The "I hate weather" thread.

Andrew

Rain this morning. And now a wind chill warning for tonight. -20 Celsius. And with wind chill it will be -33 Celsius. 33 degree difference in less than 24 hours.

Then on Thursday night we have extreme wind chill at -37. So it will be one of the coldest nights ever in history.

On Saturday -27 without wind chill. :(

With these temps, frostbite on exposed skin can occur in 10 minutes. :(

Someone send me mittens!

EDIT:

-38 tonight

-37 tomorrow night

I don't think I could. But they'd be prepared for cold weather like most of northern Canada (currently 0 Celsius in Anchorage, wish I had that!).

Going from +30 Celsius max in summer to -40 Celsius in winter is quite the difference to adjust to. We normally only get 1 week of -40 per year, so it is dangerous for us :P

EDIT:

cold weather is gone. but now have a 15cm snow warning... then rain...

Very nice, Hwi. :)

Is that a bi-level deck on the back, or two separate ones? Killer, either way.

The slope with the trees is nice, too. Kinda reminds me of the first house of a friend of mine in Ohio; she left a grove of walnuts on the back half of her property when she built.

• 2 weeks later...

Today we had a high of +2 Celsius and it was sunny. It was very hot out! Not used to this barely over freezing temperature.

And tomorrow we have a reminder of winter again. Had a snowfall warning, which has just been "upgraded" to a winter storm warning. woot!

EDIT:

Apparently Britain got lots of snow?

Snow: Schools, airports, motorways and railways all closed

Article says up to 1 foot of snow fell. 1ft = 30cm. I'm getting 25 cm of snow tonight. Looks to me like Britain is not prepared for winter/snow. :P

Of course everything will be shutdown here for 12 hours or so during the worst parts of the storm. Guess Canada is used to this stuff.

Does England have plows? :P I think in the southern united states they don't have snow removal equipment, so whenever they get snow they close everything and wait for it to melt. That true?

We had about 1.5" in Canterbury and university shut down after I cycled all the way up hill! Grr. Yeah we were definitely poorly prepared but then once in 20 years isn't really enough to warrant a snow removal service. I think it was stupid to close most things down when the majority of the country could get around easily.

We cancel school here lots as well due to storms. Probably 5-7 days a year.

Apparently the current storm is pointed directly near where I am. Just heard on the news we already have gotten 2 meters of snow this winter.

I'm just glad I don't live in Newfoundland. They get ridiculous amounts of snow.

Check out this photo gallery.

Ahhh snow, wonderful snow!  How I miss it.  When I lived in the southeastern U.S. as a child (not to mention Alaska), we had tons of snow every winter it seems.  But those days of enchanted winter wonderlands are a thing of the past in this area.

Skiing here is a joke.  We have beautiful mountains, but of late it only gets cold enough to make the man-made stuff.  Awful slushy mess.  Skiing in the north with the real powder is better by far.

They just cancelled schools 1 hour early. I'm guessing they will be cancelled all day tomorrow.

Nova Scotia closed some schools before the storm as well.

Of course university will still be open and I will still have my exam tomorrow. :(

And driving in bad weather will suck.

This looks like it's going to be a bad storm.

EDIT:

One meteorologist said 30cm is possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's 12:30PM (noon) now, and we had a small snowstorm last night, which ended by say 7AM. And yet no plow yet so everyone in the countryside is stuck at home. This is pretty bad. Usually the plow goes by in the early morning, then again in the afternoon. The roads are covered in drifts so no way for small cars to get out (apparently only one person with 4x4 got out).

Looks like I'm going to be late...

EDIT:

1PM and still no plow. Gov said it would be here by 1PM at the latest...

EDIT

Plow showed up at 1:19PM...

EDIT:

I can't complain now. Part of New Brunswick got 65 cm of snow. N.B. getting lots of snow means N.B. will have major flooding problems again this spring.

Having our first major freezing rain storm Monday afternoon. In some areas, if worst happens they are expecting infrastructure failures (down trees, power lines).

Exactly where I live is either going to be a winter storm or freezing rain (or combo). Where I am driving to tomorrow is going to have freezing rain.

If you don't hear from me in a week then I either have no power, and/or no internet. :)

EDIT:

The public is advised that all areas are forecast to receive four hours or more of freezing rain which will result in ice accumulation on all surfaces.

and in a neighbouring province

The public is advised that most areas will receive four hours or more of freezing rain which will result in some ice accumulation on all surfaces. Attention must be drawn to the valley and much of the Minas basin in this situation. Very significant freezing rain amounts may occur for a period Monday. As a result..Significant infrastructure and tree damage could occur.

It snowed here yesterday.

Snow in Bergen works like this:

Day 1: It snows.

Day 2: It rains, snow turns into slush.

Day 3: It's cold. Slush turns into ice.

Day 4: It rains. Ice gets very slippery.

It stays that way for a couple of days before everything returns to normal.

Maybe once a year, the snow lies for a few days before entering the next stage.

Power went off with less than 10 minutes left in 2 hour "24" tv episode. ARGH!

Went outside. An inch of ice on everything. Tree branches are touching the ground. If we get any wind don't expect to see me for a couple days.

EDIT:

Woke up and...

oh shit oh shit oh shit. None of the ice melted, so it is probably going to stay on trees/power lines until Saturday. Any wind and we are screwed.

According to the news many people driving went in the ditch since it is pure ice. :P