Free & Open Source Game Guide

Andrew

Added

Mechwarrior 4

Just released for free!! 1.7gb. wow.

This slashdot post might have best way to download/install it. The official download is slow, and they are going to do a new release sometime to fix that problem. The torrents on that slashdot post are from official website.

EDIT:

Ahh, I think the official download that supposedly sucks is a custom made torrent program to get the game. At least everyone I'm connected to on my torrent program is using "mono torrent 0.8.0" which I've never heard of before.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mechwarrior 4 is downloaded via Mektek's own torrent client - http://www.mektek.net/index.php?pid=13

it's in fact the Mercenaries version, with patch and custom mechs (both from developer and fans); even better than the original release

I added that May 4. I made a post about it on this page (page 2) of the thread. Still worth re-mentioning. Sadly it would crash in first mission on my computer. So I havn't played it much.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Would Chosen space come into this forey?

http://www.chosenspace.com/

http://wiki.chosenspace.com/index.php/Tutorials#Game_Objective

I'd really like to know if anyones played it as it seems pretty massive to me, Judging that in the Wiki it states that other players would try to take pot shots at us while we're out mining or somert. :O

Done. I don't plan on adding browser based games, since there are a lot of them. Unless it were something like google porting quake to html5. But those turn based browser games and flash games are too many. But feel free to suggest them in the thread.

Minecraft is java-based, which allows it to be run in all modern browsers, but it's not a browser-based game, per se.  It's something of an anomaly; developed by one guy in his spare time, he's gone on to make something akin to half a million dollars in roughly a year, even taking into account PayPal charges.

I see where you're coming from with not adding it to the list, though.  Still, people should check it out if they have a lot of spare time they want devoured. :P

• 3 weeks later...

There's a distinct lack of Dwarf Fortress on this list.  It's one of the hardest, most detailed and fun games to play around, even if it does just look like ascii soup.  Just remember: Losing is Fun!

There's a number of excellent let's plays about Dwarf Fortress too, one of most popular is Boatmurdered, which is fairly old now since it used the old 2d version of the game, but it still manages to show how ridiculous the game can get. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Crimelife, Crimelife 2, Crimelife III - GTA clones.

Dark Hive - a sci-fi RTS like Dark Colony I guess.

Dark Konflict - heavily inspired by Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn, but with 3D graphics.

Dark Oberon: a medieval RTS like Warcraft II, with sprites made from clay models. Looks rather weird.

Glest - a fantasy/steampunk RTS in the visual style of Warcraft III.

Harmony - a sci-fi FPS that uses the Doom engine.

Priority: Survive: a Starcraft lookalike with nice graphics. Single-player only.

Unknown Horizons - a city-building strategy inspired by the Anno series of games.

• 2 weeks later...

Turrican 2002 - a Turrican 2 remake that uses the original graphics and sounds (which is authorized by the copyright holders, BTW), but the levels are all new, and it supports higher resolutions as well.

Hurrican - another remake of Turrican 2, this one using updated custom graphics.

Return of Egypt - a Castlevania series lookalike set in ancient Egypt.

• 2 weeks later...

HacX - this used to be a commercial add-on/total conversion for Doom II, but it's been released as freeware since. The latest version, 1.2, no longer requires the original Doom II files, effectively becoming a free stand-alone game. Read more about v1.2 here

In other news, the Blasphemer project has got a new site:

https://code.google.com/p/blasphemer/