problem you CAN'T adjust the game speed settings, and btw I would prefer speed 6. speed 2 or 3 is ofcourse way to slow. Same as speed 8 is way too fast for a lot of people. (hence this reoccuring thread)

Man Yes you !CAN!. The way to do that is if everyone playing in your game all sets thier game speed at the start of game.But like I said good luck trying to get others to do that online as we all play with max game speed.I don't understand why you don't get that point of online game play. NO ONE plays reduced game speed in multiplayer games period.If you want to play online with game speed lower then tell the ones your playing with to change their's as well. When everyone changes to games speed 2 or 6 IT WORKS...That doesen't take advanced programming skills to understand.  ::)

Well since the game was released it has always worked that way.Which is the reason we always tell new players to please set game speed on 8 and graphics to all low for the best game speed lag free.And I know i'm not the only one that understands this. If your still not convinced then jump online and I will show you.

Don't be so hardheaded. Just test it with one of your friends, set both your game speeds to 1 and you'll see it won't make a difference. That will be way easier than us trying to meet online.

As a side note maybe one of the patches broke the game speed in mp?

Listen up you idiot, I tested this more than once (YES ON YOUR SERVER!!)and I have enough of this forum and its lies. It does not work, what's the next thing you're going to tell me? That there is a hidden game speed bar aside from the one in options? (because someone already beat you to that).

you clearly never ever tested it out and just assumes it works because it works in sp, don't you? Fucking moron, I'm not gonna fall for the same bullshit twice!

This is my final response, for other people having this problem please see my findings on page 1 (reply #20) which boils down to: "there is no solution"

Dude, Onsympatico... chill out. There is no need to flame.

You say it plays too fast for you on LAN; the members of this forum who regularly play online and not LAN have given you their suggestions. Rather than flame and call people names, regardless of if it is the right solution to your exact problem, why don't you thank them for offering up their advice and be one your way since your problem seems unable to be rectified here. No one had to click your topic nor did they have hit reply and offer you suggestions.

Thanks and enjoy the rest of your stay at Fed2k.

And by the way, my kid and I tried it, slowed it down to 2, and it was like death, we had to end the game and set the speed back to 8. So perhaps you need to find a new game where people wont try to trick you with their lies....... muu ah ha- ha- ha-

• 11 years later...

12 years later and I'm trying to find some support for game speed. Sad to hear that  speed 8 is considered by Westwood to be a standardized speed. It is definitely not the same speed that the animations are meant for. I get the whole competitive aspect but if anything the real time speed should have been what they landed on as a standard but I digress.

if there's anyone out there who still cares about this game add me on discord puffypuffpuff#7502.

PS: The little drama was hilarious, thanks for giving me entertainment.