Shai-Hulud engine, new potention

stefanhendriks

If you haven't checked my latest news at http://d2tm.duneii.com . Then first see this picture; which might get you interested. Also think that everything you see. *everything* you see (yes, the icon , the window caption, the mouse, the shadows, the terrain, etc) is modable. And it is open source. Multi-platform. Yay. So far so good.

D2k - The maker anyone? :P

Edit:

You might think this is not a big deal, but think of this that the engine is capable of running Dune 2, Dune 2000, Dune 2 The maker, and even C&C series. The only thing that stands in the way is time...

Screenshots:

The first screenshot is the latest version.

The second screenshot shows it is running 3 mods.

A third screenshot is at d2tm.duneii.com, showing 3 mods at my Mac.

post-64-12833239512855_thumb.jpg

post-64-12833239513692_thumb.jpg

I must say that trying to support Dune 2000 and C&C Series is quite ambitious.

The foundation of them is the same, but things like (structure placing) animations and environment height maps are available in them, which is quite a step up as I see it.

Good luck with the project; you know I'll be checking the progress from time to time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I realize that, but you still have to support things like height maps in some way, right? At least, if you want that to make a difference. You could also just forget about height advantages and only show the boundaries between low and high ground with graphic environment tiles.

Sorry about the double post, but where has the activity gone? This project, and forum shouldnt be allowed to become inactive by its members. I hope to see a working demo(demo 1?) of the new Shai Halud engine before the years end(that would be wonderful) so that i can in a way say "Look, this isn't dead, its metabolism has just slowed".

not in the near future. I've recently bought a house and got married. I've got a new job since a few months (well, its not really new them heh).

Aside from that, my house is a mess and it will take probably more then half a year to clean it up. Next to that, we both (my wife and I) are half-way through our studies. So any family expansion is an overkill for us.

Meaning, it will probably take 2 years at least before we can start with that project ;-)

By then i hope atleast one demo is out of SH! :D

I have recently updated my Fundynamic site (.com , http://www.fundynamic.com). I realized that , again , i was rewriting D2TM. Of course, it is for the better. But somehow i have that itchy feeling (no, i can't scratch it ;-) ) that i have to finish the project anyway. Even, considering the shape it is in.

So, i *think* i will finish the D2TM project, polish up code. Release a 'final' version. After that, Shai-Hulud is the next 'big project' i work on.

I just cant stand the fact i did not finish it yet.

(argh, and i even promised myself to redo Dunedit to be MUTCH prettier .... )