Notebook PCI Express Slot

Ok if anyone can tell me what this "useless" slot does and why it is a part of any laptop would be helpful. The old PCI slot had many uses let us see flash memory, wireless cards, extra usb ports, etc. I can not even find one product to use in the express slot is it just me did I miss something? 

Ok if anyone can tell me what this "useless" slot does and why it a part of any laptop would be helpful. 

Well I don't use a laptop at all, but I consider my PCIe-16 slot the most important slot of my mainboard for graphics. Other than my sound card. Basically an upgraded slot of the older AGP slot.

I also have 2 PCI 1x slots that I will probably use for some more SATA connections via Sata card.

Not much different than say SDRAM is to DDR2...it's just the way newer mainboards are made nowadays.

Well, most all AM2's anyway.

It is most commonly used for memory, graphics, WLAN and BlueTooth expansions to your laptop. Think I have seen an 3G and encryption module for PCI express slot's somewhere to.

Apple has been known to use laptop hardware in their productlines. Including notebook PCI express slots.

@Ghosthunter

I know and that is what is annoying about the notebook PCI Express slot the industry starting changing (around 2003?) to include the card slot in newer notebooks but as of yet I can find nothing to use it for except an empty space. I have flash memory that I used with my older notebook that I need to use with my new notebook. I can not even find an adapter so that I could use the flash memory. It is not so much as using a wireless card I just mentioned that to show the uses of the older slot as compared to none on the newer PCI notebook express slot.

@Andrew and Scar

Thanks for the information I knew about the use in deskstops and at least you get to use the slot in the deskstop computer lol. I would be nice to say the same for my laptop.

@Gryphon

I have not been able to find these expansions (bluetooth and memory) any suggestions (websites)?