Starcraft 2

Khan

The whole concept of "gaining levels" for killing enemies is a weird exaggeration of the fact that you would normally gain experience and become a better fighter after killing more enemies. So it is realistic to gain a few additional hit points or weapon accuracy in exchange for kills. It is NOT realistic to gain extra damage (does your weapon fire different bullets after you used it for a while?) or new special abilities.

I think better accuracy may affect weapon damage as well, because aiming more precisely helps targeting more vulnerable areas, and thus deliver more damage. But generally, I agree that leveling up as in fantasy games is a bit off when applied to the sc-fi setting.

If I'm not mistaken, it's official that there won't be Warcraft III-like heroes, and the campaign heroes might have unique abilities, but they probably won't be anything like Warcraft III heroes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Starcraft II Battle Report 1 - Protoss vs terran

Video showing 2 players (skirmish) fighting each other. And they got 2 people doing play by play announcing.

It looks awesome.

Better off downloading the file instead of watching it in browser (560mb). 21 minutes.

Starcraft II Battle report 2 - zerg vs terran

A third battle report was leaked out, but not official yet.

• 10 months later...

My beta so far has been lack-luster. However, I fully admit that it is probably because I never played the first one to any extent. A friend of mine who also is beta-testing is absolutely in love (he did play the first). As far as I can tell however, it is your standard Blizzard RTS (in fact it is pretty much WCIII without heros, and without the ability to use the battlefield to your advantage).

I've got to get back in there and try it a few more times, but so far it looks like they may have simply adjusted/added a few units, improved the graphics and called it a day (3 years in the making).

My beta so far has been lack-luster. However, I fully admit that it is probably because I never played the first one to any extent. A friend of mine who also is beta-testing is absolutely in love (he did play the first). As far as I can tell however, it is your standard Blizzard RTS (in fact it is pretty much WCIII without heros, and without the ability to use the battlefield to your advantage).

Hey, I suggest you play the original, perhaps it'll help appreciate the second instalment more than "just yet another Blizzard RTS" ::)

People are passionate and loyal to Blizzard. I get it. I was quite happy with Dune2000 when it came out, despite the fact that in any objectivable sense it was... absolutely nothing special. So far as I can tell, all SC2 has is the original game with a 2 next to it.

So far as I can tell, all SC2 has is the original game with a 2 next to it.

I'm not sure about loyalty to Blizzard - I'm simply quite grateful to them for creating high-quality products. To me, Starcraft is one of the few games that got me really immersed into the story, and Starcraft 2 is the continuation of said story in the first place :) Honestly, I don't care if game mechanics remain the same, or differ very little from the first game, especially since I don't play online.

I haven't been following the development process closely, but as it seems, the developers also wish to retain as much elements of the original gameplay as possible. No idea if it's good or bad, but looking back at when Warcraft II came out, at first I found the change of gameplay style compared to Warcraft II quite unusual.

• 4 weeks later...

Played the beta a bit and the best thing I've found are anti-rush cliffs on at least the one map I've been playing. Haha zergs!

We'll see if the game is as scriptable/buildable for the best part of the original game: custom RPG levels with obstacles and mazes.

• 2 months later...

Well, it's out right now and it's great, about time they put it out. Rock N' Roll Racing, Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft...Blizzard never disappoints me. Although i think it's time they come out with a brand new game, they're rellying too much on their 90's hits. Other than that, GO BLIZZARD! cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...

There is one zerg mission I found very hard in Brood War. I think it was mission 8. "Kerrigan wants to UED-controlled Overmind dead, and your mission is to do just that."

That's two days after my birthday!

The original? I never did manage to complete those Zerg missions... Hmm...

nice comments i was about to start a thread on this issue , on what difficulty u guys were playing ?

feeling like a total newbie here with this game AI ,

it has put me to shame at brutal difficulty , no other game has manged to humiliate me like this .

its like playing 1vs2 against siolente and doompower .

there was that mission when those dominion trains start coming and the AI would start building bunkers

and attacking the base at the same time when you need to send your units to attack a train heavily

graded every 2 minutes .

what is so brutal about it , is not that i lost , which is something uncommon for me vs AI

but it was haw far i was from winning , it seems impossible which is a new feeling i get with AI

well i know i cant beat gunwounds and that is final . but the AI . it was quite a surprise for me .

ohh well i said this game has co-operative part in it and you can always call other players to help

but was the brutal difficulty designed for that ?

as we see here the answer was more cruel to me when i read this :

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/169348847?page=1

i mean it seems that the poster is having similar issues , but i got shocked when i saw players saying

its way to easy on brutal and that they wished if it was even harder .

i saw some dump ass abstract games before but not at this level at all .

i know what all gonna say : spicy you have always been a nob . hehe well ok what about you elite

dune warriors ? were do you stand at this topic ? i know i have beaten or was near to beat

most of you before .. spicy

The AI in Starcraft 2 cheats if its on Insane, just watch the recording or immediately end a game and wonder how they already have 5xs your resources. Anyways I enjoy the game and I enjoyed the original though I was never good at it. The one thing that I really hate is the region locking, I hate not being able to play people in other countries :/

yes but why do they do that ? and haw are those players on the other forum saying they wish if it was

even harder ?

i remember spending days on arraki defending my base in one single mission again the AI on hard

putting game speed on low and macro manege every units using the saves .

but there was always a chance to prevail , and i did .

i never saw the window so closed like this against the AI , but again maybe its just me .

i havent been feeling so well lately anyway and my mental stat is worse than low .

I really like this game. It is very balanced. And it has a very clear rock-paper-scissors kind of thing. Unit A is good against Unit B, but weak against unit C. And you never win with a mass army of only one specific unit type.

Its hard, I admit. But after a bit practicing, medium, hence hard AI is easy to beat. You just need to get the basics done. But, don't listen to me any further, i am just in the bronze league ;)

its good to see someone here that has beaten that game , and am not talking about hard AI difficulty ,

but about brutal , so if you share the same experience that would be on topic ,

bronze league or gold league , i fear no one . and i trust in a special save and load game tactics

to beat any AI usually . some times it takes lots of time and effort to find a weak point in the AI

or study its automated strategy . or even catch a bug in the program lol .

but what we see here in this game in missions like the trains mission and the gaze collect mission .

is 3 or 4 massive prebuilt AI bases that have unlimited resources and would defend it self from

any rushers , and prevent you from doing your timed objective and even rush your unbuilt base

with heavy units from the first minute . on the other side you have limited time with a train passing every

2 minutes , and you have less than few resources to start building and attack you objectives and

defend your base at the same time which is usually not more than 10 min .

i know star craft is a big title and have world ranked pro gamers world champions

and i can understand what those players can do , to be honest its the first time i play star craft

i dont claim any experiences with this game , but still , its an rts after all , and am only talking

about single player , i never really challenged anyone or something ,

i mean waw those guys maybe trillions of times stronger than that AI evil.gif