Free & Open Source Game Guide

Andrew

dang, that's a cool story.  I think there's a Wii game called trauma surgery or something like that. I wonder if they've had similar incidences.

Thanks to this game, the next time someone's heart is under attack by alien insects from hell, I'll know exactly what to do.

Orbiter, a completely realistic space simulator. Very high learning curve, but is definitely worth a look. Quite fun, and you can learn to do a lot of things just by feel. They also have some very fun legacy missions, like the first redstone mercury launch as well as the atlas mercury launch.

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

• 3 weeks later...

Came across this a while back.

Voxelstein 3D

It's a one-level tech demo using voxels - 3D pixels that allow for totally destructible environments.  The graphics look a little wierd because every pixel is modeled in 3D, and can be destroyed.  The game is based on Wolfenstein 3D, and is only one level, but looks really cool.

• 4 months later...

Your last link does not work.

Added frespace 2 link with other freespace 2 link.

Added Ryszom

One thing I wondered about Freespace, is it possible to play as a big ship? Or can you only be small fighter ships?

There was talk on that subject a few years back, but not sure if they did manage to do it or not.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That would be more work. Much easier to organize first by free and opensource. Having to do research on if a game was at one time not free doesn't really help in the final decision to play, because all the games are free to download/play now.

• 1 month later...

Continuing on the Freespace2 engine games: The Babylon Project, set in the Babylon 5 universe, and completely standalone.

Then there's UFO:Alien Invasion, an X-COM like game made, so turn-based and with a small squad, in 3d.

A for people who like transport management simulators, there's Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe, based on the old Transport Tycoon games by Chris Sawyer.  However, if you want the original graphics, you do need the original files, or else you can use the OpenGFX graphics for free.

• 1 month later...

Cave story is almost certainly the best freeware game I have ever played. As a matter of fact, it is one of the best games I have ever played.

In addition to that, it is a mere 1 megabyte. It's quality to size ratio is astounding.

You can find it on acidplay or something like that (maybe I'll find the proper name soon. If you google for it, you may have better luck typing Doukutsu Monogatari. Make sure you get the English version obviously [i've only ever heard of English and Japanese versions but I suppose if you look around there's a good chance you could find it translated to French or whatever you may prefer])

Well, Cave Story does seem to have a rabid cult following.  I downloaded it, installed it (alongside the English translation) and fired it up.

Within seconds, BSOD.  All I did was press "Fire" or "x".

Solution?  Turn down Hardware Acceleration in Sound options.  No thanks.  Can't be bothered ramping it up again for, oh I don't know, every other game in existence.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...