Rumor: New Dune Movie!

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

If i wanted to hear endless unfounded opinions I'd just go to the pub.

heh....reminds me of a good tune I heard once......  *cue guitar strumming*

Lad, it's your duty to find ye a lass

With child-bearing hips and a pink, supple ass..............

.........or you can just watch the video (funny video)

(some sexuality and um...blood)

*edit*

here's a less graphic video (the sparse commentary/solo is kinda funny) for those of queezy stomaches.  (the song's the funniest part anyway.)

*edit*

Sorry, I'm getting internet forum ADD....back to topic.........

I've actually never seen the mini series.  Only saw a few clips of the 80's film.  I'm looking forward to a new Dune movie.  If it ends up being not so great, (movies are usually less effective than the books) I'll just stick to my Dune books.

also I just signed that petition for that independent Dune trilogy movie.  I wish it weren't blocked.  grrr.......curse the US I.P. law practices.

• 4 weeks later...

Bryon Merritt still wont comment on the rumours that Peter Berg will direct the next film.

Also saw this from Bryon on the subject of a new Dune game:

Everything currently hinges on contract details for the proposed new Dune movie. It's up in the air right now ...but should soon come back to ground. We'll know more in a few months ...I hope.

As I once stated somewhere else, I'd like to see a Dune-themed stealth action about an elite assassin at the times of the Old Empire (before Paul's ascension). Perhaps a secret Tleilaxu plot thrown in, and some other intrigue features as well. Re-making the books into a game directly doesn't sound all to feasible to me, because there's much more inner conflict with the main characters than just "action". What "action" is most Dune (book) comprised of? The first part can hardly be turned into a game, since Paul is more-or-less passive (from the gameplay POV that is) and all action is too straightforward to become challenging gameplay. When Paul lives among the Fremen, what is more important - his visions and inner struggle against the course of actions he wishes to escape but cannot alter, or skirmishes with Harkonnen goons (and some Sardaukar troops) in most of which he didn't even directly participate?

I'd settle for a Dune RTS, but a mod for C&C3 is looking very promising, so an online game is what I want.  Maybe it could be done after a trilogy of Dune films, in the style of Matrix Online after the Matrix trilogy.  A Dune Generations style game wouldn't tie in with a movie, as much as I would like to see that kind of game, and there is a lot of time between the first three books and GEoD.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I would have thought the movie would be at least 2 hours long.  I'll be dragging all of my friends to see this too.  Looks like this guy could bring in some big names as well.  Ironically, I'm watching one of the films he's an actor in right now because its on TV.

Guys, this isn't anything new.  This article was posted two months ago (and already posted here in this thread I think) and doesn't really say anything.  It's an MTV blog with Berg quoted by some anonymous MTV writer as saying that he's going to do Dune but, wait, there's no script.  No writers.  No studio or production companies.  No time frame.  No beggining of pre-production.  No official announcement.  And, oh yeah, it won't be made until after he finishes this spy movie with Tom Cruise that he hasn't even met with Tom Cruise about yet.

It's nothing.  I'm glad you're all hopefull and eager for a new Dune film, and I'll admit, I'd be using my contacts at the theaters to get a seat in a preview for it if/when it came out, but you're counting your eggs before they're hatched.

• 4 weeks later...

"The filmmakers consider its theme of finite ecological resources particularly timely."

I fear the actuality of themes like myth-based political power, consequences of a legalized use of drugs, messianistic complex of the heroes and struggle for the control of the most important substance for logistics and (in this case only spiritual) energy alike won't be recognized in contrast to such a great idea...