Soon to be introduced to Dune, Which book first?

Sneakgab

I've never even seen a Dune book before here in SA (most likely due to lack of effort immediately) and thusly I know essentially nothing about the Dune series (apart from WW's game series, which I assume is hardly faithful to the novels due to issues of practicality)

However, what little I do know (or atleast, suspect) is of great import in that the Dune series is said to be a deep work of a philosophical nature (excluding, apparently the works of Brian and Co). Hence, my interest; it is rare indeed that one comes across such works it seems (atleast, when one is looking in the entertainment field, seeking something other than textbooks). Even on the rare occasion that I find something with some interesting ideas, they usually take backstage to the ''action''.

In all honesty though, this problem may be self-imposed, as I haven't gotten around to doing significant reading in SOME time, so I'm probably the main cause here ;D

Anyway, I ask which of the various novels I should begin with (If not duniverse chronologically the first, excluding the apparently horrid (from the sound of things) prequels of course) and of course inquire as to it's name as well.

Earnest thanks in advance for the answer, as well as for the wise advice on the matter that I am likely to receive from the good folk here at fed2k :)

I can't see a better beginning than with the first book entitled 'Dune'. Otherwise, you could try the third book, 'Children of Dune', though starting from that book is nonetheless far worse than starting with the first book. In any case, I'd dare say it's the next best alternative.

There have been lots of threads about this.

Consensus is that you should read the books in the order that they were printed.

So read the first 6 original books in order. Then read the house prequels, then the jihad series, then read the last 2 books that were just released.

I did not go further with prequels, but I found more of Frank in some of his other books. Following the original Dune, the closest continuity I found was with "Road to Dune", which has Frank's Dune "substories" and some of his letters.

I read Frank Herbert's 1-6.  Then I read Butlerian Jihad.  Then I read Brian's books 7-8 (last two that continue FH's original series). 

I thought that this reading sequence was a nice balance:  the original 6 stand alone, but if you want to finish the full plot sequence which goes through into books 7-8, you probably need at least one of the jihad books to understand a lot of the references going on.  I only read butlerian so I have no idea what other event sequences or characters I missed out on, but I felt adequately familiar with the ancient history of the Dune Galaxy when reading books 7-8.  The house books...never had much interest in reading.  Not sure if they add more to 7-8 or to 1-3.

I read Frank Herbert's 1-6.  Then I read Butlerian Jihad.  Then I read Brian's books 7-8 (last two that continue FH's original series). 

I thought that this reading sequence was a nice balance:  the original 6 stand alone, but if you want to finish the full plot sequence which goes through into books 7-8, you probably need at least one of the jihad books to understand a lot of the references going on.  I only read butlerian so I have no idea what other event sequences or characters I missed out on, but I felt adequately familiar with the ancient history of the Dune Galaxy when reading books 7-8.  The house books...never had much interest in reading.  Not sure if they add more to 7-8 or to 1-3.

I did exactly the same as you. I have read the original books, prequels and then I read the Butlerian Jihad(1. Legends book). I understood the most in Hunters of Dune. But I would also recommend reading the Butlerian Jihad book before reading 7 and 8. Also there is mentioning of prequel-plots in Hunters. Just began reading Sandworms. Great books, but I would have liked it if they followed the plots they began better. And perhaps some bigger surprises.

yea, better plot twists would have been nice in the last two sequals.  Pretty easy to see coming in my opinion.  There were a couple good ones though.

Yea, read 1-6, then butlerian. (if you want the full legends of dune prequal experience, read machine crucade, and battle of Corrin)  Then you'll be nice and ready for Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune.

You have my full thanks for the advice everybody :) Now I only need to physically acquire the book. Can't really order using the internet, so I suppose I'll have to run around bookstores and the like to find it. You guys definetely make that sound like a worthwhile endeavour though, so thats ok.

Can't really order using the internet

Why not? Even here in Holland you can get them. On bol,bol,bol dot com. See: http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/nl/-/EUR/BOL_DisplayCreatorPageInformation-Author?Section=BOOK_EN&N=4294967131&AUTHOR_ID=197837

Looking at the price, I might try one myself.

*edit: I'm not sure which one to take. There is 2003, 2005, 2006 and even 1982 edition and they all carry the name dune but not dune 1, dune 2 etc.

Which one to pick? http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/nl/-/EUR/BOL_DisplayCreatorPageInformation-Author?N=4294967131&No=20&Section=BOOK_EN&ShowNA=0&AUTHOR_ID=197837

• 3 weeks later...

Read "Dune", and if you really enjoy the novel, pick up the next two in the series, "Dune Messiah" and "Children of Dune".

Now "God Emperor of Dune" is the great bridge of the chronicles, and if you get to it, and fully enjoy it, I would totally suggest reading the last two novels. If you are not feeling it though, I wouldn't go any further. Know many folks who found the last three books just too bizarre and muddled (which is very true in all honesty lol) Still really neat books, though.

• 1 year later...

thanks guys!

I recently read Dune and saw the first movie(got pissed off by the rain in the end).

But, I am totally ready for more spice... :) and wont stop until my eyes turn blue :D

This thread helped as I didn't want to miss the tiniest thing by reading in the wrong order

This is how I will go-

>The original series

>Prelude to Dune

>Legends of Dune

>Heroes of Dune

not sure about the short stories though

Now I only need to physically acquire the book. Can't really order using the internet, so I suppose I'll have to run around bookstores and the like to find it.

I understand the predicament, as I grew up in SA. Much easier to get hold of things in Europe. But I remember quite easily finding the "original" Dune books in the library (depends on where in SA you live, I suppose).

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Its funny that i stumbled on to this topic as i was also wandering which book to start with, so i went to my local library and looked.

I went around the library like a lost fart and found nothing(i could not remember the authors name).

So i asked the libarian and she said {dont have those books} nevertheless she asked me what dune was about, so i said {its like starwars}.

So she typed starwars on her computer and names of books appeared,so i told her {iam not interested in starwars just type dune on that computer and c what we get}.So she typed dune and would u believe it, a couple of names popped up and straight away with a embarrasing smile the short red haired middle aged lady apologised to me . { np i said}  Look under her she said as in her for Herbert frank. So i said thanks.

i found two books     Road to Dune     and a trilogy book        Dune       Dune messiah      Children of dune  

So i decided to take road to dune, i have just finished the story . The other half of the book is about interesting stuff concerning Frank Herbert. Shortly i will begin with the trilogy which is a huge book .  

It's kind of ambiguous, from what they write in the introduction.

There was definitely an outline, and possibly some sample passages and chapter sketches by FH, but most of what is in RtD is probably KJA/BH. I've never bothered reading it myself.

Why those two idiots think people would be more interested in reading their interpretations and crap scribblings than in seeing the original FH outline and writings is beyond my comprehension.

I would have read it the other way round if I were you.  Road to Dune contains lots of deleted chapters from the first three books.

;) ;) ;)

I think ur right but what i really regret is that i only took 1 book instead of 2,the librian gave me an option of 4.Its no big deal i will just have 2 wait 4 monday and go 2 the library, its just abit out of the way.

BTW, is Spice Planet based on some kind of draft or just a plot outline? Was there any actual text written by FH, or just some notes about where the plot should go?

??? ??? ???

Well in the preface it says Spice World was written from Franks outline.

The book is divided into 3 sections:

(1)Spice Planet  +-190 pages

(2)The road to dune +-120 pages        (this section is chapters & or deleted scenes of dune & dune messiah)

(3)Short stories,4 of them +-70 pages

Basically anything that Brian Herbert & Kevin j Anderson could find was used like loose notes, manuscripts,correspondence,drawings,drafts of chapters ,ruminations about ecology and the list goes on.Tons of infomation they found in the attic and even 10years after Frank Herberts death they found 2 safe-deposit boxes full of materials . :O 8) 8)