Earth Hour

Mahdi

I was in Sydney last year when they began promoting it and it ended up being surprisingly huge. 

This year it's gone international and it's all over the news, radio, TV, etc here in Canada, with over 185 cities and communities taking part.

Is your area participating?  What will you do during your hour of darkness?

Maybe as people finish there hour they could post here all there activities and the results of the hour.  Since this site is so international we should be getting quite a few regular updates as the day goes over.

In the link I provided Google clearly explain that the black background does not save energy.

As to why we don't do this permanently - it saves no energy; modern displays use the same amount of power regardless of what they display.

It is just for the awareness.

Do USA users get the black background?

Earth hour has been getting coverage in all our newspapers and television (3 main local national broadcasters) for the past week.

Lots of discussion about it, with some municipalities saying they will not be participating, and this gets lots of people talking.

Indeed. Although I'm always wary of events which raise awareness to topics which are already massively publicized and have a huge presence in the media. I feel that awareness is no longer an issue for the environment, solutions and corporate pressure are.

Possibly but I think it will take people opting for environmentally friendly services, in spite of cost, to make power companies realise it is more beneficial to them to shy away from fossil fuels. I doubt they'll do it of their own accord and if people aren't willing to pay for the development of alternate methods (such as nuclear) the companies will not take the risk.

nuclear power isn't going to save us, there are not enough engineers to construct enough powerplants to supply us with the power we need before the dammages are irreversible.

Which is why I think we need to be prepared to invest large amounts of money and as consumers we have to be prepared to foot most of that bill. If nuclear power becomes lucrative you can bet a lot of people will want to become engineers.

It is not that much time before it won't be anything we can do about it. And there is not enough time to think long-term, even if you used all engineers and universities to educate engineers in the world, it wouldn't be enough engineers or time to construct enough solar-panels and nuclearplants to stop it, within the time limit which I heard is around 2040.

If you want to stop it, then you must find another way, because nuclearpower is ineffective  ;)