Bring it Back to Life!!!!

Weeman06

Well well well... less than two years after a time when we had over a thousand posts a month and a day with only 10 posts seemed unbearably slow, we are now getting just a few posts per week. The main reason for this disastrous state of affairs seems to be that our old members who did most of the posting have gone inactive. I include myself in this category, seeing how I've been gone for half a year.

Something needs to be done. Thus, I hereby resurrect the "Bring it Back to Life" thread, in the hope that this will spark some discussion on how to get back to at least 2010 levels of posting.

Alright, let's see... the fact is that we haven't had a large number of active posters for many years. Our highest recent posting levels were due to a relatively small number of old-timers who wanted to keep the community going. Many of them seemed to have stopped posting in late 2010 due to the forum software change, or in 2011 due to the drama in PRP. I think we should focus on getting them to come back. I will go check how much contact information we have for people who haven't been around in a while.

Ah, but Dante, if you survived Emprworm and Navaros, you can survive anything! :)

Anyway, it seems a good part of the old team still checks FED2k regularly. Excellent! So, let's change things up a bit. Maybe we can start with some interesting discussions in PRP... hmmm, I'll have to think of topics...

From time to time I stop by to see if something new is in. But frankly, the forum 'seems' dead. And most of the new topics don't really get my interest.

To be honest, I stopped posting myself since no one really replied to my posts. They showed no interest, or at least, they didn't make it visible. So I thought, I am a nuisance to them. Bothering other people is not my hobby. My hobby is working on my board game. Whereas the progress is kept to myself these days.

I remember one topic where someone posted some hospital humor. I replied, but was the only one. I am sure more people liked this humor, but never took the time to show it to that person. And that person will doubtingly start more topics since no one will reply to them. It's like making a good joke, but no one laughs... They... just... watch.

And that's the main problem, people don't reply when they should. Agreeing and/or building forward on someone's topic is a reply as well you know.

To be honest, I stopped posting myself since no one really replied to my posts. They showed no interest, or at least, they didn't make it visible. So I thought, I am a nuisance to them. Bothering other people is not my hobby. My hobby is working on my board game. Whereas the progress is kept to myself these days.

I remember one topic where someone posted some hospital humor. I replied, but was the only one. I am sure more people liked this humor, but never took the time to show it to that person. And that person will doubtingly start more topics since no one will reply to them. It's like making a good joke, but no one laughs... They... just... watch.

And that's the main problem, people don't reply when they should. Agreeing and/or building forward on someone's topic is a reply as well you know.

While the reasoning that no replies indicates a lack of interest from the members has merit, I'd say that posting updates on some topic (like your boardgame project) even if there are no replies is still viable since there are guests who will read your posts while being unable to answer. If you don't have a personal blog or a specialized forum for your project, I see no harm in posting news and updates about it on various forums you visit. After all, unless a user's post explicitly violates forum rules, no one can really accuse you of "bothering" other people.

While the reasoning that no replies indicates a lack of interest from the members has merit, I'd say that posting updates on some topic (like your boardgame project) even if there are no replies is still viable since there are guests who will read your posts while being unable to answer. If you don't have a personal blog or a specialized forum for your project, I see no harm in posting news and updates about it on various forums you visit. After all, unless a user's post explicitly violates forum rules, no one can really accuse you of "bothering" other people.

True, no one replied negatively. So no harm there, if i "reopend" my progress.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the homepage hasn't been updated in over a year (nearly two!) People go to dune2k.com and see old news, and they assume that the sites dead.

Post new news! I know Dunenewet did it for awhile, but the excuse that he hasn't been around much doesn't really justify over two years of nothing happening on the front page.

Like..Here's some news there is an Active Dune Sub Reddit going with around 575 subs. http://www.reddit.com/r/dune/

Post new news! I know Dunenewet did it for awhile, but the excuse that he hasn't been around much doesn't really justify over two years of nothing happening on the front page.

Um... What Dune-related news exactly do you suggest to post? AFAIK nothing of real importance has been happening over the past couple of years.

• 6 months later...

I see a decent amount of news on reddit and other places that's dune related. I sent a message to gob about taking over posting news on the front page. He hasn't responded in two weeks.

This sites dead, we need to come up with an alternative. The great zensunni migration if you will.