New Games?

Savageman

Medieval 2: Total War

Nothing at all like Dune 2000 but the best strategy I've seen in a very long time. If you like true strategy it will appeal.

I played Rome: Total War a bit at my brothers and LOVED it.  I'd like to get it for myself, but for the length of time I play a video game before growing bored of it, it's not worth the money.

If you can play it Medieval 2 is much better than Rome which got quite boring after a while. But I've been playing Medieval 2 for about a year now and it's so expansive and immersive it is really hard to get bored of, even if you seriously downgrade the graphics as I do.

Ah cool. That was the reason I was really interested in Rome as well, although the Greek side let me down a bit, they were far too easy to win with.

Hoplites were quite powerful. Set up a line of them and the enemy could not get though them. Perfect for defence, especially when defending city with only a couple entrances to the flag.

• 2 weeks later...

''Medieval 2: Total War

Nothing at all like Dune 2000 but the best strategy I've seen in a very long time. If you like true strategy it will appeal.''

Indeed. The Total War series is virtually unique in it's offer of true strategy. A must have (that is, one of the series' games) for any strategy gamer I'd say... unless of course you prefer focusing on micro and whatnot.

Hoplites were quite powerful. Set up a line of them and the enemy could not get though them. Perfect for defence, especially when defending city with only a couple entrances to the flag.

They are powerfull in closed locations like city gates but get them out in the open where cavalry (or even infantry, for that matter) can outflank them and buh-bye.  Which, awesomely enough, is why they became obsolete in history as well.  No one after Alexander used them properly.

By micro-management I didn't mean small scale issues and tactical considerations. I was referring to the issue of dexterity that arises in some ''strategy'' games where the action is sufficiently ''fast-paced'' that it is actually difficult to issue forth your orders and control your troops as intended. I'd say that things in Total War (troop movements and battle) progress sufficiently slowly that you can control your troops as you actually intend (or at least your troops actions (or lack thereof) will match your intentions more closely than in most RTS's). Of course, there are times where some forgotten regiments far from the most attention-grabbing and important part of the battlefield runs to it's doom whilst your not looking on some forgotten journey you sent them on.