The "I hate weather" thread.

Andrew

Over the last three days, it has snowed.  While cycling to work, this meant that I had to deal with the dreaded grey-brown slush of death on the roads.  You know; the stuff that looks loose enough to plow through, but in fact supports only enough of your weight to cause the wheels to slip.

Now, thanks to the temperature staying at a baltic -2

It really bothers me how people in this country dramatise winter.

"The country has ground to a halt, people are unable to get to work, there's ice on the roads..." blah blah blah. All overstated of course, people can still get to work, mostly. But seriously, when the newsreader gets excited over "five centimetres of snow!" then you can't help but grimace at the hyperbole.

Crap. Wind warning for tomorrow.

100km/h winds. Lots and lots of rain.

Thankfully were missing the snow storm. Halifax is getting winter storm warning and storm surge warning. 110km/h winds and one location that's always windy is getting 160km/h winds.

EDIT:

Strong winds. Power struggling to stay on, flickering, but no full failure yet. Gonna watch a movie on computer anyway. :P

EDIT:

Storm surge was worst I've seen. Most properties had damage. Some lost their decks, others moved their sheds. Probably water damage. Land lost in many areas including where 1/2 of electricity comes from (although cable is underground).

Damn weather almost stopped me from flying again.  Only 40cm of snow and the country seems to stop.

I left the office at 16:11 yesterday. I arrived home at 23:20. Normally speaking, it would only take me approx. 30 minutes.

All because of a bit of snow (10 - 15 cm's) and icy roads.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the weather here in Mpumalanga ,South Africa is a bit abnormal the last couple of months.

It is summer here in december , january always hot however we seem to have 1 week summer then 1 week winter continously for the last 2 months.Our rainfall for 2008 was 800mm ,in 2009 was 1100mm.So the weather here does seem to be a little differant more colder and more wet.

Not complaining though ,its nothing compared to what Europe is going through now with all that snow.  ??? ??? ???

a storm is comming...well a blizzard to be accurate. Tomorrow we'll get more snow in Denmark. Funny really, people have been complaining about how we'll never have a white x-mas, and there wasn't snow anymore like in the "old days". Now we've had snow in nearly two months and what happens? People start comlaining.

Personally I prefer frost, blue sky and snow during winter instead of rain and greyish sky.

I haven't had to shovel my laneway since the Christmas Holidays.  I wonder if that's normal for this part of the country.

Yah it's odd, only a couple snowstorms this winter.

They were just saying last week I think that schools have been cancelled only once so far, and 2008-2009 year they had ~6 closures by this time (it was a running joke last winter that every time it snowed they cancelled school before it even started). And the day they did close this year everyone was panicked because we hadn't had snow recently. I had cancelled a nonimportant appointment, and it turned out I didn't need to. So everything had shutdown before it even started to get windy out. It was wet snow, so visibility was fine until night time. It's become kind of a surprise to see snow now. Must be making up for the wet summer we had.