XCC editor now supports Dune II WSA files

Dunenewt

Unfortunately, he didn't take the opportunity do do some additional fixes, like opening the middle column file browseer by default (LOADS of people don't know about THIS), implementing names from other Westwood games that use mix format (like Blade Runner), or adapt his Dune II SHP file algorythm so it identifies the RA mouse cursor as Dune II SHP -_-

I don't know what this means, but it was only posted today, so I thought I'd share the information.

May 2nd wasn't today. ;)

Increasing the width of the middle column would mean decreasing the width of the right column. I'm not sure that's good, although you're right that it's an issue.

I don't have (names of) other WS games, do you?

So it only plays Dune 2 WSAs? No conversion into Dune 2 WSA format yet?

I can get you a pretty big list, yes. Of Sole Survivor and Blade Runner, mainly.

Speaking of Sole Survivor, I remember posting a list of unidentified files from the new MIXes some time ago here at the XCC Forum.

I don't know what this means, but it was only posted today, so I thought I'd share the information.

SHARK: You're what again?

EYE: Eye-minent. Fruitfully Eye-minent.

SHARK: I... don't know what that means, but yes. Yes you are.

:D

Increasing the width of the middle column would mean decreasing the width of the right column. I'm not sure that's good, although you're right that it's an issue.

Olaf, the age of 800x600 monitors is long gone. Opening it up really doesn't bother anyone ;)

btw, another thing you could implement (which I haven't explicitly tested in the new version, but assume isn't in there) is automatically performing XCC Editor's "Compact Mix" function whenever a mixfile is edited. I don't know if you noticed, but the TFD RA1 main.mix file (made with XCC Mixer) is 1.2 GB, while the same file after compacting is only about 870 MB :-

Olaf, the age of 800x600 monitors is long gone. Opening it up really doesn't bother anyone ;)

btw, another thing you could implement (which I haven't explicitly tested in the new version, but assume isn't in there) is automatically performing XCC Editor's "Compact Mix" function whenever a mixfile is edited. I don't know if you noticed, but the TFD RA1 main.mix file (made with XCC Mixer) is 1.2 GB, while the same file after compacting is only about 870 MB :-

Hmm, I'll think about that second column.

And yes, I did notice. :P

The reason this isn't done by default is performance. If you're frequently editing MIXs, it's a lot faster without compacting every time.

I figured it was about performance, but it's still annoying... you could always build in a small test... like, compact it if you notice that the filesize of the edited file will be more than 115% of the sum of the sizes of the files in it, or something like that. That way, minor changes won't compact it (unless it's a tiny mixfile maybe, but in that case compacting won't take any more time than normal saving anyway).

Because people don't expect it to take more space than it should, and don't bother using Mix Editor?

I know there's no such thing as download limitations in the Netherlands, but I sure have them here, so I'd prefer if mods I want to download aren't bigger than they have to be...

Because people don't expect it to take more space than it should, and don't bother using Mix Editor?

The behaviour is the same for both and both can do compact.

I know there's no such thing as download limitations in the Netherlands, but I sure have them here, so I'd prefer if mods I want to download aren't bigger than they have to be...

That's a good point. I expected mod authors to use compact before distribution.

Maybe doing auto-compact on not-so-large files would be a good plan.

Oh... I just right-clicked ON a mixfile... seemed logical since that menu has file manipulation options. So then I did expect the options to be relative to the file I click on, and not the mixfile I happen to have opened.

Oh... I just right-clicked ON a mixfile... seemed logical since that menu has file manipulation options. So then I did expect the options to be relative to the file I click on, and not the mixfile I happen to have opened.

Hmm, I don't remember why it has been implemented like that.