C&C Red Alert 3

veK

You may be right about sub-houses, but for the reinforcements, the fact that the campaign is non-linear, in a way, I would point you to Shogun Total War, which, although slightly different, did all those things and in a much more complex way a year earlier.

You may be right about sub-houses, but for the reinforcements, the fact that the campaign is non-linear, in a way, I would point you to Shogun Total War, which, although slightly different, did all those things and in a much more complex way a year earlier.

In Shogun Total War the strategy (build your military units etc) is turn based.Only the tactic is real time.

An older game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthright_-_The_Gorgon's_Alliance has similar feature of Shogun Total War (you can lose a battle,you can even win with diplomacy and buy territories!) plus "real" time 3d (it uses D&D rules so X seconds of battle time is a turn) battles,but IMHO Shogun and Birthright aren't both RTS because only tactic mode is real time.

The campaign map in Emperor wasn't realtime either. Anyway Emperor still isn't that revolutionary regardless of whether you class Shogun as an RTS. The fact that those features are in other strategy games shows that Emperor was another game tweaking various different concepts from other games. The fact remains that what you think of as revolutionary was in other games that were being released slightly earlier than Emperor.

As a side note I think that Birthright sounds more like a Strategy RPG as it sounds a lot like Heroes of Might and Magic, 2 being the only one I played.

Usually you have two type of games:

1)Turn based with very original campaign

2)RTS where you have to win or fail

With Emperor they put the good of point 1 in point 2.

Your observation about the fact that Emperor's map are not in real time is right:it would be cool (but chaotic) a game where you can zoom and command every region in the same time.

About Birthright I find it very different from HOMM 2.HOMM 2 is about mine capturing,city building and turned battle.Birthright has three total different mode:

1)Adventure:you have to recover some useful artifacts,the weaker part because doom engine in 1996 was really old.

2)Political:you have to rule provinces,support revolt in enemy provinces,assasinate leaders...well you have a lot of options:I think is inspired by Romance of the three kingdoms.Rushing is often a bad idea.

3)Tactical mode:is quite similar Shogun total war,the units are in battalions.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand why they don't give you the option to play online, it seems strange given that almost every game these days, especially EA published games, include multiplay.

Bah....stupid fans maybe....for Command & Conquer 3 the first version was quite balanced:GDI with powerful armor and NOD with powerful helicopter.Then some losing GDI players started to cry and they made a patch that raised a lot the price of the NOD helicopter.

In the official forum there are few that require the SDK and there are not many complaints about the decision to make the expansion single player only.They say that the new campaigns are three-four mission for each faction....that is unfair.

I also noticed that there are 9 version of Red Alert 3 and only one version of the map editor.

It's better than having no patches. Besides a game with no balance issues is very hard to find.

Well version 1.0 is already quite balanced:Allies infantry and aircraft is overpowered,Soviet tanks are overpowered and Empire navy is overpowered.Every faction need a weakness:in Emperor Ordos lack of AA turrets for example.The risk is that the fan of the most liked faction will try to influence EA to have an umbalancing patch.

I doubt the different versions will affect the map builder if its just rule changers.

But I mean:ten version of the game,one version of the map builder and no way to mod the game because they haven't release the sdk yet.It is quite clear that they have put a lot of effort in the normal game and very little attention for the modders.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well...after a lot of time I was able to get the mod work but there are a lot of problems.

1)You have to mount it (that can require several minutes) every time you change something.

2)If the mod crash you have to delete the replay...or you can't play any mod.I didn't know that the first time and I had to reinstall the game.

3)If you add units...or if you swap units...well the computer won't build them.That suck because I remember in Emperor that if you add unit the computer will build it and even knows when to build it (for example in Emperor I made a slow zombie that fire acid balls that damage a lot light vehicles but do little damage against infantry and heavy vehicles,and the only time I saw the computer build it,was when I tried to rush with light vehicles).I will try to mod AI.