Does anyone know where to find the Dune 2 intro in GIF format?

Dark Knight ez

I know it's possible. The palette consists out of 256 entries for each intro scene (well, for the most part anyway, if you don't count the multiple layers for rockets and such). I'm just sort of lazy and thought someone else might have done it already. I saw the harvester scene of the intro as animated GIF on these forums right here, but can't find the other scenes. Also checked out the site(s) linked to, but had no luck in finding more.

You're right. It seems ordos.gif and harkonnen.gif are missing a couple of frames. Still, this saves me A LOT of effort. So thanks, Nema Fakei.

I must say, I'm surprised that you have ordos.gif and harkonnen.gif in the first place, because they actually exist out of multiple layers originally with each layer having their own palette. You probably had to drop some colours, right? Not that it matters, because it looks great and I wouldn't notice if I didn't know the amount of colours needed to be reduced to be an animated GIF. Looking at how good this looks, makes me wonder why Westwood went through all the trouble of making it multi-layered, multi-paletted.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, something's missing...

When the emperor talks in the intro, he says two sentences:

"Whoever controls the spice, controls Dune."

"There are no set rules and territories and no rules of engagement."

Now, in the intro pak file - as well as the .gif file I have right now - the emperor only says the first sentence.

After that, he's supposed to quickly move his eyes to the right and back again, and say the second sentence.

I've checked the finale pak (in which the emperor speaks as well) but that doesn't seem to contain the eyemovement... So, no idea what Dune2 uses for the eyemovement and the second sentence. Anybody has an idea regarding this?

Edit:

Ugh. I used a Youtube video as reference material because I was too lazy to boot up DosBox each time. Anyway, it seems there are different versions of the intro... changes such as the subtitle (The Battle for Arrakis or The Building of A Dynasty), the order of the westwood and virgin logo, and the talk of the emperor.

So basicly, my version didn't have the eyemovement, so the graphics for it wasn't included, obviously.