Free & Open Source Game Guide

Andrew

With Andrew's permission, I have updated the first post of this thread with a list of games that are both free and open source, grouped by genre.

[Edit] I thought it would be useful if I also posted the sources that I have used when compiling the list:

List of open-source video games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Complete open source games - FreeGameDevWiki

Open Source Game Clones

Libregamewiki

FreeGameDev Planet - Games

Download Free Windows Games Open Source Software - SourceForge

Open Source games for Windows!

Open-source games for every type of gamer. (Help build this list!) linux

Linux game database Database for native Linux games

Linux Game Library

Dungeondweller - www.roguelikedevelopment.org

Free Games List - Free Games List No frills No fuss just great games (and game creation tools)!

Free Flight Simulator Games

Top Free Flight Simulators - Find Them Here

Free Indie and Open Source Gaming Projects - SpaceSimCentral.com

Taktik pur Strategiespiele - Die besten Open-Source-Spiele - CHIP

Die besten Sport-Spiele - Die besten Open-Source-Spiele - CHIP

Spannende Action-Spiele - Die besten Open-Source-Spiele - CHIP

Rätsel inklusive Knifflige Denkspiele - Die besten Open-Source-Spiele - CHIP

Für Online-Fans Multiplayer-Spiele - Die besten Open-Source-Spiele - CHIP

Open source Strategy games - OSSD

Open source 3D action - OSSD

10 Highly Addictive Open Source and Free 3D Shooter Games – Part 1

10 More Free Open Source Games that you would not want to miss

12 Free Open Source Games That You Do Not Want To Miss

Free Open Source Games

30 Open Source Games – Great Game Play, Graphics and More for Free

WEBI.ORG - Open Source Software & Free Software

25 awesome Cross-platform games you can download for free

19 Awesome Open Source Games for Linux Unixmen

Top 10 best open source games - TECH.BLORGE.com

8 Awesome Free Open-Source Games You Can Enjoy On Windows, Mac and Linux

6 Great Free, Open-Source Games to Fetch After Installing Ubuntu TuxArena

Unbeatable Machines - Top 10 Free Open Source Games

Best Open Source (Free) Video Games

70 of the Best Free and Open Source Games for download – Part 1 (of 3) The Red Ferret Journal

Best Open Source Games woGue

101 Most Fun Open Source Games and Apps - Datamation

Free Gamer - Open Source Games

Free Gamer - Open Source Games AGS Adventure Game Studio open sourced

Free Gamer - Open Source Games Open Imperium Galactica

Free Gamer - Open Source Games Quake3 Total Conversions

Starshatter The Gathering Storm Goes Open Source! Space Game Junkie

I feel compelled to point out that the description "Free and Open source" as used here is not the same as the one widely used by open-source developers

There are plenty of games on the list in the first post that quite match the meaning of FOSS that you point at. Indeed there are games on the list with source code that has been made public under various licenses, not only GNU GPL. I just didn't want to limit the scope of games to mention with "true" FOSS ones.

I feel compelled to point out that the description "Free and Open source" as used here is not the same as the one widely used by open-source developers; "free as in freedom, not as in free beer". The wikipedia article provides a fairly accurate historical perspective.

I believe "free & open source games" as mentioned here is intended to mean "both free games, and open source games".

There are plenty of games on the list in the first post that quite match the meaning of FOSS that you point at. Indeed there are games on the list with source code that has been made public under various licenses, not only GNU GPL. I just didn't want to limit the scope of games to mention with "true" FOSS ones.

Didn't say anything to the contrary nor did I suggest excluding any games, I get what the list's purpose is. However, 'Free and open source' is a description widely used and it's worth being aware of what it signifies; that was the point, no more, no less.

• 2 weeks later...

I did start making a huge list of F2P games from there for you guys to download and enjoy:
http://forums.cncnz.com/topic/18507-the-ultimate-free-to-play-pc-games-list

As of now, that list is still incomplete without the freebies from IndieDB and other sites since there's so many of them (including this long thread discussion with other links). From the first post of this thread, that list is still incomplete, there should be at least over 200 in the list.

For the mods that are standalone, look into this thread: http://forums.cncnz.com/topic/18516-total-conversionsmods-that-became-standalone-games

Links to get other shareware and freeware games, look into this thread: http://forums.cncnz.com/topic/18035-places-to-get-shareware-and-freeware-games

• Upvote 1

Hi there Zocom7 :) Somehow I missed the fact that you've been registered here for a while :)

As of now, that list is still incomplete without the freebies from IndieDB and other sites since there's so many of them (including this long thread discussion with other links).

This is why I always try to find some grouping principle that will allow to split up such a huge groups as "free games" (or "PC games") into smaller ones, otherwise it's just too easy to get lost, and compiling any kind of exhaustive list becomes near impossible.

From the first post of this thread, that list is still incomplete, there should be at least over 200 in the list.

Exactly what I'm talking about. It could be logical to split it into smaller lists by license for example, but that seems too tedious, and may require more complex research of individual games than I'm willing to do.

Luckily there are a few websites like IndieDB and ModDB, or the LibreGameWiki that can be used as complementary sources. It's just that some games remain fairly obscure while others are mentioned almost everywhere (and thus have more chances to be mentioned again in newer sources in the future).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...