the tleilax invade ix

clooster

any opinion on this: on k. herbert's first prequel we're told that the tleilax take over ix and the Vernius family is mostly without a hope to recover it, yet, as I recall in God Emperor there's a remark that Ix had a faraway core (of planets)very possibly at that time.I mean, it had to be a developed realm . did the tleilax took it over too, or Vernius family coud just easily slip away there and stay, or even deliver the reconquest blow from there? or what got in the way of this?

as I recall in God Emperor there's a remark that Ix had a faraway core (of planets)very possibly at that time.

Could you please give the exact quote or at least the place in GEoD where this is mentioned? Honestly, I don't remember this.

In any case, if this contradiction between the Chronicles and the prequels exists, blame it on BH&KJA ;)

I don't remember any similarities between the prequel war and any reference in GEoD.

There were like 4000 years between those two books, so a lot would have happened, especially during Pauls Jihad and God Emperor reign. I doubt the war in house prequel affected much in the long run.

In my opinion, the entire Tleilaxu occupation of Ix plot is a bit absurd. Although I liked that part of the novel (House Harkonnen) in a way (could have been a nice story about some WWII events), it doesn't fit into Dune politics as outlined in the original books.

here's the quote from ged, it kinda supports my argument. kinda. it's a third of the way thru the book: Quite early in his ascendancy he had revealed to the lxians the exact location of the supposedly secret Ixian Core, the heartland of the technological federation which they governed. It had been a secret the lxians thought safe because they paid gigantic bribes for it to the Spacing Guild. 

it happens some 50 years after the invasion and it refers to Leto, so my argument is invalid if possibly ix was colonizing planets 30 years before that, while reconstructing itself

ok, now you really caught my attention.

Leto smiled at Moneo. Under the stress of personal threat, the majordomo's mind worked well. He had failed his Lord by mistaking Face Dancer mimics for known Fremen. Now, Moneo felt that his continued service might depend upon those abilities for which the God Emperor had originally chosen him. "And now we have time to prepare ourselves," Leto said.

"Distract us from what?" Idaho demanded.

"From another plot in which they participate," Leto said. "They think I will punish them severely for this, but the Tleilaxu core remains safe because of you, Duncan."

"They didn't intend to fail here," Idaho said.

"But it was a contingency for which they were prepared," Moneo said.

"They believe I will not destroy them because they hold the original cells of my Duncan Idaho," Leto said. "Do you understand, Duncan?"

"Are they right?" Idaho demanded.

"They approach being wrong," Leto said. He returned his attention to Moneo. "No sign of this event must go with us to Onn. Fresh uniforms, new guards to replace

the dead and wounded . . . everything just as it was."

Is the part from the book where this is said, just after the face dancers attack Leto on their way to the big party (when the face dancers all change to look like Idaho).

I think what he meant by Tleilaxu Core is that he will not destroy Tleilaxu. He will let them continue to do what they have been doing for centuries, because they can produce Duncans which amuse Leto. I do not think that tleilaxu core is meant to be a secret location. Nowhere does it say it happened 50 years after the House series of books.

The quote you are referring to refers to the tleilaxu, not IX.

From what I can tell, there is no mention of hostilities between IX and tleilaxu relating to the House series of books.

Andrew, the Ixian Core is indeed mentioned in the book (p. 152 in my edition - ACE Books). While what you say about the "Tleilaxu core" in the fragment you give is correct (and the core world of the Tleilaxu is Tleilax anyway), the Ixian Core probably refers to the capitol world of the Ixians.

Ahh, I found that now.

He nodded as the pattern took shape. Quite early in his ascendancy he had revealed to the lxians the exact location of the supposedly secret Ixian Core, the heartland of the technological federation which they governed. It had been a secret the lxians thought safe because they paid gigantic bribes for it to the Spacing Guild. Leto had winkled them out by prescient observation and deduction-and by consulting his memories, where there were more than a few lxians.

So Ixians were probably hiding some planets or something, maybe to hide from Leto and his fishspeakers from invading. Even though Leto knew where it was. He would not tell anyone as long as they provided him with technology. I suppose Ix is in the Ixian core? It does not mention it directly. But Hwi Noree was created/born on Ix, in a special machine, which I presume is important (maybe some sort of "no" machine), so I would assume Ix is in the Ixian core.

Later on it says

Ixian ambassadors had always been told to find out why the God Emperor tolerated Ix. They knew they could not hide from him. This stupid attempt to plant a colony beyond his vision! Were they testing his limits? The lxians suspected that Leto did not really need their industries.

They may have had a colony far away so that could do illegal things with machines. Later it also says they were doing this on Ix.

I really need to reread the entire original books again.

clooster, I'll try to answer your question. Here's a quite from the Wikipedia article about Ix:

Dune Messiah refers to the Ixian Confederacy, indicating that no noble House rules the planet at that time (or, alternately, that it has a degree of autonomous control over several other worlds). How this came about has yet to be explained.

The original hexalogy suggests that Ix as an economical entity is not a House, contrary to what is told in the prequels. The Ixians probably had colonies on several planets, which served to house production and engineering plants, or mining facilities. This seems reasonable, because, unlike the majority of the Imperial planets which lived off agriculture, the industrial demands of Ix could not be satisfied by the resources available on a single planet.

Whether Ix was governed by a House of the Landsraad, or it was a non-House organization, they could very well have had colonies on many planets. But generally, there are known to be inconsistencies between Dune Chronicles and the prequels/sequels, so I suggest you go with what GEoD says.

• 1 month later...

Greetings folks, may I have a few questions?

I recently finished the "House Harkonnen" preludium to Dune. It seriously shocked me. Man, how I HATE those God damned Tleilax fragbaits!

Answer me these: Why did the Tleilax fragbaits have kidnapped several young girls?

Will the Ix be liberated?

Thank you, folks.

Thank you...I could not find House Corrino book so far, I live in Hungary, and there are quite few bookstores here. Trust me, I would gladly read it.

Now tell me, what are the main purpose of the axolotl tanks, and their working mechanism? In fact, what are axolotl tanks REALLY are? It's imperative for me to have these informations, it seems I couldn't get it at first time :S Sorry...

Oh yes...and why only women? Does this have any special purpose?