Next US President?

If you could vote in the upcoming US elections, who would you vote for?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. If you could vote in the upcoming US elections, who would you vote for?

• John McCain
    • Hillary Clinton
    • Barrack Obama
    • Some left-wing candidate with no chance of winning
    • Some right-wing candidate with no chance of winning

Who's not civil? ;D

Language changes constantly, nothing we can do about it. (Kinda like death and income taxes, in a way. :P )

I guess one sign of getting old is when you start to think that the things people around you are saying sound stupider than shit?

That's what I love about the British: whatever else they lose, they'll always have attitude. :P

And that actually does count for something.

So ... question for Spazelord: Looking back through your posts, it seems you just got this Ron Paul/anti-IRS religion back in November. What changed?

I mean, you've been a member here since April 2004, but you didn't post anything about the presidential elections in that year. I'm just guessing here, but was this past election the first you could vote in? Are you just now facing having to start to pay income tax in larger amounts?

Sorry if I'm way off here, but you don't indicate your age in your profile and the amusing comment about me not having a high school diploma got me to wondering.

So, seriously, does Mr Paul advise people about how to go about NOT paying the income tax? Is there some formal declaration you're supposed to make, or do you just not send in the forms and your W-2s? (Ah ... W-2s. Most employers withhold a certain amount for your taxes from your monthly salary payments, right? How do you convince them not to? Just ask? If they go ahead and do it, though, how are you supposed to get that money back?)

Finally, what exactly are you yourself doing, or planning to do, about your taxes come this April? If you're really committed to this thing, you must have started doing something, right?

(That pass muster for civility, Dunenewt and Edric O? :) )

Most employers withhold a certain amount for your taxes from your monthly salary payments, right? How do you convince them not to? Just ask? If they go ahead and do it, though, how are you supposed to get that money back?

I am not sure bout US but in Canada it is possible to request the employer not to withhold income tax from your pay, it just that later you would have to pay it yourself.

I am not sure bout US but in Canada it is possible to request the employer not to withhold income tax from your pay, it just that later you would have to pay it yourself.

Thanks for the info. I looked around a little, but I'm still not sure about the reality in the States. (As someone who never questioned the validity of the tax, I guess it never occurred to me to wonder about it.) I'm also having a hard time imagining why you wouldn't want it withheld, unless you were intending not to pay from the start.

Actually looking around turns up a lot of interesting stuff...

But regardless of the reason, arguing with tax protesters is like playing

Thanks for the info. I looked around a little, but I'm still not sure about the reality in the States. (As someone who never questioned the validity of the tax, I guess it never occurred to me to wonder about it.) I'm also having a hard time imagining why you wouldn't want it withheld, unless you were intending not to pay from the start.

Well in Canada this is done by people who always have tax returns in order to get their money to them faster rather give the government an interest free loan until they return it.

Very few people do it because usually only financial advisers do the calculations to determine if doing so is beneficial and since many people don't have proper financial advisers or do not always listen to them they don't d it.

• 4 weeks later...