Lurkers Anonymous (aka The Welcome Thread)

Edric O

A quick glance at the forum stats reveals that several dozen new members register on FED2k every month. But most of them never post much at all. I think that should change.

So, if you're reading this and you have recently registered - or if you registered a long time ago but haven't posted much - stop lurking and introduce yourself! Or else we'll take your water.

• Upvote 1

Maybe they are not posting due to a lack of interesting subjects at the moment, most posts are centered around quantity rather than quality.

I mean how many of the post this month have been about post count and keeping post counts up?

If you join you can see which topics have new posts and which threads you have read, i am under the impression guests cannot at glance do that, so maybe they join for that reason alone.

No you're not. You registered 5 years ago! :P

Maybe they are not posting due to a lack of interesting subjects at the moment, most posts are centered around quantity rather than quality.

Trouble is, if you don't keep the quantity up, people will get bored and leave - and then you won't get quality either.

Welcome. Several independent projects are being run. You'll find them scattered around the subforums here, mainly in Dune Editing and Arrakis. Other Dune Games would be a good place to start.

Do post in other forums as well. Nothing beats an active, lively discussion :P

I sent him a message welcoming him to Fed2k and telling him to post on this topic, I think we should send a message to all new members.  Come to think of it, one of the mods for SMF boards is a custom message you receive in your IM inbox when you register.

Well, we get less than one registration per day on average, so an automated script may not be necessary - we could do it manually. We could develop a standardized welcoming message, and ask a senior member of the community (like, say, Dunenewt for example) to IM it to newly registered members.

I hereby appoint Dunenewt our Official FED2k One-Man Welcoming Committee. Please proceed to send welcoming IMs to newly registered members - but first, could you send me a copy of that IM so I can see what's in it?