How can I detect the type of RAM I using?

I have 1024Mb of RAM, and I want to increase it to 2028Mb... I don't know what to buy because I don't remember the cuantity, type, brand, etc. of the RAM cards I have already installed...

Someone told me about a program that let you see your system specifications with details... I don't remember its name.

Ok, so here is my ram info from CPU-Z.

That doesn't seem to tell me anything. I look at local online store and cannot compare anything. Even going to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2 doesn't tell me which ram I have.

here and here is an example of an online place where I could buy ram from when on sale. I have no clue which one would go in my computer.

I have 4 ram spots, 2 are taken buy 512, and max module size is 1gb.

Do you have to get exact same ram as other ones currently in?

post-1194-12833239546596_thumb.png

I dunno man, that pretty much tells you everything you need to know about your stick of memory...right down to the date it was made.

cpuz-meminfo.jpg

If I took this info with me to a PC shop or ordered by the info I have in front of me,I would get the correct one. As for the other question, I myself just go by what the mainboard says. That and I never mix up different types of memory. Meaning don't put a 512 Kingston in with a 128 of some off-brand stuff.

Staying in the same pairs/sizes seems to have always worked out for the best for me anyway.

I would just say that when in doubt at all, look up the mainboard manual online or if you have one. It specifically says what type goes in what slot etc, etc.

• 2 months later...

Is it an off brand? I know it will do that with a no-name type module. I'm not saying it won't work or show up, but good name brands will always show up in detail..such as Kingston or Crucial and many other good quality brand memory.Cheap memory is a different story though. I've always chose Kingston for it's lifetime warranty. I mean you can practically break the damn thing and they will send you another one within a few days.

Do you have to get exact same ram as other ones currently in?

I would be willing to bet that it will take 4 gigs, as in 4 x 1 gig sticks. But I also dont have the mboard manual so i can't be 100% sure. If it does take that much, then I would put 4 x 1 gig sticks in it....again if it will take that. It's always good to place say 4 x 512 sticks or 4 x 1 gig sticks

matching of course is always best.

To know what max size ram you can put in, you would have to check your computer specs.

http://forum.dune2k.com/index.php?topic=18568.0

System Information for Windows or

PC Wizard 2006

Should be able to tell you.

For pc wizard click on mainboard->physical memory->bottom->

Memory Controller Information :

Memory Controller : DIMM

Number of connectors : 4

Max. Module Size : 1024 MB

Max. Memory Size : 4096 MB

is what it is for me.

I once bought some no-name off brand crap memory long ago. When I opened CPU-Z, it showed nada damn thing about it except the timings. It's almost like CPU-Z was telling me,"Why the hell do you want to buy this crap for?". I think it had like a 30 day warranty, and it started failing mem-tests shortly after the 30 days was up. Needless to say I since then only use Kingston. They have the fastest RMA in the frickin world. Lightning took out a pair of them once and I swear it took about4 days to get a brand new replacement pair of 512 sticks...Love that lifetime warranty. But, I still say the motherboard manual(which is downloadable) tells way more info on the ram needed,configuration etc. than any of the programs tell you.