Linux gurus out there?

Hey, just installed Fedora on my laptop and am learning as I go. I'm learning through Fedora to aid me in my future career as a network administrator or IT tech guy. So! Anybody enjoying their distribution of Linux? I'm using the Gnome GUI, it looks a lot like a Mac - is that on purpose?

I don't use linux that much but I do follow ubuntu and a couple others. Just so you know on October 18 they will be releasing a new version so you can test the live cd to see if you like it :)

I'll hopefully install it and dual boot with windows xp.

I don't know about gnome looking like mac.

Try the enterprise release of Redhat if you're gonna do anything serious in IT.

Depending on what you like for career Fedora might not the best pick. Then on the other hand RedHat/Fedora has been my release of choice ever sins RadHat 5 was out. That Fedora / RedHat distro has been the only one of which I have tried out almost every version.

Why did you pick Fedora ?

I looked online for the pros and cons of the many distros out there and one site said that Fedora would be good for learning Linux in a professional atmosphere. Lost the site, but that's pretty much why I chose Fedora. The enterprise release of Redhat, that is not free right?

It is not free.

Most schools have a software contract though which allows you to use MS, Adobe and Linux versions for free if you are a student.

RedHat usually has a Beta version of the enterprise release which can be downloaded for free.

• 3 months later...

Hey, just installed Fedora on my laptop and am learning as I go. I'm learning through Fedora to aid me in my future career as a network administrator or IT tech guy. So! Anybody enjoying their distribution of Linux? I'm using the Gnome GUI, it looks a lot like a Mac - is that on purpose?

Sorry for the super late response.

If you are just learning the basics of Linux then any version will do.

There is only so much you can learn at home though. The really tricky stuff you can usually only learn through OJT. I started learning Unix on SunOS 4.2 and Solaris 2.5. All that I had learned there helped me with Linux.  I think the big things to learn now is how to make Linux work as a file server with Windows machines so knowing how to setup Samba is probably real important. Setting up shared accounts on Domains is probably another big thing to know. I am a programmer so I really don't know what is super big in Linux IT, but I have worked on systems that use Linux/Unix and these are the things I see the admins doing.

Good luck with the new carreer!