Bring it Back to Life!!!!

Weeman06

OK anyone reading this must immediatly do after you read this

-------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to bring FED2k back to life by asking everyone to come on every day checking messages posting on a random topic, start a new topic and maybe make a new competetion for dune2 dune 2000 or battle for dune. All I am asking you all to do is bring this site back to life, talk about it on a frequently used forum you go onto, spread the word, make this site become a real community site where everyone will enjoy

Sincerely, Weeman06

Personally i check in with Fed2k virtually everyday (General, Emperor Boards and occasionally others like poltics or gaming)it's the first site i visit as i check my emails.

Like many here i visit but rarely post unless i find a topic interesting or have something to say/share.

On most sites i visit Fed2k is generally mentioned, if only in my signature.  ;D

Oh and i didn't realise it was dead and needed reviving, just quieter these days which isn't that surprising with no new Games, films, Books or Series available, it is afterall a Dune based forum.

;)

My goal is to bring FED2k back to life by asking everyone to come on every day checking messages posting on a random topic, start a new topic and maybe make a new competetion for dune2 dune 2000 or battle for dune. All I am asking you all to do is bring this site back to life, talk about it on a frequently used forum you go onto, spread the word, make this site become a real community site where everyone will enjoy

Hey, sounds like a totalitarian approach to online communication :) You can't force anyone into posting in "random" topics. That would be a simulacrum of life, wouldn't it?

I agree that it's quieter here nowadays, but you can't maintain non-stop action and excitement 365 days a year ;D Autumn is quite a busy season, you know...

• Upvote 1

Hey, sounds like a totalitarian approach to online communication :) You can't force anyone into posting in "random" topics. That would be a simulacrum of life, wouldn't it?

I agree that it's quieter here nowadays, but you can't maintain non-stop action and excitement 365 days a year ;D Autumn is quite a busy season, you know...

Autumn? Autumn? What do you mean, Autumn? There are no seasons on the endless sands of Dune!!

But seriously, I think that people would be discouraged from visiting if the only posts here were random, uninteresting posts. It would just end up as a spam fest. And anyway, Fed2k doesn't need reviving, it needs a funeral!! ;)

bring it back to life? it isn't even dead yet and I doubt it will be in the nearby future. there may be weeks or monthy when there is not that much activity around the forums (I myself have been very passive over the last few weeks) but that's nothing unusual. people still check in here regularly and post answers or start new topics or just keep their private conversations via pm going...

• 2 weeks later...

It would seem like any other Singaporean forum if you were to enforce some random post policy... in those forums, people post randomly on a voluntary basis, and most posts don't even provide opinions that exceed 2 complete sentences in any language.

I guess some folks have decided they have other motivations and so are moving on with other stuff in life. No matter, the rest of us are happy here. I'm not posting very frequently here, to be very frank. It's especially bad when you return after a period of not posting and you see how much had happened recently and feel lazy to catch up.

''I can't say I'd really enjoy a forum with that many inane "random" posts and topics.  If people want to check the boards, they will.  On their own time.  It's a hobby, not a job.''

I definetely agree with that. For me, posts should be carefully made and read or else they aren't worth reading. I much prefer the PRP as it is now with a small number of clear logical posts to you're usual board full of foolish nonsense that has not been thought out properly.

Admittedly, I have asked for a more active fed2k style post. Yet I doubt that I will find a forum as interesting, pure (ie: not filled with spamming, flaming and other rubbish) and fun as this.

Admittedly, I haven't experienced a great deal of forums, but none I've seen have been able to compare to Fed2k, so, from the looks of things, Fed2k will remain as my only seriously visited forum regardless of it's current inactivity.

Well, this forum is of a fairly esoteric nature. You need to have some interest in Dune in some way or another to click well here. That means a lot of people who join forums for other random purposes won't find much to do here. Consequently, you get a relatively small community. In most other forums, with so many members, the amount of spam, random crap and nonsense posts you get is exponentially greater than quality posts. Go figure. It's quiet here, but quality too.

• 1 month later...

You must be close to Namipigai if you dare a joke like that ;D j/k

The great thing about joking in such a way on forums is that you can always explain you'reself if required, in contrast to real life. Though obviously Namipagai wouldn't take that seriously.

Anyway, While an increase in post frequency may lead to a reduction in post quality, there is no reason why we can't invite others to the thread right? I myself have extended an invitation on another forum, only to find out later that that forum was dead anyway. Hence, no reply.

BTW, whatever happened to the counter-culture vs pop-culture thread in PRP. Was it removed, and if so why?

Perhaps the mod's feared the CIA's interpretation on our discussion on rousing the masses?:D

For the rest most of us are still hanging around here somewhere it seems.

How true...its a shame that Fan Fic can't keep one thread going, and that there aren't any more Dune games coming out to keep people coming to this site.  But that's life...

I don't think the number of people on the forum has decreased - it just seems we all post less than we used to. I know I do. I've been posting little more than once every week or two for the past two years or so.

Although, now that I think about it, I haven't seen Gunwounds and Dust Scout/Dante in a long time, and they were among the most active posters. The amount of discussion in PRP has gone down significantly since they left.

But still, I joined FED2k back in 2000, and there was far less activity back then than there is now. The forum really took off thanks to Emperor. I think the problem is that we're all getting older and have less spare time (on the one hand), and that FED2k hasn't succeeded in recruiting Dune fans from outside the gaming world (on the other hand). There must be more fans of the Dune novels online than the number we get here.

It seems unlikely that there will be another Dune game of any kind in the forseeable future, so we should do more to try to recruit fans of the prequels and sequels.

But as far as gaming communities go, it's quite amazing that FED2k is this active five years after the last game release. Are there any Red Alert 2 or Renegade forums this active? I doubt it.

It seems unlikely that there will be another Dune game of any kind in the forseeable future, so we should do more to try to recruit fans of the prequels and sequels.

...be sure of that or you could regret it ;D

I guess we'd notice differences between the official boards' "classic Dune" and "Brian/Anderson Dune" styles. And I bet that neither would be FED2k, so it's a choice of environment. Besides, they've separated the two boards for some reason ;D

Different crowds bring different things, and what we have here is probably quite "game-world + Frank's Dune" people (with fanfic, Internet enthusiasts, serious/fun mix, content-based threads etc).

We are all fine in our differences, and I like it much here (and appreciate newcomers).

Conclusion: Dunno. We should connect to Barney n' Friends communities.