Lurkers Anonymous (aka The Welcome Thread)

Edric O

If people have something to say, they will say it. There's no need to lure people into the forum with fancy stuff like custom titles or anything. Those are cheap tricks in my opinion, and they won't do us good if we want reasonable Dune-themed conversations here. I, for one, would not be happy if the forum suddenly got crowded by people discussing anything in the world but Dune. Or, even worse, spending their time in never-ending flamewars :P

If people have something to say, they will say it. There's no need to lure people into the forum with fancy stuff like custom titles or anything. Those are cheap tricks in my opinion, and they won't do us good if we want reasonable Dune-themed conversations here. I, for one, would not be happy if the forum suddenly got crowded by people discussing anything in the world but Dune. Or, even worse, spending their time in never-ending flamewars :P

True, true, if we talk about quality and not quantity.

Hello, folks:

I registered some time ago, but finally decided to join in the discussion. I belong to several Dune forums and admin Arrakeen. The only gaming-centric Dune site I've been aware of and posted to has been the Yahoo! PBEM group, so I'm curious to see what people here discuss. The only Dune gaming I've done has been the board game.

That's rough, Mike.  It'll be a while before I bother with Vista myself.  Definitely stop by the Tech Help board and ask around.  Someone's got to have the skills to get them running.

And, of course, drop by the Duniverse board as well with any questions you have about the series.

Is there anything good about Vista? It seems completely buggy/glitchy, broken, and useless.

It's good if you have an expensive/high end computer. That's about it. It's bad for old computers and low end/cheap new computers. Win XP is better for those, since your cpu/ram goes towards programs and not the OS.

I've asked around a bit, and it seems like Vista is rejected by both regular consumers as well as system operators. It's heavy, it has alot of useless "features" and it doesn't really add anything important that wasn't already in XP (or NT, for that matter).

I've asked around a bit, and it seems like Vista is rejected by both regular consumers as well as system operators. It's heavy, it has alot of useless "features" and it doesn't really add anything important that wasn't already in XP (or NT, for that matter).

Tablet support, I like that.

i don't think it's that people are afraid to talk...

maybe they joined lookin for answers... and once they get their answer they no longer have a need for forums like this

i mean with mmorpgs out forums become old and people just talk over live gameplay

sad but true =/

Well, the lack of new users posting here is rather disappointing. I'll leave this thread as a sticky until the end of April, but if new users don't start posting in it in decent numbers by then, I'm downgrading it to a regular forum thread. Then if we still see no effect by the end of May, Newt should stop sending out the IMs.

Well, today is the end of April, and we barely have a handful of new members posting in this thread. I think it's safe to say the Welcome Thread experiment has been, on the whole, a failure. The thread will therefore be unstickied.

Still, we should continue trying to get new members to introduce themselves here over the next month. Maybe our luck will change.