Emperor on XP Startup Problem Solution

toktok

I have a small strange problem and solution. (Perhaps someone has a better solution?).

I recently reinstalled Emperor on Windows XP (SP2, all updates). When I start the program, it just won't start. When you press Ctrl-Alt-Del and get the task list, after a few seconds it says something like 'Emperor Doesn't run' and then 'Program doesn't reply'. Then if I stop the program and again start it, it runs fine. This I have to do every time the computer has been shut down. Thought this might help somebody. Does anyone know how to fix this? (PS. I have installed the latest patch 09).

Did you use the Install fix? It's available on this site(Downloads/emperor/patches). I used it every time I have installed EMP, (so far on 10 PC's, all running XP SP2)

Also any time I install EMP, I do a "Clean Install"

1- run an error check on the C drive (Requires reboot)

2- Run CCleaner, a free drive cleaner program (just be sure to back up the registry when prompted)-reboot.

3- Defrag- rebooot

4- Install the game (following the instructions in the install fix read me)- then patch to 1.09

From time to time I see these posts where people have trouble with XP. But doing it this way I have never had any trouble.

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a small strange problem and solution. (Perhaps someone has a better solution?).

I recently reinstalled Emperor on Windows XP (SP2, all updates). When I start the program, it just won't start. When you press Ctrl-Alt-Del and get the task list, after a few seconds it says something like 'Emperor Doesn't run' and then 'Program doesn't respond'. Then if I stop the program and again start it, it runs fine. This I have to do every time the computer has been shut down. Thought this might help somebody. Does anyone know how to fix this? (PS. I have installed the latest patch 09).

Perhaps I should add that when you try to stop the program in the above procedure, sometimes you won't be able to use the mouse, as the small window disappears when you move the mouse cursor to it. You have to use the Tab key to change the focus to the 'stop program now' button, and then press the Enter key.