The "I hate weather" thread.

Andrew

Power went off with less than 10 minutes left in 2 hour "24" tv episode. ARGH!

Went outside. An inch of ice on everything. Tree branches are touching the ground. If we get any wind don't expect to see me for a couple days.

EDIT:

Woke up and...

oh shit oh shit oh shit. None of the ice melted, so it is probably going to stay on trees/power lines until Saturday. Any wind and we are screwed.

According to the news many people driving went in the ditch since it is pure ice. :P

Man you got crappy infrastructure, no time like the recession to fix it.

Man you got crappy infrastructure, no time like the recession to fix it.

That's what happens when a monopoly controls the infrastructure (power lines), and they keep putting up more power lines instead of buring them in the ground. They have insurance, so when stuff breaks, they get paid for that, and they can write off all the costs, and then tell customers that they have to increase prices.

We know we get strong winds, lots of snow, and lately lots of freezing rain. But for some reason it is a good idea to put up power lines. There are several near where I live that are probably 40 years old (the old style where they have knots sticking out and are crooked).

None of the ice melted today :(

EDIT:

A couple of neighbours lost power. I think they are replacing a pole. Several work crews out fixing it.

• 4 weeks later...

ARGH!

I thought winter was over, and now there is a snowfall warning of 10-15cm for tomorrow. I have to drive 2 hours in the weather. :(

It's been such nice weather lately, +5 Celsius during day, and -2 at night.

Go away snow!

EDIT:

Power went out for a second. On my drive home a car went in ditch and the cops were out. Poor driving conditions. slush on roads, covered with wet snow. You couldn't turn or speed up without losing control. Was doing 40km/h on secondary roads, and barely had control (they weren't plowed at the time).

The weather in the area of Scotland in which I live tends to bear little relation to what's happening elsewhere around the country.  Oftentimes, it varies wildly from extreme to extreme.  It's rarely ever even close to what's forecast.

Take, for example, a few days ago.  It snowed.  Wasn't even cold.

Then a little later, there was the cold snap, accompanied by strong winds - gale force at times.

And now, the weather has taken it upon itself to be 13 degrees celsius.  At night.

Now we're lucky if we get that kind of heat at mid-day in July, never mind an evening in April.  There have been a couple other days like this so far this year.

Speaking of earlier this year, the snow that crippled the UK was another curiousity.  It barely even fell (by Scottish standards, where snow has to at least reach your knees before you fetch a scarf and a pair of gloves), and when it did, it was completely out of synch with other incidents around the country.

We're always a good 5 or 6 degrees celsius hotter or colder than everyone else.  Now I don't mind the latter, but the former can take a running jump.  When you have a high-end PC and an Xbox 360 running in a room the size of two cupboards (which is crammed with books, games and clothes), coupled with a window facing the sun for the majority of the day, heat can really get to you.

I much prefer cold to heat - if it's cold, you can easily warm yourself up, but if it's hot, you're going to stay that way.

Heh, an industrial front end snowblower just drove by to blow out a nearby road that is only 1 lane because of the previous snow storm that made 10 foot high drifts.

Similar to this:

RPM36R.jpg

Now it's going to be +11 Celsius next two days with rain, so all the snow will melt and make a muddy mess.

Here's a better/more accurate pic of the snowblower, since it is a CAT.

I feel we should start an "I Love Weather" thread as spring is starting to bloom here and we're starting to have some really nice days ;D

Nah, because then it will get too hot, and the bugs get annoying. Invading flies, mosquitoes (last year was worst year for mosquitoes in a decade for us), and the inevitable flying beetles, junebugs, earwigs...

Almost all of our snow is gone. Just the big drifts (piles of snow) that havn't finished melting (say 95% of land is bare). Apparently ice from the ocean has piled 80 ft in the air from water level onto the cliffs. Havn't seen it myself, otherwise I'd be taking lots of pictures. Back 20 years ago ice pileups were normal, and we would walk on them. Kinda scary.

Saturday night we are getting 15cm of snow. :(

But it should be gone in a day or two (rain immediately after snow).

EDIT:

They just added a snowfall warning.

*facepalm*

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

83.7 mm of rain yesterday (June 12). 5.5mm the day before.

That is 3.3 inches.

That is a lot of rain, and it most likely broke all historical records.

We havn't had any heat lately, been very cool summer so far. ~15-20 degrees.

I do not want any heat. Anything over 25 is too hot. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Gah, Britain is in the midst of a heatwave and it's killing me.  Temperatures of 25 degrees up in the North-East of Scotland, even higher as you go further south, with something like 31 predicted in London tomorrow.

This is insane - hottest June we've had for years.  It rained cats and dogs for about 15 minutes today, but you wouldn't know it from looking outside now.  This is a Scottish Summer; we're meant to have rain, clouds and mist, not belting heat 24/7.

It's just gone 9pm and it's still 20 degrees outside.  That only falls one or two when the sun actually sets, meaning I can't get any sleep.  And don't say "open a window" or "use a fan", because I have every conceivable method set up to try and get a draft going and none of them work.

I hate the heat.  Can't wait for Autumn - nice, cool days and chilly nights.  Plus I'll stop sticking to my high-back leather office chair.

Visiting Disney (Orlando, FL) in mid-June was like being trapped in a sauna for 8 hours a day.  Thank goodness for the air conditioned gift shops and fans in the waiting lines.  Plenty of water and ice cream helped as well; though one of my ice cream cones practically melted away before I could even eat it all.  Between walking for hours and pouring sweat, I probably lost 10 pounds.

Still, the locals said,

• 2 weeks later...

After 2 weeks of rain/showers/cloud, we finally got a week of sun. Last Saturday we got a thundershower and downpour for an hour. 35mm (1.4 inches).

Tonight there is a risk of frost! We're having temperatures at night around 5-7 Celsius. I'm not complaining, I hate the heat. I can actually sleep at night. This morning it was a record of 3.8 Celsius.

Supposed to get 27 Celsius Friday. :(

There are signs that the heatwave is over in the UK, or at least for Scotland.  Right now, it's a lovely 11 degrees celsius outside.  If I leave my window open, my room will actually be cold.  I love it.

Rain on the window, the sound of wind blowing... this is what a Scottish summer is all about. ;D

That's not true, the Scottish summer is at least 25 degrees. It has clear skies, no rain, and is a wonderful time to go swimming in the sea. Needless to say, for many people it's their favourite day of the year.

I visited Edinburgh in early February last year, and it was a relatively warm and sunny weekend, with few clouds and definitely no rain.

To this day I still suspect I was the victim of a conspiracy to keep me away from the real Edinburgh.

The weather in Moscow is acting up a lot lately. We've got lots of rain, there was a thunderstorm last night (I've seen a report on TV showing several streets having been flooded as a result; luckily not in my neighborhood), and the temperature is generally quite low for this time of the year.