Dune Music

Emperor Harkonnen

• 2 weeks later...

In the extended version of Lynch's Dune, there's a scene where Gurney is playing the Baliset, which is in reality a modified Chapman Stick (or, just "Stick").  The song itself was performed by the Stick's creator, Emmett Chapman.  It's like an electric guitar, except the strings are tapped rather than strummed.  You can see the scene

• 3 weeks later...

I have an album on vinyl of a German pressing (on CTI Records, 1977) called "Dune" by a David Matthews (assuming this isn't the same Dave Matthews of the Dave Matthews Band). The first side is all Dune inspired, the second side includes "Space Oddity", "Silent Running", "Princess Leia's Theme", and "Main Theme from Star Wars". I haven't listened to it in a long time, but I don't remember being very impressed with it.

Just listening to it again. It's elevator music. I almost typed "bad elevator music", but this might actually be "good" elevator music, if such a thing existed. But that still wouldn't be speaking to highly of it. Oh, and it has 70s synthesizers and guitars.

• 1 month later...

I actually like the way Ordos turned from just "greedy guys" to "inhuman" in the series. They are beyond morality of any kind, calculating and scheming all the way. Jarrid Mendelson's Ordos soundtrack emphasizes that pretty well. I believe that Ordos, although an "invented" House, still fit into Dune picture somehow. There's a lot of Dune characters that rise above human passions and lose some of their humanity. Somehow I tend to associate the Ordos in Emperor with the Tleilaxu from the last two Dune books.