Dune 2 Seed File Map Codes

sokrates

Ok, i was lately diggin out this good old game Dune II, having fun enjoying it again and again.

So i was doing a little bit research, because i wanted to create own basic maps, which can be used for building them into new scenarios.

After getting the avaible editors i was a little bit depressed, because none of them was able too create new maps :)

So ok, the seed map file (*.MAP) are basicly direct text files, which you can edit as you please if you know the structure.

Standard map is 64x64, i think it maybe possible to even create larger maps (128x128) if the exe file would allow this (writting a patch ;))

Map specifications :

66 row's and columns

Sign's 1-64 in each row gives the playable ground, sign's 65 and 66 are map border (symbolized by "rr")

column's 1-64 in each row gives the playable ground, sign's 65 and 66 are map border (symbolized by "rr")

Map Legend :

")" = Sand

"^" = rock buildable

"%" = rock to sand border (buildable, surrounds normal rock always)

"R" = high rock (infantry only, not buildable)

"-" = spice field

"+" = spice field double

"r" = map border (also seen surrounded by R, maybe its unpassable rock xD)

There are other which i could not identify exactly at the moment :

"$" = maybe incomplete normal rock (not buildable) - just a guess

"(" = not sure, seen this within normal rock and outside it

"#" = no guess

I made two small screenshots of two *.MAP files viewed in Linux less text view programm :

http://imgfreehost.com/out.php?i20173_604.MAP.jpg

http://imgfreehost.com/out.php?i20174_1000.MAP.jpg

So you may get an picture how we can make new seed maps with an simple editor ;-)

Unfortunately these seed maps are extractions of the real game. SO editing these files won't affect anything in dune 2 itself. The seed map is generated by a seed number (for the terrain generator). Just like you need a seed for a 'random' number when coding.

""$" = maybe incomplete normal rock (not buildable) - just a guess"

This, I think, corresponds with map colour RGB 080, 080, 060, used for rock at 'points'. I think the file may be something to do with the radar HUD.

I believe the earlier seed maps used special symbols for border tiles, e.g. sand/rock etc., but they are not necessary for D2TM/Dune Legacy/TCH's Scenario Editor to correctly display the map.