Apple sneaking software into its updates

Todays outrage topic has to do with apple offering software when finding updates fro products you have installed.

For windows, if you have itunes installed, apple will offer you safari when an itunes update is out. Same for if you have safari installed on windows, when safari notices a safari update, it also has the option of installing itunes even though you don't have it installed. I'm sure this will get a lot of users who don't look carefully at what is actually being updated. They think that safari or itunes is updating itself as it should, but it also has itunes/safari listed to install unless you actually uncheck it.

Slashdot article

Apple Software Update - Mozilla employee blog saying it is a bad thing to do.

I've installed itunes on windows and it is one of the worst pieces of software I've seen. I thought I was installing itunes, but it also installed quicktime (apparently it is required), ipod transfer program, apple update program and one or two other programs.

I hope amazon.ca starts offering mp3/movies/tv shows soon. I'd rather not have to install 100-200mb of programs to purchase media.

When I go to windows update website, MS doesn't automatically have software ready to install that I do not currently have on my system.

Maybe Mozilla should include thunderbird when firefox is updating itself. I'm sure all firefox users want thunderbird installed if they do not currently have it installed. Correct?

The install safari option should be unchecked by default. But like most ad/software supported software, these options are always highlighted and you have to carefully read everything. Best example is the toolbar that comes with almost every piece of software nowadays (or default homepage). Have to uncheck lots of options whenever installing software.

Not much different than trying to install quicktime on windows, they usually try to bundle itunes with it. (quicktime alternative is the best solution).

• 3 weeks later...

I just looked at a friends laptop. They had itunes installed for their ipod (they didn't want it but ipod was picky and did not like drag/drop method, they ended up getting a friend to fill their mp3 player up). It also had safari installed and they had no idea what safari was even though there was a desktop icon for it.

Looks like Apples "install safari when itunes updates" was a partial success for non technical computer users. Successful because it was able to get installed even though the user never wanted it, but not successful because the user is not using it. I guess When apple releases stats about the number of users/installs this will greatly inflate their numbers.

Definitely a good reason for me to not use Apple products. They seem worse than Microsoft these days with product/software lockins.

Glad I got a sansa view instead of ipod. Itunes is one of the worst pieces of software I've ever seen.

I meant by installing itunes, it installs 5 ? different software. I had no idea it did this. I knew it installed itunes and required quicktime, but I did not know it installed an updater for apple software (which gives the safari install which users never asked for and have to uncheck every time there is an itunes update), an ipod syncer, and something else I forget and I'm not going to find out by installing itunes again. Pretty sure when I start my computer the apple updater and ipod syncer would start with windows, and I could not find options to disable them (didn't even know syncer was running).

Apple does have DRM in music (yes you can buy non drm for a price premium). I am looking forward to amazon selling mp3 in Canada, so I don't have to install 100mb software to download music (yes I know the album downloader requires an install but from what I've read it is very minimalistic).

From what I am hearing Apple is not letting anyone edit the iphone software (they are trying to open up the SDK or something, but it has been almost a year since release).

Ipods/itunes only work with one or two computers from what I've read.

wiki article

File storage and transfer section.

Hmm, it says it can act as a file storage device to put files on it, but then in the next paragraph it says

Unlike many other MP3 players, simply copying audio or video files to the drive with a typical file management application will not allow iPod to properly access them. The user must use software that has been specifically designed to transfer media files to iPods, so that the files are playable and viewable

So if I buy an ipod, can I put my mp3 current collection on it by copy/paste in windows explorer into it? and it will play the files?

The iPod can be used as a storage device (like an USB memory stick). Or as an portable music player. The storage device feature can be used from any computer. The music player feature can be accessed with iTunes or other 3th party software. (you can sync music to your iPod from Windows Media player if you want to).

copying music files can be done from any computer, then copying music files to use with the portale music player requires iTunes

You do indeed get a lot of stuff just installing iTunes.

For the fun of it. Compare iTunes with Microsoft Active Sync. The amount of devices you can sync with AS. The settings you get (was it just one Exchange accounts you could sync with ?) and the other options you have synchronising your Windows Mobile based phone. Maybe a nice addition to the software topic, you have enough alternatives to iTunes and Active Sync when it comes to synchronising your mobile device. If you want the free / basic option, prepaire to get stuck with the basic features. :)

guessing due to the fact Safari has been written for UNIX and not Windows systems Apple took the lazy way. Bundling all software dependencies in the program. Unlike with Windows native applications which use common system / program files.

Novell and Sun used to solve that with Java. And although OSX is native Java enabled, I doubt Safari will be based upon Java.

Just my first guess though after waking up so I could totally be wrong. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

iTunes DRM-Free Files Contain Personal Info

Now with Apples DRM-free music, they sneak your personal info onto the MP3. Or apparently they already did this with DRM and nonDRM music anyway.

So don't forget to not share your music with your friends. It might get you in trouble.

Also, don't share that DVD you bought with your friends either. They have to go buy their own copy to view it. ;)

In fact, for every extra person who watches your DVD you bought with you at home, don't forget to mail in a viewing fee to the copyright holder.

I guess if someone uses your ipod and listens to music you should be forced to pay copyright holder as well.

So is it true that if I have an ipod on my computer with itunes, then go somewhere else to use itunes it wipes the ipod clean? Someone told me this so I presume it was true. Yet another reason not to use ipod/itunes?

Someone told me the moon was made of green cheese once, too. Imagine the cracker it would cover.... ::)

I don't have an iPod nor an answer, but that seems like a silly thing for the software to do.

I do know that to play on computer B music that you purchased on computer A, you have to "authorize" computer B with your account info. If you don't, the song simply won't play; it doesn't get deleted (at least that I know of or have seen). Presumably the iPod wouldn't let you transfer music from a computer that is not yours to authorize.

I don't see what the big deal is with the files. It looks like your email address is the "personal info" being stored....

So is it true that if I have an iPod on my computer with iTunes, then go somewhere else to use iTunes it wipes the iPod clean? Someone told me this so I presume it was true. Yet another reason not to use iPod/iTunes?

I can not confirm that. Up to today I have owned 3 iPod's and one iPhone. All of them dock with numerous systems / iTunes versions.

The last four months the iPhone has become the phone for each section chief at my work. So logically all computers had to be enabled to synch with them. We do not use iTunes on all workstations. Then again the phones are used often enough to see numerous workstations a day. (excluding Exchange Mobile access). Currently I know of no one who experienced what you are referring to.