The Old Timers' Notice Board

Edric O

• 1 month later...

Hey this is exatreides checking in. Been coming here since like 1999! But for whatever reason it's not letting me login or reset my password.

Well, I'm doing well. Have my own house, car, work as a nurse and am finally out of the military. Thought I'd pop in and see how all the old pals were doing.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I don''t know if I qualify as an "old timer" as per the 100 posts, but I am definitely an old timer at 86 years.

Up until today, Aug 19, 2019, I didn't know that this tread existed, and considering that dates go back to 2005, I am a little short on keep up with the "news" category.   My apology.

During what ever time duration you want to put me, I have basically playing a considerable number of the RTII  scenarios for a number of months, after playing a considerable number of RT3 prior.

However, I have been absorbed with actual "model railroading" in both the N and G scales.  Spending some time up upgrading my N-scale model train display.   Then in some preparation of getting some progress in the determination of building platforms, as well as "home made" roadbeds, with aluminum strips for the track, to withstand weather elemints of the out of door eventual display. 

All these endeavors and agendas keep my busy, and just don't seem to have an adequate amount of time to get involved for any amount of time for all.  

But they are all hobbies, but am considering now, to give a little more time in the Terminal, to see what "has and will" happen.   LOL

• 1 month later...

Just doing a small check in. Started posting here as a child in the year 2002 - was roughly 8 years old. Played E:BFD mostly. 27 years old now and a high school teacher. Still love playing video games as well. Glad to still see lots of familiar names around. Think the last time I postd in this thread was the year 2012 or something. 

• 5 months later...

*dusts off and removes cobwebs from self*

How... how long was I out? Four years?? Wow. I can't believe it has really been that long. But the forum time stamps do not lie. My last post before this one was in January 2016. And to think, my first post that month said this:

On 1/15/2016 at 3:47 PM, Edric O said:

So... hello again, everyone. I've been gone for over half a year (looking back, it appears my most recent post before today was in May 2015). I honestly don't know how that happened, but I don't intend to let it happen again.

...well, so much for not letting it happen again. 🙁 Half a year seemed like a long time to be away back then, and now here I am, four years and two months later, after by far the longest hiatus since I joined FED2k in April 2000. But at least I have returned in time for my 20 year anniversary! Expect one or two Alexandre Dumas references when the day comes. "Vingt ans après", indeed.

One thing that has not changed, however, is the emotional connection I feel towards my dear FED2k. Yes, I've been away four years, but I kept thinking of this site and this forum, regularly wanting to come back... and regularly putting it off. As I said in 2016:

On 1/15/2016 at 3:47 PM, Edric O said:

On this day I always get nostalgic and think of home. And, you see, after all these years, no matter how long I may be away, I still think of Fed2k as my home on the internet.

So I am back home again. This time because... because it's the end of the world as we knew it, so what better time to seek out old friends.

21 minutes ago, Edric O said:

So... who is still here? Does this fancy new UI come with a way to ping people? Hmmm... I guess I need to poke around.

Nice to see you Edric O.

Still here, where else can we go with this lock-down....

Ya, we are at 5 cases so far. but there is little testing. Like most provinces they only test those that traveled or are in hospital. Which is kinda useless because if in hospital might as well assume that is the cause, and if traveled might as well assume they have it. No community spread testing means it will spread easy.

I'm basically assuming that I have it and everyone else has it. That's the only way to survive.

Governments were too slow to do anything. Hearing that trump is just gonna let it spread and kill everyone so that they can get economy back on track faster could cause problems for Canada.

Trudeau just announced quarantine act is enacted. A bit late but ok.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html

Alberta has some pretty good stats on cases here:
https://covid19stats.alberta.ca/

Our community cases are still fairly stable which is promising but I think we'll need at least another week before knowing how well it is working. Alberta has tested about 36,000 people while Canada as a whole has tested about 160,000. That is 22% of the tests for a province with 11% of the population of Canada. So in that sense we're doing pretty good here.

This is a good website with up-to-date data for every country (and provincial-level data for some countries, including the US and Canada):

https://covidly.com

The basic summary is: Covid-19 is spreading exponentially worldwide, with confirmed cases increasing by a factor of 10 every two weeks or so. Countries that have enacted very strict lockdown measures have managed to get it under control (e.g. China and now Italy), and also countries with very extensive testing and isolation of carriers have managed to get it under control (e.g. South Korea). But in countries that are neither locked down nor testing everyone, it's spreading like wildfire.

Hello, exatreides here.

Things are surprisingly slow being a nurse where I am now. I don't work in hospitals, so I've been doing phone visits for the elderly to keep them from going out for a docs office in chicago.  This is frustrating because I have nine disaster deployments nationally and internationally including 6 months in Liberia treating Ebola patients. So working on going to New York city to help out for a couple weeks. Even though my hospital skills are quite weak, my girlfriend and I just practiced IV's on each other and I still got the fundamentals.  Also, running for state house here in Indiana, and well have pretty much suspended active campaigning during all of this, which is fine since my race is rather don quixote in the first place, my opponent won with nearly 70% of the vote last election. He was running unopposed this time, so I decided to offer some resistance, even if it is token at best.

I'm looking forward to posting here more, I miss everyone and the dune community we had for years. I'm hoping that we can get some new life in the forums and website with the new movie coming out. Any hope of seeing Dune news posted to just www.dune2k.com?

Edited by exatreide

Wow, so many old friends! It's great to see you again, @Dunenewt, @Vanguard3000, @Caid Ivik and @rebelliousplatypus (I hope you don't mind if I still call you exatreides).

Now I'm curious: What brought you all here at the same time? Did all of us just literally have the same idea to come back here at the same time after several years, or were you already checking the Fed2k forum regularly but without posting?

Also, according to my profile, today marks precisely 20 years since I registered my account here. And to think, I once thought that being around for seven years made me an "old timer"...

• Like 1

@rebelliousplatypus, that's some serious Doctors Without Borders courage right there, deliberately wanting to go help in the place worst affected by the virus. I salute you! If you do go, please stay safe. You're going to have to come back sooner or later, as the pandemic is just getting started and I'm sure every place will be hit hard at some point (especially if the US federal government and several states insist on taking the current levels of moderate success as a reason to lift restrictions, which will inevitably cause a second wave of outbreaks).

I also hope that the new Dune movie will cause renewed interest in all things Dune, and maybe even bring back activity here. Perhaps there could even be - dare we hope? - a new Dune game.

@Caid Ivik! It's been so long! Remember our old political debates back in 2003-2004? They were an important part of my formative years, in terms of my political thinking and ideology. I am still very much a communist, though I think my views are more complex and nuanced now than they were back then.

I haven't really done anything politically in real life for the past 10 years, but we're heading into a new global depression now, and it will be the biggest one since the Great Depression of the 1930s. A lot of things will change. I'm starting to think of ways to get involved...

@Dunenewt, old friend! I remember our meeting in 2008 very fondly. In fact, you and Khan (and @nemafakei, on a separate occasion) were the only online friends that I ever met in real life. After all these years and after making many other friends on many other websites, I still never met any of them IRL. So getting together with you guys was something special.

Does it feel like a lifetime ago? I'm not sure... In some ways it does, in other ways it feels like yesterday. When we met, I had a girlfriend - she is now my wife. The year after we met, I started grad school... and I'm only just finishing it now, this summer. So a lot of things in my life have stayed the same, or almost the same, since around the time we met. Perhaps for this reason it doesn't feel like it was so long ago.

When this pandemic is over, we need to arrange another Fed2k meet-up. This reminds me, I should try to contact Nema. I last met up with him in 2012, also in London.

Do you remember the "Dune Revolution" in which we tried to bring back activity to the forum by posting a lot, in the hope this would encourage others to post more as well? If I remember correctly, it was successful - for a few months. Maybe we should try again. ;)

On 4/17/2020 at 10:37 AM, Edric O said:

To speak for myself, I was checking the forum maybe even once per year. It's always nice to see the site still running, and I'm happy to see you online too. Few days ago we were wondering with Egeides, with whom I am more often in contact, what was going around because of the movie. Previous years there wasn't much to speak about (concerning Dune, of course), only the books by Herbert's son, which made my heart ache (Tolkien's did have at least some skill in philology)... 

Actually I was searching for you here a few years ago! I planned a course on Frankfurt School (it seems to me the more you argue with communists, the more Marxist you become) here in Vienna, but I was caught by another project. Now I'm working on Church Slavonic lives of desert saints... not many worms there, but their prana-bindu is on a high level.

Btw where do you live now? With the UK leaving us, am I the only one left on the old continent?