Fav Harkonnen/Atreides needed

Gunseng_Harkonnen

I would like to know which Harkonnen is your favorite. I already made such poll between my fellow Polish duners and I will be more than happy if you answer this as well. I need this this to my Dune website. I will do the same with Atreides in another thread to make things clear.

So please write down your favorite Harkonnen and you will gain a cookie.

I would like to know which Atreides is your favorite. I already made such poll between my fellow Polish duners and I will be more than happy if you answer this as well. I need this this to my Dune website. I will do the same with Harkonnen in another thread to make things clear.

So please write down your favorite Atreides and you will gain a cookie.

Thought I'd merge the thread. Easier to reply to.

1. Who's your favourite Harkonnen

2. Who's your favourite Atreides.

Been so long since I read the books

1. I dunno. I thought I had one but it hasn't come to mind yet.

2. Duncan. He is in most of the books, so it is easy to know him, and the torture he must go through being resurrected hundreds of times.

Leto II God emperor. I liked his philosphical side. Made me think a lot. (so I guess I pick Leto II, or III depending on how you count names)

2. Duncan. He is in most of the books, so it is easy to know him, and the torture he must go through being resurrected hundreds of times.

Leto II God emperor. I liked his philosphical side. Made me think a lot. (so I guess I pick Leto II, or III depending on how you count names)

So is it Leto or Duncan? :P

1. Piter. Definately Piter. Even if he isn't really a Harkonnen, and just in his employ.

2. This may sound strange, but the Atreides trooper that was in the arena with Feyd. For me, he exemplified the mindset that was engrained into the Atreides military. Even if he was a pawn (and knew it) he was still a no bullshit-fight till you drop and do whatever damage you can with what you're given fellow. Thufir would be in second; what a galient fellow.

Atreides: somewhat predictably, Paul.

Harkonnen: again somewhat predictably, the Baron. A lot of the other characters in Dune got their cunning from rigid training (mentats or Bene Gesserit), but the Baron is a political animal steeled by experience and personal observation.

Atreides: Gurney Halleck. Such a nice friend for the atreides though he suspected jessica.

Harkonnen: Feyd Rautha. Slick, cunning killer. I liked it when he was ordered to kill all the women in the pleasure/slave (cant quite remember where it was) chambers,

I finally figured out how to put it right without violating the "1 guy per side" rule:

Harkonnen: Piter DeVries

Atreides: Vladimir "Grampa Atreides" Harkonnen :D

But still I'd also add Leto II to the Atreides list. And Miles Teg. And Darwi Odrade, too :P

I finally figured out how to put it right without violating the "1 guy per side" rule:

Harkonnen: Piter DeVries

Atreides: Vladimir "Grampa Atreides" Harkonnen :D

But still I'd also add Leto II to the Atreides list. And Miles Teg. And Darwi Odrade, too :P

Clever :)

Keeping this in mind, my favourite Harkonnen is Paul and my favourite Atreides LetoII.

Harkonnen: Iakin Nefud... Good efficient soldier who likes Semuta

Atreides: Alia... She should have been the "God Empress"

Personally I never like Paul Muadib or Leto II, they were 'holier than thou' and just plain preachy... Going around tellin everyone they met "I have the prescience" "I can see the future" "Its such a burden" "You can't possibly understand me" They remind me of emo kids...

Its lucky Herbert makes sch good villians or I mightnt like the books... I keep re-reading them hoping this time the Baron or Alia will 'win' :D

It's true that the lines blur between the two factions, what with the Baron being Paul's grandfather and all, and thus the ancestor of every following Atreides, from Moneo to Odrade. Likewise characters such as Piter and Thufir tend to count as their respective factions, despite not being genetically related to the family in question.

Harkonnen: The Baron. A little predictable perhaps, but he exemplifies all of the Harkonnen qualities that I admire. Cunning, patience, ambition, manipulation. But he has his flaws as well, indulgence perhaps being the first. Even death didn't halt his influence. A mind powerful enough to shut out the voices for Alia, later came close to taking her over completely. Incomparably smarter than Rabban, more restrained than Feyd, lacking Piter's psychosis, the Baron has it all really.

Atreides: There are a lot of references to Atreides later on, Odrade and Teg, to a lesser extent Lucilla and Bellonda, etc. And I like the Bene Gesserit. However, I don't think they strictly count as Atreides. Atreides is not just genetics, it's name and family and mindset. Jessica. A traitor to the faction that I hold dearest, but still my favourite Atreides. How ironic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hate to admit this...I really do.  Y'see...I don't like the prequels but my favorite Harkonnen comes from the prequels...Xavier. I really like that character.  Sure I love the Baron, Feyd, and Piter but Xavier is just do damn cool.

Atreides...can't decide between Leto II or Miles Teg. I like them for different reasons but i like them equally.  If you have to have just one of them go with Teg...just because he hasn't gotten a lot of votes yet and I feel bad for him.  But hell...I love all of the Atreides. Duke Leto, Paul, Odrade, etc.  I even liked Agamemnon.  I like him in the same way that I like Gene Simmons.  They're both intelligent, articulate, and accomplished and they're both magnificent bastards of the highest order.  :)