Dune news round-up

Dunenewt

Firstly, Dune II is again mentioned as a pioneering game, in a comparison between Westwood Studios/EALA and Blizzard on 1up.com, and asks an interesting question, 'without Westwood's pioneering work in Dune II, what would WarCraft and StarCraft have been like?' 

Moving on, does anyone live in Ottawa, Canada?  If so, an article on the Ottawa Citizen website has described the Superdome in Ben Franklin Park, as having 'the shape and texture of a boil - and not just any boil, but one of the really nasty ones on the body of the villainous Baron Harkonnen in David Lynch's movie version of Dune.'  I was unable to find many clear pictures of the building on the internet, as it appears to be quite a new construction, but there are a couple of it being built on the Superdome website.  Tell us what you think on whether this is a fair comparison, especially if, like Mahdi and Vanguard on the forums, you're from Ottawa.

The composer of the Children of Dune miniseries soundtrack, Brian Tyler, will be at the Varese Sarabande 30th Anniversary Event at Dark Delicacies in Burbank, California on Saturday, May 10th at 2 PM, according to the FilmMusicMag.  The event represents the largest gathering in memory of film composers assembled for a signature event.  Tyler has also scored music for Rambo, Star Trek: Enterprise, and The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, so if you're in the area, and want to get your copy of the CoD DVD signed, head over there.  Pictures are permitted, so try to get a shot for this website, and ask him if he wants to score the soundtrack for the new Dune film!

When the words 'Dune' and 'fashion' are mentioned together, it is usually in reference to the Dune footwear brand, but according to io9.com, the kind of clothes seen in the Dune miniseries will be 'a style you'll wear in the future'.  The article says 'Dune, at least in the Sci-Fi imagining of it, is basically a future where strange headgear have taken over.'.  Including in the article is the following picture, if you want to see what they're getting at:

dunehatlolwut.jpg

Using a phrase which could create a killing frenzy on the forums, Inc.com compares EA to the Fremen, in an article about the early years of EA in the 80s.  To read more, click here.

Finally, for those of you who have been following the news about the new Dune film will know that Peter Berg will be directing the movie.  His latest film, Hancock, stars Will Smith and is due to released on July 2nd.  The plot goes as follows: 'Will Smith portrays an alcoholic and lazy vagrant with no respect for authority or property. Ironically, he also possesses superpowers and the destruction he leaves in his wake makes him despised by everyone. A publicist (Jason Bateman) emerges to help rehabilitate him, and the new superhero eventually begins an affair with the publicist's wife (Charlize Theron).'  The trailer is available on the official Hancock site, and based on the trailer (somehow, I don't know how they could have done this myself) the Calgary Herald have given the film a 3 1/2 out of 5.  I noticed on the article, that people are already including Dune in his directing credits after his name, even though the film isn't even in pre-production yet (or is it, news still isn't forthcoming on the new film).

I had to google to check you weren't making that last one up.

Um...why would anyone want to write/make something like that...let alone go see it? ::)

Wait and see...this selection of Berg for Dune is going to come back and bite them on the bum.

(Which is, of course, fine with me.)