the best unit in dune II

kloball31

• 4 weeks later...

One thing: the Ordos sucked in that game. Ammon (the Ordos Mentat) must have been really pissed off about how much the Deviators, Raiders, and Saboteurs all sucked. If you want a challenge in Dune II, beat the game with the Ordos a couple times. Well, at least they're better now, in Emperor.

Man, but in that game Death Hand missiles were seriously powerful! They were very inaccurate, but they could take out your whole base! Now that's what I call a superweapon! In Emperor the superweapons are a bit lame, but I still think Emperor's a much better game than Dune 2.

Guest Someguy

I agree with Gobalopper, the missile tank probrably is the best unit in Dune II. It can inflict a huge amount of damage when used properly, it isn't too slow like other tanks and they're not to expensive. But you had to make sure that they were backed up with something, anything got to close to them and the rocket tank became useless. Although the death hand much more powerful than anything else, unless you cheat (Save/Load until you hit) it rarely hits anything remotly near where you aimed, and as it's only available every few minutes its a weapon I wouldn't rely on.

As for the worst unit, I don't think there are any. All units are good when used correctly, the saboteur just seems to cop alot of crap because they are difficult to use. I think if they were buildable like other units rather than only being available every now and then, they would be much more useful.

Ordos though are definantly at a major disadvantage to other houses when it comes to units though. Even with the deviator, they are poorly equiped and I would say anyone who can complete the game as that house is quite skilled (I still can't do it without cheating).

My favourite tactic was to attract the units attention by firing some shoots off with the Missile Tank and then having the regular tanks go in and do the real damage while it ran away. They were also great against any sort of Turret since they could attack without taking damage, I think the Sonic Tank was the only other unit to do that.

I beat the game with all three sides although I wouldn't want to go back and do it again, not because the game isn't fun to play, it just takes too long since you have to individually select each unit... if they had "selection boxes" the game would still be pretty good.

Sounds like the original Civilazation game. That thing was sorta fun when we got it but now I can't stand to play it. It takes to long...it too makes it so you have to click one unit at a time. Do you know how many turns it takes to assemble a surround and siege type force so that the enemy will be hit consecutively in the same turn? A lot. I'd have to agree with missile tank though for most valuable Dune 2 unit.

Hey guys what do you think about reviewing the good old Dune II. I am not a programist so I will only give a clues. If anyone wants add any improvments, go on.

Let's name it Dune II Special Edition, as Dune 2000 is reserved :((

1. Lets keep graphics, but make them in 32 bit palette

2. Keep the units but improve their animation and attack effects and sounds.

3. Add multiplayer modes: serial, lan, internet

4. Drag box to select units

5. Production cues

6. Add ctrl + #

7. More maps

8. Skirmish mode

9. Visual map creator

10. More units (in numbers)

11. Chating while multiplayer

I know it will in some way make the game similar to Dune 2000 but I want to keep the style of Dune II. Maybe if Westwood would release the source....

12. Infantry - very fast

13. Troopers to kiling vehicles and buildings, but invisible to turrets from distance.

14. Semi controlled Ornis, to chose between the targets: units, buildings, defend base

"Well duh...seeing as DuneII was only a great game "in it's time" and now it's a bit outdated."

I agree, but my message was more directed to those who say that Dune II's STILL better than Emperor. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I can't imagine how DUNE II can be better.

Good idea Select, but I think that most of us have wanted that for a LONG, LONG time.

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, I LOVE playing as the Ordos, with the deviator! If you hit a Harkonnen vehicle and send it to attack an Ateides building, or vice-versa, they'll just keep attacking it, 'til it destroyed it! why risk your own units, when you can use theirs? Finished the game, as Ordos, many, many times, with no cheats, using that strategy... :)

• 1 month later...

awesome tactic with the "death hand", w/o knowing where the enemy is within the fog of war.

u have to listen carefully...

save before you launch a death hand missile...if you dont hear a building blow up, load and try again.

(there is a difference between a sound of a death hand exploding and the sound of it exploding and taking out buildings at the same time.

yes, the missile tank is definately the best unit. my favorite tactic in dune 2 was to amass a force of 6-8 missile tanks and 6-8 siege tanks in a corner of the screen and slowly take out the enemy base in a single sweep, sending in a trike to lure out defending units into my trap. with the units out of the way, i could lurk out of rocket turret range and take them out, then take out buildings one by one. or i could just rush the base with suicide squads. such brain-dead strategies don't work in emperor, as i learned after the first few times i played it.

having to click each unit individually was annoying.."::ccchhh::reporting::chhh::affirmitave::chhh::yessir:acknowledged::ccchhh::..heheheh

• 2 weeks later...

I also couldn't play with anything else than Atreides in DuneII.

Therefor my favourit unity was ( as you might have guesed )

the sonic. Use 4 sonic's to slowly gain ground and destroy

enemy buildings. Another 3 to 4 tanks should be used to defend

your sonic from being attacked from the rear. When you give

this a change, you can winn every level with ( of cours a

complete base ) just 4 sonic's and 4 tanks.

And yes, you couldn't have a massive attack becouse the first

units are already under attack when you're still clicking on the

rest of your army. You could however move every unit, inch by inch

over the battleground, a couple of sonics in front to damage upcomming

enemy units, backed up with missile tanks and ( heavy ) tanks at the

two sides. When you hav enough time, ( and I mean a lot of time ;D )

you can get the intire bunch of units safe to the enemy base.

Cheers ,.. . .

Provided the game speed was set to full (via bug), the sonic tank was almost too good. Only the missile tank could outrange it, and it did mass damage, and it did almost as much as the devastator. Not to mention the fact that its speed was pretty good.

With mass attacks, the trick is to order the slow or far-away units to attack first, and lastly the quick units or those with not far to get there. Force the situation if needs be. It is a fine art, but, if you can master it, it works wonders.

• 1 month later...

ive never gotten past level 3 in Dune2 :(

but from what ive used before:

BEST INFANTRY: Trooper (though 3 Light Infantry in a group can kill him)

BEST BUILDING: Construction YArd, no reason why 8)

BEST VEHICLE: Quad. I never knew how a tank looked like in Dune2 as ive not used it before, nor saw it. But Quads bullets beat that of the useless trikes. Raiders are good, but can't beat the awesome Quad. :O :O

Constant attack of thopters? WTF are you talking about?

Wasnt that LATE in the harkonnen campaing?

And why should Atreides get attacked with Ornithopters if they are the only one who have them?  ???  ::)  

BTW, Dune2 had/have the greatest atmosphere EVER in a game IMHO. (Ra1 comes second).

My brother bought it when i was hmmmm, 5?, and i used to be in the room next to his bedroom and listen to him play (he locked his door). and when that music came when it was a battle, i would run and hide, because i got so scared. :)

I remember a level where atreides started almost in the left upper courner. The rocks you could build on where in a small line straight down to just below the middle of the map. I think the Ordos where on the opposit side of the map. Between the two bases there was onother rock place, small from top to bottom about in the center of the map.

The level was fun to play, the start was difficult becouse of the thopter attecks in the beginning of the level. Below the center of the map there wasn't any place t build anymore, if was full of spice. ( it's not the level with the two Harkonnen bases. )

• 4 weeks later...
Level 3, wasn't that where you got an almost contstant attact of thopters ? Just build 2 turrets as soon as you can. That's what helped me when I played Atreides.

i played as Ordos believing that they were powerful as they had both light infantry AND troopers.

btw what is <p> for? why do i see it so often?

oh yeah i was distracted by the sandworm, and my economy was way too low

Distracted by the great Maker ?

For ? Isn't that a word as well in Englisch ? In Dutch you can compair it to "voor". You can use it in a lot of ways.

examples; ( translated from Dutch so I hope you get the meaning :) )

"Can you do that for me ?"

"For love or money."

"I need that before tonight."