What would it take to start my own game company apart from money?

unit-akira

I'm just wondering what would it take to start my own game company? yes i know money money but what Else... OK i studied film and TV production and my computer skills aren't up there, but i would honestly like to get together a bunch of people and try and develop games. From a film making point of view, games are the next best thing to film making, because as i see it you take the person watching and put them in the middle of the whole thing. So I'm asking the dumb quesion because i want to know and check out if it is worth trying to set up something .

Oh by the way , one of the main reason's for myself asking this, is because if they wont develop a new dune game or give new support for emp etc, then why not try and put one together and start a new career as well.So i would be truly thankful for any suggestions idea's and such.

hmm, to make your own game company you would need some people who could program well, some good graphic artists and some sound engineers, as well as an idea.  If you know some people who can do those things, ask them to help, get an idea for a game, and make it.

If you don't know anybody who could program, make graphics or sound, then you will need to find people who could do those things, thats the hard part.

Making a Dune game would be very hard, and since EA owns the licence then you could get sued if you sold the game, so you would need money.

You could make a game yourself, but that would be very diffucult, as you would need to do all of the above by yourself, but if you want to try www.gamemaker.nl

- Vidi

i think a young and active guy like you should look for a good job in this new house of fun

industry..

being alone and all.. you need more than money to make games..and after all haw much money can you effort??? lol  ea have billions of dollars haw can you make games and sell when ea are making

more and more games each day??? u cant make competition with big games companyes..

your not even a moder.. talented moders are makes great things and they still cant sell anything..

if u are good in this field  and u live in the west.. pack ure papers and apply for a good job

at a big game company and who knows maybe in 10 Years you will climb up the ladder..

i think that's the way to go... good luck

Well I'm in china at the moment and there is plenty of cheap talent around (yeah duel meaning i know i know) so I'm checking into things and as for EA dash THEM!! There are many ways around a copyright, but i not trying to compete with them i just see gaming as a new level of film making in a way, and just want to create something and there are a few examples around of small game makers putting out a great game that yes gets brought up by the bigger companies and thus becoming theirs.And all EA wants are slaves anyway why u think they just opened up in Shanghai china? to pay $4 BUCKS p.h to its Chinese employees and bring in a few Europeans and pay them the big dollars for running the Chinese office , yeah i know i said cheap talent too but I'm not posting huge profits and aim to pay who ever i have to when it comes to it a fair deal..away.....thanks for the input!! :) i have a few idea's that I'm chipping away at... but if there was another dune game what do people want in it ? what style RTS ? or a change ? oh yeah i think i just read a posting with the same question so i better go read that.. but i welcome any idea's I'm brainstorming it .... i guess kind of like guerrilla game making

I'll make a beautiful list for you.

- Talent, Its all you need, It covers every category from Concept, to marketing.

(I do believe time is a big factor too, less talent more time)

You have so many major competitor's, that you would have a hard time starting a company from scratch these days.

well i didn't mean ea by the name.. i mean big games companyes in general is fightting hard these

dayes to sell.. id software and sierra and blizzard and ubisoft and a lot a lot more...

some are even making games for free man like here  http://www.warrock.net/index.php

but still maybe in the far east there is chances. i know haw smart peapol u are and u are

able to invade the world with ure products.. so well done china.. and i think u may know more

than me in that case...

and i have more ideas for you :

why u want to make big and complicated games the ones like movies?? why don't u try some

smaller games like here  http://www.gamehouse.com/

they make new games every day (10 mb a game) and sell it for 20$

look u want to make 5 gig  games and sell them for 30$ ?

maybe u can sell small games to them or make ure own downloading web...

as for dune , what they told u is right.. EA have copy rights for it and they wont

let u use it...