Starcraft 2

Khan

I'm sure lots of people want to play original starcraft again. I know I do, but I doubt I have time right now.

There is one zerg mission I found very hard in Brood War. I think it was mission 8. "Kerrigan wants to UED-controlled Overmind dead, and your mission is to do just that."

Hello,just got back on this forum.I must say that I was really glad when I saw that they FINALLY announced Sc II.It looks nice but so far..I don't see too many new features in it.Maybe I am wrong;),but I am sure of one thing though, SC II is going to be a lot better than C&C 3 TW

I think it's good Starcraft II is not overly brimming with all sorts of extra super never-seen-before new amazing features. Remember Warcraft 1 and 2? Warcraft II generally looked and played like Warcraft, but with better graphics, new units, more gameplay opportunities, various terrain etc. It was developing the existing game concept, not creating a totally new one. This is how I view Starcraft II. I believe that the fact alone that the developers are going to keep the original three playable races and will not add new ones (as playable) proves this point. Things may change though. On the other hand, I hope that the Xel'Naga and Hybrid storylines will be developed, maybe with an unplayable side (like the Burning Legion, heh). Also, it is known that an "Independent" unplayable side (with a couple of unique units and structures) was planned in Starcraft, but then it was dropped for some reason. Hope some neutral side like this will also appear in the second part ::)

I think it's good Starcraft II is not overly brimming with all sorts of extra super never-seen-before new amazing features. Remember Warcraft 1 and 2? Warcraft II generally looked and played like Warcraft, but with better graphics, new units, more gameplay opportunities, various terrain etc. It was developing the existing game concept, not creating a totally new one. This is how I view Starcraft II. I believe that the fact alone that the developers are going to keep the original three playable races and will not add new ones (as playable) proves this point. Things may change though. On the other hand, I hope that the Xel'Naga and Hybrid storylines will be developed, maybe with an unplayable side (like the Burning Legion, heh). Also, it is known that an "Independent" unplayable side (with a couple of unique units and structures) was planned in Starcraft, but then it was dropped for some reason. Hope some neutral side like this will also appear in the second part ::)

I recall that Blizzard considered making the UED a playable faction in Brood War, but that the beta testers didn't like it...so it got cut out of the release.

This should be good!

I think making UED an entirely new second Terran race would pose many difficulties for the developers, as they'd have to avoid duplicating units for Koprulu Terrans and UED Terrans on one hand, and balancing all four races on the other. Besides, adding UED as a separate playable side would probably also mean writing four campaigns for the add-on. With the Dominion constantly losing in Brood War, that would be difficult.

Time to replay starcraft and broodwar  8)

seriously, i just hope starcraft 2 story will be just as good as the first one... the graphics are looking good, not amazingly great, but good, and we all know that it'll take a long time until we can play this precious gem  :P

• 1 month later...

Is it just me, or do a lot of the gameplay concepts in Starcraft 2 seem stolen right out of C&C 3? For instance, infantry with jetpacks that can jump over cliffs, huge tripod walkers that shoot energy beams (okay, so maybe they both got that one from War of the Worlds), the one-of-a-kind Mothership unit (*ahem* the name is identical and it even LOOKS like the Scrin Mothership in C&C 3...) and so on and so forth.

We prefer to call that "inspiration" ;)

For your information, the SC2 lead designer is Dustin Browder, who worked on Red Alert 2 and Generals, if memory serves well.

Nevertheless I still see nothing wrong with mingling different elements borrowed from other games in the genre. After all, every RTS is technically a "Dune 2 clone" ;)

Visit Starcraft 2 website regularly for updates. Also there is plenty of discussion and information on BlizzForums and Starcraft Legacy.

After all, every RTS is technically a "Dune 2 clone" ;)

Slightly dunocentrist Flibble? :)

It's a rather wonderful world there, in this sense. I've read some developers telling that, among each other (competitors' dev companies), they would beta test their games.

Units with jetpacks was introduced in Red Alert 2.

Nope, the first game they were introduced in is IMHO Tiberian Sun. The GDI JumpJet Troopers are almost exactly like Allied Rocketeers, but JJ's don't float in the air all the time, they walk short distances and will use the jetpacks only to traverse obstacles or move to a remote spot.

• 2 weeks later...

okay nevermind.lol I saw the cinematic trailer and I must say, it was too cool. the gameplay looks decent, and the artwork of course kicks ass. Its like Frank Frazetta on a futuristic psychoactive. looks good! (still dont like Warcraft III, though)