How is the progress of Arrakis/D2TM going?

lord vernius of ix

• 1 month later...

Better late than never, huh? ;) I view D2TM as more than merely a game in progress. For me, it's a kind of a lifestyle, so to speak :) Although I haven't done anything for D2TM's development for ages, I still somehow feel being part of it. After all, it were Stefan's and TonyD's projects (D2TM and Dune Legacy respectively) that brought me into the world of Dune in the first place ;D

BTW, maybe someone should change the thread name to something less pessimistic (like "Any news about D2TM progress?" or something like that), lest we scare people who are interested in the project away.

Also, Stefan, I believe it's perfectly normal to stop working on the project for some time - even if time is not of the essence (these days seem to be gone, however), just to have some rest of it, and let the interest rekindle itself after some time ;)

• 1 month later...

Well, i can't somehow let go of D2TM. And with my current work i gain more experience in programming, and beyond that.

Who knows i might pick it up again when i have some more time. But i just don't want to make any promises anymore. As long as people find it fun ( I do get e-mails with people saying they really like D2TM DEMO 3.x ) i find it fun to code it.

I know you don't update your old site anymore, but maybe you'd add the update the seed pack both as a separate download and as part of D2TM Demo 0.92 to give it a sense of completeness? I downloaded it recently (to update from 0.9 which I had shelved for a long time since you started a complete rewrite), and it still plays quite smoothly :) If you need the seed pack and the new version of the seed revealer which gives 100% accurate maps with little effort, they are still attached to my post here.

Heh, yeah, such things happen sometimes :D I think someone of the senior staff members could help on this. Mahdi's back btw ;D (I actually never got to a personal acquaintance with him, but at the time of his departure... I was lurking around (on the forum, that is)

EDIT: I've just found out that the newer versions of the seed maps are incompatible with D2TM v0.92 :( Whereas Dune Legacy, Dunedit and TCH's scenario editor seem to read them normally... I'll try to fix that soon.

EDIT2: I found what caused this problem. For some reason, I had the new seed maps in the pack marked "read only", and this alone prevented D2TM from correctly reading them. Just remove the "read only" tag to make sure they work. Still, however, the spice dunes and, seemingly, sand dunes as well are missing from the new maps, although rock/sand/spice are all accurate.

Odd about D2TM not working with them. But, perhaps it is because v0.92 does not use the same load mechanism as D2TM DEMO 3.x

Btw, for this week (til 29th feb) i am here : Utah, Salt Lake City, Cottonwood

linkey:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=nl&geocode=&q=Utah,+Salt+Lake+City,+Cottonwood+6425+South+3000+East&sll=40.631851,-111.901417&sspn=0.006367,0.020084&ie=UTF8&ll=40.632014,-111.802454&spn=0.006367,0.020084&t=h&z=16

• 2 weeks later...

Stefan, does the latest version of D2TM (DEMO 3) support drawing additional spice defined by the "Field=" part of the map section? Because I think D2TM 0.92 doesn't, and I'm thinking about making specific seed maps for it with pre-placed additional spice fields (the map extractor reads these fields as regular spice). Given that you can update the archive with new files that is :D

Still no solution for missing spice dunes, except placing them manually, which I'm not exactly looking forward to. Perhaps I'd contact Olaf van der Spek and ask him, since they're missing from the extracted map.out already.