Hidden stuff

D2k Sardaukar

Nobody who knows about hidden stuff in Dune 2000 or not used stuff in final version?

I think the ice tileset seen on some pre-release screenshots was not used in the final release. At least, I haven't seen it.

big-h2.jpg

It was supposed to represent the polar ice caps on Arrakis I guess.

• Upvote 1

There are ice tilesets in the released dune 2000, but only on border of map and you cannot get on them.

Some other things I have noticed with old screenshots of the game is that:

- Barracks and rocket turret are different in released dune 2000

- icons in menu to build are different in released dune 2000

- house insignia's are different in released dune 2000

- different shadow in release dune 2000

PRE

mapinfo.jpg

RELEASED

mapinfo.jpg

images from: http://dune2k.com/Duniverse/Games/Dune2000/Screenshots/Info

What I really would like to see are units or buildings that you can active in the Dune 2000 code and aren't used in 'normal' playing, but are in the code. However, when I look at the images (with Image Changer program) I don't see anything special...

The pre-release icons are so different I almost thought it's a mod of some kind :)

Perhaps the different build-icons and insignias are place-holders. Often in the game industry they have temporary images before putting in the finished image. Like polishing...

Another strange thing is this sketch (see below). It contains 3 Ornithopters, while in the game there is only one available. What I did notice is that when I look with the 'Image Changer' at the icon's I often see the ornithopter.

big-sketch3.jpg

I always wondered what the death body on the rock means. What is it exactly? A scouter? Back in the days I have looked and shot at it multiple times, but it's just a tile...

Another strange thing is that there are ruins located on sand and all of them of Harkonnen. How is it possible to build on sand? And why only Harkonnen?

Image:

hiddenstuff01.png

• 2 weeks later...

But nobody knows who/what the dead dude on the rock is/does? If it's even a person...

Two things I noticed:

1) The smugglers have their own starport 'style'. Just like their hi-tech factory. However, for both, their is no build-icon.

starport01.png

2) The weapons on the game covers are (mostly) some kind of laser weapons, but they don't appear in the game.

(close view)

big-imarch.jpg

(cover)

big-boxcover.jpg

The first few soldiers on the front carry some kind of laser sticks, like in that TV-series with strange water-looking-ports that go to other worlds/times, hehe.

I wish I could recreate/model those buildings/units/icons in Dune 2000, they have this great look and feeling, but I'm afraid the programs they used are outdated/gone. Perhaps with free Blender I can do it. Would be nice to create your own units... Does anybody perhaps have the e-mail of one of the modelers of Dune 2000, hehe?

Another thing I like about the game are the ending/victory scenes, all the three houses have their own way of destroying the Emperor's building. Too bad the people/units do not look like in the game, for example the sardaukar looks cheap in the ending scene of harkonnen. Their are also some minor differences in the game and the ending scenes like ornothopers that fly straight up...

Harkonnen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOKrNmJlTnY&feature=related&locale=en_US&persist_locale=1

Ordos:

Atreides:

I immediately thought of Stargate even though I've only seen the movie. There's no evidence that those Fremen weapons on the pic have anything to do with lasers however. Perhaps those are Maker Hooks? ::)

BTW, aren't those battle scenes in Dune2k based off the Lynch's movie? I mean the design and all that. If I remember clearly, there are even some short clips taken from Dune itself in the game briefing cutscenes (mostly shown via vid-screens in the background).

BTW, aren't those battle scenes in Dune2k based off the Lynch's movie? I mean the design and all that. If I remember clearly, there are even some short clips taken from Dune itself in the game briefing cutscenes (mostly shown via vid-screens in the background).

There are a lot mission/briefings on YouTube, perhaps you can proof your thoughts, hehe.