Movies other than Dune

Acriku

Just saw Inception and wow, it's an amazing film. I think the community here would appreciate the plots within plots within plots idea!

I think you know how it's gonna end from just in the first dream. When Ariadne and Cobb have a private chat. Between that and the end I couldn't help thinking myself your just watching a guy dream (how exiting can this be) and one of the best film concepts in a long time.

In the end it was just over two hours and I enjoyed ever minute of it.

In the end they went from 3 to four deep and you still didn't know who's dream you where in and for how long.

Watched Inception yesterday. The film is nice, although I find it far less gripping than The Dark Knight. Later into the story it had a computer game-like feel of sorts, putting the action forward over dramatic elements. The father-son relationship of the Fishers was more impressive in my opinion than the story of DiCaprio's character and his wife, and Cillian Murphy's performance is notably good. I also liked the references to Dark City. All in all, I'd say the film stands out on the contemporary cinematographic scene, but is nothing too special by more general standards.

I was expecting a love story sub-plot to develop between Ariadne and Arthur.

That would be superfluous to the story IMO. The humorous kiss scene ("They're still looking at us!" - "Yeah, it's worth a shot.") was enough ;D BTW, I didn't realize the guy who played Arthur is Tommy from 3rd rock from the Sun. I spent the entire film wondering where I could have seen him before :)

That would be superfluous to the story IMO. The humorous kiss scene ("They're still looking at us!" - "Yeah, it's worth a shot.") was enough ;D BTW, I didn't realize the guy who played Arthur is Tommy from 3rd rock from the Sun. I spent the entire film wondering where I could have seen him before :)

We all cracked up on that one haha. He's grown up so much it's crazy!

After hearing all the hype and discovering that several of the showings had been sold out, my expectations were quite high.  Inevitably, I felt a little let down by the movie, though it was fairly entertaining. The fall from the bridge sequence was particularly well done.  Got quite the chuckle off the kiss bit.  I wouldn't rate the movie as  a 'Must see!' But rather as a 'Probably Should See'.

I was rather surprised to learn that Nolan did the two Batman films as a kind of "practice" to gain experience for making Inception, because I personally find the new Batman films more impressive than Inception. The film has a decent amount of fridge logic, and I think it was perfectly possible to make a more interesting study of dreams, although at the cost of reducing the action side of the plot.

I read somewhere that jj abrams publically apologized for the lense flare. Really looking forward to the ST sequel :)

J.J. Abrams Admits Star Trek Lens Flares Are "Ridiculous"

Spoilers for star trek film

[hide]So with that important planet gone (not going to spoil it here in case someone hasn't seen it), wouldn't that negatively impact the federation in the future? I would have thought this planet would be very important for the federation (I would think they would have good manufacturing sector etc). They say 6 billion people. Maybe not able to defeat the borg etc? I guess alternate timeline raises a lot of questions. And they did it so they can do whatever they want in future films. Also I don't think they ever explained why Spock was late getting to the planet in future to save it. And did the bad guy ship say they were the last of them? I would have thought there would be tons of ships still around in space even though their solar system wiped out. In future I would assume they have lots of colonies like most factions do.[/hide]

Regarding Andrew's post: I'm not too worried about spoilers, honestly, because I suspect that most people who care have seen it by now. This is an international board, though, so it's possible (due to differing release dates etc.) that some hardcore fans have simply not had a chance to see it. In terms of a review, this film is f'ing incredible, and quite possibly the very thing that will save the ST franchise. The original films (and TV series, in their way) stand on their own, but this is an excellent, sexy, action-packed introduction to the characters for anyone who has been living in a scifi cave for the past 60 years (which, again, I doubt there are many here that are not familiar with ST). If you are a fan (as am I) I will almost guarantee a pleasant experience. Long story short; flippin' watch it!

Ok, now to spoilers:

[hide]I've always thought of the next film in terms of moving on with the classic story; i.e., Khan, Mirror Mirror, the situation with the pilot episode of TOS, etc. etc. On the other hand, knowing JJ Abrams, we could possibly be looking at something really out there. I would love to see something new; I'm kind of tired of the Borg, borg, borg (I love the Borg, really, but I think it's time to move on, people :) ) and the Andorians (have you seen any Enterprise? I liked certain aspects of it, but if I see another blue antenna, I think my brain might explode). The "baddies" in this were clearly in the tradition of previous ST movie baddies, so I'm really excited for something new. It's a great idea to incorporate the destruction of that one planet into the storyline for the sequel, but I agree that in some ways it's not going to alter certain types of outcomes. The race involved will forever changed (culturally speaking, the planet had incredible meaning to this race) but they will survive. I actually wonder what it will do to relations between this race and their cousins.[/hide]

[hide]I actually wonder what it will do to relations between this race and their cousins.[/hide]

[hide]

It would be cool if they actually got along better.

Assuming only 10,000 left, depending on breeding patterns, how many would there be in ST:TNG era? Double or Triple? Or, I guess they live to be real old, so anyone 20 years or younger should still be alive 140 years into future.

Voyager killed the borg. Made them look like sissies. An enemy they should look into are the ones from ST:TNG: Conspiracy (episode) [/hide]

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Rewatching Rosemary's Baby and realizing that it is pro-choice. Essentially, Rosemary has all of her personal rights taken from her by a misogynistic husband and a group of older (presumably conservative) people in the name of religion. She is raped, mistreated, and ignored for the sake of her potential as a baby incubator. Rosemary's worth has nothing to do with who she is, but what she is.