Rumor: New Dune Movie!

Andrew

RUMOR: More On That New DUNE Project We've Been Hearing About!! Studio?? Director??

And the Possible Dune Remake's Director Might Be...

The Remake Must Flow

New "Dune" Movie Planned

Frank Herbert's Grandson original quote bottom of page.

I'm not exactly sure how they could make a movie in 2 hours about original Dune book. Lynchs Dune left out a lot of the book, but I guess this happens with every book adaptation. I'd rather see a large miniseries going over the entire 6 books. How many times will they redo the original book? Not that I don't mind more Dune stuff.

I'm not exactly sure how they would incorporate the prequels into a Dune movie based upon the original novel. It would not make any sense to do that. To make a 2 hour movie based upon the original novel, there would be no time to add prequel crap.

Although, Lynch's Dune had lots of stuff that had nothing to do with the novel... so I guess it is possible.

I'm under heavy impression that their main strategy is to unite the original material with their own in as many ways as possible to justify the canonicity of the prequels/sequels. The new movie might be a way to elbow Lynch's one in the corner along with the Dune Encyclopedia as "non-canon". This expansionist strategy, relying on the "true canon" idea, would ensure monopoly on the Dune "trademark".

Maybe this is too much a conspiracy theory stuff, but I can't get off the feeling that Herbert Partnership Limited (or whatever they're called) is doing pure business before anything else.

I agree that Lynch's Dune is not canon, but I believe that when it was being shot, and generally before any prequels and stuff was written, the idea of "canon" itself was irrelevant. Dune was a wide field of creativity and imagination. By imposing the "canon" idea, HPL limits (no pun intended) Dune to its own copyrighted stuff. It seems that they have gone so far as to prohibit creation of a fan Dune movie, although I think there's no copyright infringement in such activities.

Of course, Lynch's Dune will remain a Lynch's film (although I've heard there are people who have considered it a failure), but the tendency to monopolize Dune still remains, at least this is what I think.

Although a commercial failure, Lynch's Dune is still valued by Dune fans I suppose. I didn't like it all too much when I first watched it, but then I came to actually enjoy it and definitely think of as more than just "at least it's a Dune screen adaptation" :) Besides, Lynch's works are always "weird", and there's a good soundtrack too.

I dont believe it can be adapted to film. It would take an extensive miniseries, and I just don't know if Dune would be a profitable miniseries to make at this time. It also has been attempted so many times, that it probably will be received with less and less credibility.

If it is Peter Jackson or similar I can understand, but otherwise and even then it's surprising that they think of doing this a third time. It took much to get LotR done once. Three different versions would be surprising even for novels known of everyone. It looks like a special case so who knows :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't think Peter Jackson would be the best director for this film at all, and I don't know why people think he would be. Jackson is very good at directing epic movies but Dune isn't epic in the way in which Lord of the Rings is. It needs a director who would pay close attention to all the minutiae of the novel and keep in all the many threads which are present in Herbert's writing. Jackson would make it a far more visual experience but thats not what Dune is about.

A film adaptation capturing the essence of a book that has so much resting in the thought-provoking ideas and dialogue? The book was never meant to win on artificial worlds and fantasy stuff, but on concepts, ideas, reality. How can a movie portray these accurately AND remain a success? I have my doubts.

Apparently its Paramount Studios who are interested, and Shia LaBoeuf or however you spell it, is lined up to play Paul.  Just rumours so far...

Actually, that little boy (Shia) isn't bad choice at all. IMHO of course. He has enough screen charisma and he ain't that bad when it comes to acting. At least there are far worse options for Paul than this. But since all this is based on rumours... we shall take them with a grain of salt.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... You have to bring arguments to back up your claim. IMHO, a TV series is a more suitable media for convey the ideas of this novel. People watch movies to be entertained and thrilled and studios produce movies to make a quick and cheap buck. As a consequence, in a movie, you have to cut a great deal of the material to streamline it in a few hours. However, I would like to see what would be the understanding of my favorite filmmakers of this book. For instance, what would be the Coen brothers view of Frank Herbert's universe?