The "I hate weather" thread.

Andrew

It's about time the *#$*@!!! rainy season ended over here. >:(

(Not that it's been all that bad this year...not as bad as some I've seen...but I just want it over and done with.)

(In a few weeks I'll be bitching about the hot, muggy weather. Born malcontent, what's a bug to do?)

• 5 weeks later...

So in august we got 238.8 mm of rain. Which is a record, and is triple what we normally get.

Today Topical storm Hanna is going to hit and we are expected to get up to 70 mm of rain (we have a rainfall warning).

GO AWAY RAIN.

This is really bad for farmers in Atlantic Canada. Knock down grain, flood fields.

• 3 weeks later...

Hurricane Hanan hit and caused damage to roads and closed the Trans-Canada Highway for 2 weeks. They just opened it today after fixing it. Hanna gave us 90mm of rain.

And now it is announced that Hurricane Kyle is going to hit and provide 100mm of rain. It is supposed to hit us as a hurricane (maybe), which is really bad news because the last time that happened it caused massive damage to Atlantic Canada.

EDIT:

Not much rain. Just going to be a wind warning for me. Although it has landed as a hurricane in N.S., but will lose that status shortly.

So with high winds and rain possible I won't have power/internet tomorrow.

EDIT:

I just realized the leaves are still on the trees. Strong winds are gonna mess with them. Living in one of the windiest places in Canada is lots of fun.

• 1 month later...

Wednesday night had our first taste of snow. It was raining all day, then around 6PM turned to snow. So the water froze and backroads suck. Tonight and tomorrow we are getting our first winter storm warning.

Now someone tell me how hot and nice it is where they are.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that on Wednesdays storm in Nova Scotia the highway was closed for a long time and had a 1500 car lineup with people waiting 16 hours to start moving. That's messed up.

Hurray 30 cm of snow. High winds, power going on and off all the time. I expect power to go out and stay out. Our electric company is incompetent. And they get 10% profits every year. Monopolies are great.

Uh oh, my wireless went out. Then my power went out. Hmm.

Power went out as I was typing this post. Good old firefox actually remembered what I was typing.

So we have power going off and on every 15 minutes. Many people without power.

Looks like snow is turning to wet snow.

Plows are off the roads.

Woot gas prices went down!

Yeah but it forces people to be indoors because it is so miserable out.

Shovelling can be dangerous, as people will take heart attacks from the workout. This happens every year.

Also about one week a winter it gets to -30, -40 degrees Celsius which means exposed skin gets frostbite in 10 minutes. So you can not go outdoors.

I also hate how it can get to 0 degrees in my bedroom. So cold. Got 3 comforters and a sleeping bag on my bed. Soon time to add another blanket.

Century old house and living in the 3rd or 4th windiest place in my province. Trying to get an outdoor wood furnace working, but I think its a waste of money compared to updating the house. Because when snow gets past all 3 door entrances, there's something wrong. Or rain falling down light fixtures. Or the cracked windows, or not enough insulation etc. My parents didn't listen to the energy audit guys who reviewed our house, probably because they didn't bother staying to listen to them. They ignored the final report and thought a $10,000 energy efficient outdoor furnace would be better than our current indoor wood furnace and oil furnace.

So it will probably be another cold winter, just like the past 25 years.

• 4 weeks later...

I heard it was bad there.

Apparently it is too cold here so the storm will pass us.

During our first couple snows people went in the ditch because they are not used to winter driving yet.

26cm is a decent amount. We got 10-15cm the other day.

I wonder if they will have to get the military involved again.

Ha, it has gotten even worse now.

So we are getting 30 cm of snow. Then a brief amount of rain, changing back to flurries. So it will be messy. All that snow will have a frozen layer of ice on top.

And we will have 100km/h winds.

And to top it off:

As the low moves over the Gulf of St Lawrence later Monday storm surge conditions will occur over the coastal areas with high water levels and pounding surf causing coastal erosion.

I hope we don't get any freezing rain.

Northeast N.B. has blizzard warnings with 40cm of snow. Ahh, good old blizzards.

EDIT:

North east N.B. is getting 0.9 - 1.2 meter storm surge.

EDIT:

Wind is strong, whiteout conditions. Power flickering. Stuff outside blowing down.

• 2 weeks later...

Hurray. A blizzard warning for New years day.

15-20 cm snow and gusts of 90-100km/h winds.

EDIT:

woohoo, they changed it to 5-10cm of snow tonight, then 15-25cm of snow tomorrow.

And they also added a storm surge. The last storm surge badly damaged shoreline. seaweed and rocks all over the properties, and some land lost.

Gotta love Canadian weather.

EDIT:

Some areas getting 45cm of snow. All plows in the province are off the roads.

EDIT:

Hah, Charlottetown recorded 49 cm of snow.

EDIT:

Still cleaning up the snow 5 days later...

So we had 50cm of snow Near years day.

Tonight we got a bit of snow, and then will have several hours of freezing rain. Then changing to rain. With 100km/h winds.

Then on Friday it will go back below freezing.

So it is going to be a big mess. All that snow/rain will turn into ice.

The weather in Canada sucks.

Saskatoon this week had -40 Celsius weather, -50 Celsius with wind chill. Broke a 40 year record I think.