Dune FPS/RTS !?

DragoFire

I'm wondering who'd be interested in a FPS/RTS or even RPG (if I can work out the scripting).

I've seen someone working on an FPS using C&C's Renegade, Tribes and even a mention of OFP(Operation FlashPoint). I know a bit about all three, and found OFP and it's latest incarnation ArmA(Armed Assault) adds even more possible features.

Features like;

Helicopters

Planes

Tanks

Motorbikes

Cars/Trucks

destructive building/objects

Multi-turrets

3 inbuilt sides (blue/red/yellow  USA/USSR/Neutral) (these can be made freindly or hostile to each other)

Advanced AI (near human actions/reactions)

Advanced and user enhanced scripts (nukes, poison gas, etc...) (With this script modder have made couple of RPGmods for ArmA already)

Full set of tools available ranging from basic scripting tools through to map and model making tools.

Know the community here and in ArmA I could say a team could be built up within an month and maybe even have a few test addons/models in game within a month of that. Ideally I'd like to get the models and maps done and make a few missions like the battles in the original movie and then add more maps and missions based on other key battles in the Dune series of books. Later move this into an RTS Version and then RPG version.

I'd like to hear from everyone about before I put this on the ArmA editors forums.

DragoFire

What you need to find out first, is whether enough Dune fans own the original game, to make a Dune mod for it worthwhile.  I do think it sounds like a good idea though.  If there isn't enough interest for an ArmA mod, then perhaps you could help with the Renegade mod?

What you need to find out first, is whether enough Dune fans own the original game, to make a Dune mod for it worthwhile.  I do think it sounds like a good idea though.  If there isn't enough interest for an ArmA mod, then perhaps you could help with the Renegade mod?

This was one of the reasons for posting here, can do renegade, but find it limiting in what you can do. Arma tends to add the extra realism to mod, eg.. shot out wheel to disable vehicles, shot a tail rotor off and down a copter, cool things like that, plus some very cool scripting effect and actions. Maps start at 56x56 Kms and be increased by scaling models down with very little lost of terrain graphics.

But I'll help if need be till I hear if anyone interested in an ArmA mod version.

Yeah, that sounds good then.  If you are still interested in doing a mod for ArmA, I would recommend starting a thread on that game in our Gaming board, so you can see how many people over here have the game.

By the way, welcome to Fed2k DragoFire.

Yeah, that sounds good then.  If you are still interested in doing a mod for ArmA, I would recommend starting a thread on that game in our Gaming board, so you can see how many people over here have the game.

By the way, welcome to Fed2k DragoFire.

Will do, not really an new member, been around along time, just never registered before. :)

Post for those who are interested in this idea here's the link to the topic; http://forum.dune2k.com/index.php?topic=20666.0

This includes a more detailed vision of what I'd like to do. And maybe later once I'm happy with this, I might try the MMORPG path, but have to do the baby steps first.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I see this thread has been dead for some time, but i just wanted to add some thoughts here. I was playing Killzone 2 a while ago and couldn't help noticing the similarities between it and the world of Arrakis. It's all shrouded in sand, dust and wind and the Helghast really reminds me of Harkonnen. After playing it a while the thought just struck me: "WOW, imagine this game; the graphics, the intensisty, the scenery... only... DUNE!" How cool wouldn't a DUNE Fps be? Imagine playing as Atreides, Harkkonen or FREMEN(!), exploring the different technologies, different weapons (sonic weapons for example) or hell, even SUMMONING A SANDWORM and see it tearing everything to shreds. I imagine cloaking devices for Fremen, healing capabilities for Atreides and some seriously fucked up firepower for Harkkonen. And of course, utilizing the Spice for different psychic upgrades and stuff like that. Seriously... It must be done.

The Topic isn't dead just not added too in a while. What you have posted is intended to be added to my little project, along with a few other things to liven things up. Having move away from the mod idea and working with a true game engine, I can see no limits other than what Ican code and product.

As in another post it is slow work atm, new job and all! ;)  But lots of information and concept work has been put down on paper, and a little bit of coding has been started.

Work on your ideas and wishes for the game to be sure, but might I suggest attempting to keep to the concepts in the core novels? Its very similar to what Issac Asimov once said about his robot laws, in that he could have written stories without them, but having them makes things so much more interesting and complex.

In this case, doing without the non-canon concepts from the movie/games can produce a much more exciting game, instead of just "another-fps" with different colored weapons, and name changes. You can see where I'm coming from I'm sure if you have peeked at all at my Dune mod for Tribes, and certainly (as I've learned) it doesn't appeal to everyone, but it certainly makes for a more interesting and complex idea and game as a result. That and because of his writing style, there is still much to be interpreted (to provide for creative and artistic personalization), even if you do require at least starting point that is solidly in the novels.

Work on your ideas and wishes for the game to be sure, but might I suggest attempting to keep to the concepts in the core novels? Its very similar to what Issac Asimov once said about his robot laws, in that he could have written stories without them, but having them makes things so much more interesting and complex.

In this case, doing without the non-canon concepts from the movie/games can produce a much more exciting game, instead of just "another-fps" with different colored weapons, and name changes. You can see where I'm coming from I'm sure if you have peeked at all at my Dune mod for Tribes, and certainly (as I've learned) it doesn't appeal to everyone, but it certainly makes for a more interesting and complex idea and game as a result. That and because of his writing style, there is still much to be interpreted (to provide for creative and artistic personalization), even if you do require at least starting point that is solidly in the novels.

I have no plan to use the games as any referance point. But in saying that I won't stop player from using what will be included in the game concept, to make Dune based RTS based equipment and weapons, providing they can produce the money/spice to fund the research and development of the prototype and then the manufactoring plants to make mass projection units. But to get anywhere near these would require players to be very good at their skill group to earn the money, or be part of a guild/house and pool the guild/houses funds.

But this is stuff I've already looked at and thought about a number of times. Some factions wouldn't be playable, yet certain special classes/skill groups will be.

Thanks for your input, it all helps me refine what I've done so far in concept.

• 1 year later...