Atreides Mission 8

comradejay

ATTACK PLAY

1. put wall around your wind trap and construction yard to prevent saboteurs from attacking your base

2.build refinery and then another wind trap  then  light factory, build 2 trikes and 3 quads, now build second refinery another wind trap and heavy factory  now build one harvester and wind trap then another heavy factory to speed-up making tanks, now build barracks and make some infantry, now build radar  three more wind traps ,one high tech factory and starport..

3. keep gaining money , make more  tanks and quads, later  build ix research center and then your palace,  purchase some carrials from starport , upgrade your  high tech factory,  now

when you got eoungh military  attack  HARKONNEN BASE FIRST, on right down corner,  destroy hark refinery and capture heavy factory + construction yard,  build 2 more wind traps then build hark palace,  put wall around captured construction yard. , keep making money and military, when you have about 30 tanks,  20 quads  40 infantry  wait for airstrike and death misile to get ready, before you strike ordos main base, use airstrike to destroy factory , death hand missile use for other bulding sush light factory or starport,  then use infantry on turrets supported with tanks,  after all military and defences are put of out action, bring engineers and capture whole base,  also  destroy defences on a mini base of ordos on top middle close to your base,  bring some engineers to capture light factory, barracks 2 wind traps and refinery 

DEFENSIVE PLAY

move down mcv and deploy, build two wind traps and build wall maround center of base (construction yard need to be fortified due to ordos saboteurs (when you wall up your base saboteurs are no longer threat to your construction yard, build two refineries and heavy factory, build 4 harvesters, now build 2 more wind traps and build refinery and heavy factory, keep making harvesters, build another wind trap and heavy factory, then next wind trap and refinery,  now start making tanks,  now build 2 wind traps and then three light factories and make quads, make barracks and outpotst, now build alot of wind traps (about 6) dont forget to make tanks and quads, now upgrade all your buldings and that construction yard -- upgrade it, now thenn build rocket turrrets around your base, you need alot of them also they eat alot of power!!

lets make situation clear , map looks like that

A- your base

O - ordos base

S - smuggler base

H - harkonnen base

<,v,^,> - entrances

S>########<A

#####<O>##<#

###########v

############

##########<H

^#^########v

O##^########

to your base there are two entrances for tanks and infantry and one for only infantry, put rocket turrets around entrance for infantry to block it and then  block second entrance for tanks&infantry to  your base with rocket turrets but leave small exit/entrance for your troops.....

now make some turrets in your main entrance,

build silos (some) to store harvested money,  you need money for later fighting,  you must defend all attacks from enemies, now  capture these  brown guys just capture silos and refinery (when harvester rturn spice to refinery capture it now to get harvester as BONUS)... do not destroy/capture two wind traps from smugglers! fortify new base with few turrets,  now try to overtake  small ordos base,  get alot of troopers and  six engineers,  troopers are good to take out quads raiders and turrets, now bring engineers and capture all these budings, build some turrets , sell captured  barracks and put wind trap here, now build from here quads ( you can sell refinery  to build heavy factory here to make troops far away from base)  now  you are going to attack harkonnen only destroy his refinery heavy factory and barracks and leave him with rest buldings alive,  after harkonnen is decommisioned you are now attacking ordos,  hunt for all his harvesters, after you take all them out and when ordos run out of cash,  destroy his turrets and destroy anything inside of base (capture ordos construction yard or palace for saboteur)

if harkonnen rebuild refinery, and they begin to rebuild base  HOLD ON, wait for him,  you can use harks to get free points,  cos all their attacks will die on your turrets, and you gain more points,  plaing this mission for time is pointless,  so taking out more enemy military  give you more points and when you end mission 9 you mmight get rank  "ruler of arrakis"  i once had "chief warlord" or something

• 4 weeks later...

Have you gotten past this level yet?  I've gone through it two or three times on normal level and just beaten it on hard.  I'm too lazy to look up what Shinoko's strategy was, I think it is what I followed (with some modifications).  Let me know if you're still looking for advice.  I won't get as detailed as the first response (which seems a little compicated), I'll just give some guidelines.

;D

Nice to see you back ShyGirl and helping with Dune2000 queries, mission 8 I thought was always a tough one, used to take me longer than 15 minutes!

What game are you playing most of the time these days?

When you were last here I was working on an EBFD mod - Guess what - its still in progress it has single refinerys like Dune2000 and three sides have trikes, quads and tanks.

Might tempt a few Dune2000 fans to try it out (if I ever finish it).

;D

What game are you playing most of the time these days?

Hi Jules

I play halflife online, thats the only one I play now ....  :(

;D

When you were last here I was working on an EBFD mod - Guess what - its still in progress it has single refinerys like Dune2000 and three sides have trikes, quads and tanks.

Might tempt a few Dune2000 fans to try it out (if I ever finish it).

Wow that certainly is a work in progress  :D

• 3 months later...

ive been tryin to beat this game with no trainer because it wont work anymore and im stuck on dis mission they killed me in 5 min all i think is do not waste time build as fast as u can and build as many units u can build because like the 5th wave on me i was wiped out my comat tanks were sitting ducks

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 years later...

I recently beat this mission on hard. Here's my strategy:

1. Build your base in the northwestern part of the starting area to minimise the distance to the Spice field.

2. Absorb the first two attacks. Then, rush the western Ordos support base and destroy their Barracks and Light Factory. Don't bother destroying anything else for now and rush back to your base to defend it.

3. If you don't have units left after the six initial scripted attacks, restart. You are going to lose in the long run.

4. Get two Spice Refineries right at the beginning, and a third Harvester after you get your arms factory.

5. Then, either build Combat Tanks or tech up for Rocket Turrets. I recommend vehicles backed up with a Repair Pad. However, retreat whenever Deviators show up.

6. Against the Saboteur, either build a cluster of Turrets, a wall, have a task force ready (the Saboteur is easily crushed), or place Wind Traps south of your important buildings.

7. After that, get eight or more Harvesters and build and army of Combat Tanks and Missile Tanks. Got for the Harkonnen first, then for the Ordos main base. Fremen can infiltrate the Ordos main base via a ramp in the south and destroy their Construction Yard.

Thanks @TaxOwlbear. I was only on normal but it's been a while since I played so I forgot this level needed a specific approach. 

With the idea of setting up the base right from the start, I replayed this level last night and smashed it.

Basically getting the walls and rocket turrets in the right places, then taking over the smugglers camp, then harvester hunting while building up my forces. I took over the small ordos base to the north quite late and just kept building and building tanks etc while defending my base. By the end my base was completely full and I could overrun the Harkonnen base and main Ordos base just with those. It eas actually kind of awesome!  I have never had that many tanks, raiders and trikes etc before.

On 7/14/2017 at 0:45 AM, perthguv said:

With the idea of setting up the base right from the start, I replayed this level last night and smashed it.

Basically getting the walls and rocket turrets in the right places, then taking over the smugglers camp, then harvester hunting while building up my forces. I took over the small ordos base to the north quite late and just kept building and building tanks etc while defending my base. By the end my base was completely full and I could overrun the Harkonnen base and main Ordos base just with those. It eas actually kind of awesome!  I have never had that many tanks, raiders and trikes etc before.

Aye. As long as you have a solid economy, you can keep pumping out units. Don't forget that you can also boost the speed of your unit production by building multiple factories. You won't be able to boost the speed any more after three conyards / barracks / light factories / heavy factories / etc, so you only need three of each to maximize your production. As long as you have enough of an economy to account for the faster build speed (so more money being spent faster), you'll be a-okay.

If you're interested in trying more harassment-focused strategies, and want to see some examples, I recently posted some raw footage to one of Cm's threads. Less than halfway down the first page here:
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27542-release-mercenary-campaign-the-origin-of-the-mercenaries/

Or, I've copied the contents of the spoiler here (with some added notes since Cm is more familiar with my work than you are!):

Spoiler

This run was done on Hard difficulty, on S3V2 hard mode (Harkonnen and Atreides are both enemies), on fastest speed in about twenty-four minutes real time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vozkMyFkEM

There is a restart at the beginning because when I start a new game, I cannot start recording right away. I start recording, then hit restart in order to get the entire game in one clip. This will be removed in post-production. Because it's raw footage, I also haven't inserted any commentary, so I'll list some highlights here:

00:07 - I go scouting. Two raiders, two unit groups, and they go as far as I can take them. I use the minimap to scout more effectively.
01:20 - Scouts come together and I start patrolling around to uncover the last bits I feel safe uncovering, and to pick off the occasional enemy unit.
01:55 - First Atreides attack. Durant is defensive on this map, so he tends to hang around the base and let you take care of everything else.
02:08 - Pick off a trooper, see a bunch more coming down. I'll let them aggro onto Durant's units before I swarm 'em.
03:35 - I get some grenadiers behind the turret. Grenadiers make excellent support units alongside tanks or turrets! Quads too, on occasion. Addendum for perthguv: While grenadiers aren't in the default D2k game's campaign, they are part of the mod my smugglers campaign is designed around!
04:35 - My first attack. There're only about two minutes in real time before the Harkonnen arrive to kick my butt, so I've got to make this count.
05:10 - I proceed on to the enemy proxy base after making it across midfield. I try to counter the Atreides response appropriately - raiders chew up infantry, troopers blow up quads - and I manage to raze the whole base.
06:20 - Harkonnen forces have arrived. They have quite a lot of units, including tanks, and I don't want any of that right now. I'm gonna keep hitting the Atreides, when I get the chance. Addendum for perthguv: If I'd have harvested 5,000 Solaris before they arrived, they would have been my ally. This is the "in-game hard mode," extra difficulty added thanks to player choice rather than selecting "hard" from the main menu difficulty setting list.

I continue to build up for the next few minutes. I upgrade my Light Factory, get maximum production speed for all military facilities, secure Durant's other turrets with more grenadiers, and occasionally help fend off Atreides or Harkonnen forces. I don't want any of the turrets to go down, or defense will be significantly harder. Addendum for perthguv: This is the few minutes of recovery I mention in the paragraph after this spoiler. A relatively long time, but quite needed and very much worth it!

09:20 - It's about that time to move out again. I secure the perimeter of my base real quick, then head on over to bother the Atreides some more.
11:00 - I run into turrets in front of the main Atreides base, but it's nothing the troopers I've amassed can't handle.
12:00 - I've breached the base perimeter, and now I need to take out as many targets as possible. Like before, I cover my heavy-hitting infantry with quick, swarming light vehicles while they do their job. Infantry with my mod will patch themselves up over time if you allow them to rest, but I had no time for a hit and run, so I kept going 'til I couldn't anymore. It's a pity I didn't take down any of their refineries, but at least I managed to take out two barracks, two light factories, a repair pad, and their construction yard!
12:45 - Those quads actually manage to take out a refinery. Nevertheless, I return my focus to my base so I can build up against the Harkonnen.
13:48 - The Harkonnen set out to attack me. Grenadiers, troopers, and a swarm of raiders do the trick.
14:13 - Now it's my turn. They have a lot of stuff at their base, but I stunt their production by destroying the barracks and light factory right away.
15:25 - And once again. I destroy the barracks they rebuilt along with a turret and their heavy factory, but the debris kills my infantry. Really bad RNG there. Since I didn't have any infantry to support, I sent the light vehicles at economical targets. I take down a silo and one harvester.
16:35 - Third time's the charm. I have less units, but they're all armed with rockets, minus a few light infantry mixed in with the troopers. I use my quads to try and block the harvester from running over my troopers, but it doesn't work. Despite that, I still take out both their refineries!
17:25 - Alright, last one. I send a bunch of units out to try and finish off the Harkonnen.
17:45 - Unfortunately, they berserk and sell all of their structures. They then send everything they've got at me or the Atreides. I managed to get my light vehicles away, but my infantry were doomed. With help from Durant and a little bit of Atreides, I manage to fend off their final attack from the north base entrance. This is one of those moments you see the power of grenadiers and think, "Damn. Why don't I use these guys more often?"
18:30 - Base defended. Now it's time to finish the Atreides, just as soon as I secure the perimeter and take out the last Harkonnen unit.
19:35 - Back to the Atreides base again. The Atreides still have some functional barracks somewhere in their base, so they send plenty of light infantry, troopers, and grenadiers my way. I blow through the concrete wall with my troopers and take out some of their power while my raiders cover their asses, but my forces are eventually whittled down. I manage to take out four wind traps, two heavy factories, and a refinery, but that stupid harvester ran right over my troopers and their infantry finished my raiders.
21:20 - Oh, well. I've got a lot more waiting back at base, so I get ready to move 'em out again.
22:05 - Their last production structures seem to be near those infantry-only cliff walls. I try to get a good surround with the raiders around the barracks while I use my troopers to take out the turret. It works out.
22:30 - That's all their production. Now to just finish off the rest of their stuff.
23:35 - Was that all their harvesters? Seems it was since they get a new one. That only happens when they're all out, after all.
24:00 - Victory.

If you're interested in checking this map out for yourself, or the rest of the smugglers campaign for that matter, you can find a link in this thread ^^
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27508-release-smugglers-campaign/

The map is S3V2 in my smugglers campaign. Aside from the few minutes of recovery after taking out the Atreides proxy base, I was pretty much always out with a force picking apart their bases. Like I said, it's raw footage, so the briefing isn't there, there's no music, you know. However, the full level is there! Fastest speed + menu selection hard mode + in-game hard mode (for S3V2, that's no alliance with the Harkonnen. They are as much my enemy as the Atreides)! I also leave some time-stamped commentary under the spoiler where the link is located, in case that's helpful at all.

Having a lot of units is fun. :D Part of a great harassment-focused strategy is ensuring that your trade-offs play out in your favor. If you go out harvester hunting, don't take out only one while losing three combat tanks, for instance. Know when to pull the remainder of your units back to base, if possible, 'cause if you keep 'em out there, they're just gonna die. If you pull them back when you don't have a good unit composition or you lack numbers or something, and then send the remainder of your last strike force out with all the new stuff you pumped out of your production structures, you'll always come back stronger! And, as you can see, that's bad news for your enemy when they have to fend off constant attacks slowly ramping up in difficulty. In my opinion, it gets even more fun when you get a repair pad. All the tanks that make it home come back at full strength, with some more friends fresh out of the heavy factories. Harkonnen and Imperial tanks especially, since they're so easy to keep alive!