Dungeons and Dune: Gob's Dungeon

Edric O

Can you create a class? If I try the game, I wanna be a telekinetic/some sort of psychic class, but I doubt there is.

There are a form of Phyhic attacks in AD&D, possibly the Monk class would be good for you Kirby or the Illusionist but both are limited/weaker at the early levels.

I thought PnP doesn't have a combat grid? I don't remember the presence of any "movement points" like Warhammer measuring distances.

Movement distances in D&D are measured in feet, but it is common to use 5-foot squares on a grid for the sake of simplicity. It is not strictly necessary, though.

Eh, since the timing is being a big issue for my side, I could easily pull out. But aren't you in Romania? I'm just 5 hours ahead of you.

Unless you're somewhere else.

I'm in London right now, and I think the earliest we can begin to play on a regular night is around 8 pm, which would be 3 am in Singapore. Unless we decide to play during the day over the weekend.

Well, I'm quite familiar with spellcasting in Neverwinter Nights, though I don't know how qualified a spellcaster I would be based on that in this game.

The mechanics are basically the same. You will probably have to use completely different tactics from NWN, though, because many spells have different effects in PnP and you can't rest as often.

Low level magic users are extremely weak in D&D and generally protected by the rest of the party but they are generally needed to provide the intellect for the group.

Yes... but this would be a good time for me to mention that I plan to start this campaign with level 10 characters. :)

what format do you generally use for character creation edric0 as there are several variants?

Do you do the straight forward 3 6s dice and then pick which attribute it attached too or do you do the set throw and allow adjustment or the 4 6s dice lose the lowest number no adjustment etc

How you create the character stats often effects what your going to play both race and class wise.

I plan to use the NWN style points system, where you can buy your ability scores with points. I don't like the idea of rolling dice for ability scores because I want players to have full control over the design of their own character.

Basing on what I know so far, I'll probably pick the Ranger Class. It appears to start pretty basic, but gets more complex as it levels. Which is a good thing I think. First get used to it, and then slowly new abilities will present themselves to be used.

I think it can be managed for the entire party to be present. UTC afternoon is the most likely timeslot. It will be evening for gunner, and morning for the Andrew and Vanguard. Best thing would be for everyone to post their availability hours (just a basic idea, not your entire schedule):

Hours available, in theory: 6:00 UTC - 23:00 UTC

Hours available, normally: 11:00 UTC - 22:00 UTC

(Note that UTC doesn't know DST).

This is not binding, it certainly doesn't mean I'm always available at these times, it just shows it is possible. So this just means I'm never available outside these times. I wouldn't dare to play while I'm at work. :D

I don't think I can work with a drawing feature in MSN (using a third-party client). Perhaps you can inform people of the coordinates of a specific element, and people will manage their own grid?

Okay. You're in London. Now that's a challenge. My weekends are usually not free.

My usual free time will be 11:00 to 16:00 GMT if I'm not working late.

If I'm working late, it should be 13:00 to 16:00 GMT.

Weekends... my Saturdays for the next couple of weeks will be completely blocked. As for Sundays, 10:00 to 16:00GMT.

Yep.

I'm okay with playing differently. I've played modules with restricted resting and they sure hurt, especially when the spells aren't tailored to be more powerful then.

Why level 10 characters? I prefer starting from scratch. I'm not deciding on a character choice yet, but tentatively a True Neutral Human Sorcerer.

Well my nephew used to do a fast track Character thing for quick matches.

18, 18, 16, 14, 14, 14. you could then adjust the score up/down by taking a point from one to the other(Plus your race and class bonuses if any).

Starting level three. Hit points maximum for all 3 levels.

This gives you a good chance of survival and still the challenge of progression.

Basing on what I know so far, I'll probably pick the Ranger Class. It appears to start pretty basic, but gets more complex as it levels. Which is a good thing I think. First get used to it, and then slowly new abilities will present themselves to be used.

Bear in mind that we won't be starting from level 1, though. I proposed level 10; that may get revised downwards, but it will still have to be at least level 3-5.

I think it can be managed for the entire party to be present. UTC afternoon is the most likely timeslot. It will be evening for gunner, and morning for the Andrew and Vanguard. Best thing would be for everyone to post their availability hours (just a basic idea, not your entire schedule):

Hours available, in theory: 6:00 UTC - 23:00 UTC

Hours available, normally: 11:00 UTC - 22:00 UTC

(Note that UTC doesn't know DST).

This is not binding, it certainly doesn't mean I'm always available at these times, it just shows it is possible. So this just means I'm never available outside these times. I wouldn't dare to play while I'm at work. :D

Yeah... I'm at work from 10:00 to 17:00 GMT, and I don't get back home until 18:30 GMT usually. So I would be available to play between 19:00 and around 00:00 GMT most weekdays. (is GMT an hour ahead of UTC now because of daylight savings time?)

I don't think I can work with a drawing feature in MSN (using a third-party client). Perhaps you can inform people of the coordinates of a specific element, and people will manage their own grid?

That might work, yes.

As for Sundays, 10:00 to 16:00GMT.

I'm available to play starting at 11:00 GMT on Sundays (I refuse to wake up earlier :P ).

Why level 10 characters? I prefer starting from scratch. I'm not deciding on a character choice yet, but tentatively a True Neutral Human Sorcerer.

Well, I wanted to start right off with interesting opponents. Low-level characters generally only get to fight oversized wildlife and funny-looking humanoids. ;)

Well my nephew used to do a fast track Character thing for quick matches.

18, 18, 16, 14, 14, 14. you could then adjust the score up/down by taking a point from one to the other(Plus your race and class bonuses if any).

Starting level three. Hit points maximum for all 3 levels.

This gives you a good chance of survival and still the challenge of progression.

That's a good idea - we could use that system. But those stats you quoted are overpowered.

"That's a good idea - we could use that system. But those stats you quoted are overpowered."

That was the idea behind the short games, often these characters would be joining higher level characters on hard dungeons but you could modify it to suit your needs.

If the standard is human, so 10's across the board, dungeoneers are supposed to be above average so you could do 12's across the board and then allow the adjustments.

The level 3 start is probably Good and as for hit points, a thing i used to do was for the 1st 3 levels was.

4s die - get 4

6s 8s 10s 12s die - 2,3 on the dice = 4 and 1 = max of the dice.

I think it's a good idea that we start on a higher level.  Ordos mentioned it will be not only a relatively short campaign, but also a sort of "test campaign".  Being at level five or ten will be a good way for everyone, especially those who are rusty at the game (me) or new to it entirely ('Newt), to really get an idea of some of the stuff each class can do, rather than floundering around at level one, with no skills to speak of.

It's all about the skills.

"That's a good idea - we could use that system. But those stats you quoted are overpowered."

That was the idea behind the short games, often these characters would be joining higher level characters on hard dungeons but you could modify it to suit your needs.

If the standard is human, so 10's across the board, dungeoneers are supposed to be above average so you could do 12's across the board and then allow the adjustments.

Well, since we're already starting at a higher level, I don't think we need overpowered stats. We will use the system you just proposed, with some changes as follows:

You start with ability scores of 12 across the board. You can add and subtract points any way you like as long as their sum is zero, but you cannot make any single ability score higher than 18 or lower than 6. After you are done with this, apply race adjustements (if any).

The level 3 start is probably Good and as for hit points, a thing i used to do was for the 1st 3 levels was.

4s die - get 4

6s 8s 10s 12s die - 2,3 on the dice = 4 and 1 = max of the dice.

I'd still rather go with at least a level 5 start, if not level 10. As for the hit dice, we'll use a simpler system: Roll until you get an above-average result. Then keep that result. (so, for example, on a d4 you get to keep a 3 or 4, and on a d12 die you get to keep the first roll you get that is higher than 6)

I think it's a good idea that we start on a higher level.  Ordos mentioned it will be not only a relatively short campaign, but also a sort of "test campaign".  Being at level five or ten will be a good way for everyone, especially those who are rusty at the game (me) or new to it entirely ('Newt), to really get an idea of some of the stuff each class can do, rather than floundering around at level one, with no skills to speak of.

It's all about the skills.

I agree... but I think this is the first time anyone called me "Ordos." That name is usually reserved for Ordos45. :)

My opinion has always been that from a low level, you'd be better able to see your character build up. But since this is a test campaign, anything goes, though being able to play only on Sundays really disincentivises me to play at all. Especially when my weekday free time is within your working time :(

I really hope people won't stop looking at this thread just because it's in Fan Fiction now...

I'll be back in Romania in a little over two weeks, and we probably won't begin until then, so you might be able to play after all.

What we need to do now is decide on a time when all of us can meet on MSN so I can send you character sheets and talk about character creation.

Sure, we can always use another person, seeing how we haven't started anything yet. :) You can find my MSN address in my profile.

Also, I'm sorry for the delay, everyone - I haven't contacted you yet on MSN because this week and the next are very busy for me. After that, however, I should be online more so that we can run into each other on MSN and talk about character creation.