Don't you just miss the old days...

Guest HarkonnenGeneral

Guest HarkonnenGeneral

To those who have been a Dune fan since 1992 (was it?) when Westwood released Dune 2: the building of a Dynasty, don't you guys just miss the old days? I mean the days when the siege tank was a 2-barrelled brute of a tank unlike in Dune2000 where it was a weak-armored clad that borrowed the gun of the allies' artillery tank in C&C: Red Alert 1? Don't you just guys miss the days when wind traps only use 4 concrete slabs as well as the other structures. How bout the days when you could cover an entire rock formation with concrete? The days when the Harkonnen can only use Quads and the Atreides don't have troopers. Those simple days I just can't forget.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mithro

I'm planing to do a remake of the original Dune 2, with a few extra features (mutiply select/build and multiplayer).

If anyone is intrested give me a mail at mithro@senet.com.au

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Well...me

Are you for real?

I played all the Westwood-RTS games, but only one felt best : Dune2!!

If you could add multiplayer, generally you would rule :)

"Harvester deployed"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, Dune II is mayby the best Dune RTS

game. I still remember the time ( a long time

ago, on a computer far far, .... ) when I first played

Dune II. The game is not about war, destroying

enemy units etc. It's all about the feeling you

get when you play it. And every time you play it

you try to complete the level at another way,

different tactic, less units and superior planing.

Whould be great if Westwood would make

a ten years aniversary edition, with some extra

features. ( multi-unit controle and multi-player ia.)

Doesn't seem likely however, ......  ::)

That's true. And the fact that we are "complaining" here has more to do with us. That was also clear on the topic "is Dune 2000 realy a remake of Dune II ?". WW has addet some features in Dune 2000 that we wanted in Dune II, evolution did the rest. As Dune II "evolved" to C&C, C&C "evolved" back to Dune 2000 the game that started it all. Only in the change from Dune to CC back to Dune, the origional game Dune II as we had known it bevore wasn't the same anymore. And that's probbebly what we miss, the classic feeling of Dune II. And that feeling can't be replaced by any game after the origional Dune II.

So it's maby that classic feeling that we miss, and not the game.

( does anyone know what I mean ?  ??? )

He Gobalopper,

When I was reading trough the older posts in this toppic I found your comment ( no. 2 from above ) that you would also like to see Dune II redone with a few enhancements.

And then 4 posts above this one you ( correctly ) point out that that remake is Dune 2000. Isn't that a contradiction ?    :)

No, not before my time but I wasn't that old at that time :)

Besides that, I never owned a commodore. I had a Philips ( I know, don't ask ! ) It was a keyboard with two joysticks. And with this "deathly" combination connected to the TV you could play packman and space invaders that were stored on gigantic game-cassetes.

It was kind of fund tho, the "old" days, . . . . .

A few years after my "philips period" I was the lucky owner of a NES. It was mutch better, and their was a nasty battle between NES SEGA and ATARI owners. The ATARI didn't stay in the race for long, SEGA kept up for some time tho.

Yes that would be great. but the fact that so many players are forming the history thrills me. It's huge (DG that is) Oh and talking about c64, man those where the days!!!! But when you play those games today it's just not the same. You know what I mean.  :'( I miss those days  :'(