The Old Timers' Notice Board

Edric O

Newt! Good to see you! How is life treating you these days? If you've just reinstalled Emperor, maybe we could play online sometime. A few weeks ago we were trying to set up a weekend for us to all be online at once and play Emperor, but it didn't work out.

Life is alright, I've just got internet installed at my new house and have been playing around with modding Emperor a bit after seeing what people have been doing since I last tried modding myself.

Definitely up for a few online games again.

• 1 year later...

I imagine it would be equal parts tragic and hilarious to go trudging through PRP, looking for posts I made around that time.  Given my woefully inadequate record-keeping skills, there's a very high possibility that FED2k is the closest thing I have to a diary.  What did I think all those years ago?  How many flame-wars did I get in with Gunwounds over it all?

Oh, and Spectral, I admit: the DS was a lot better than the PSP in the end. :)

Oh, you had to bring that up :blush:

I'm still embarassed over it, it was pure fanboy behavior, though at least I can say I was young and foolish.*

More regretful was my stance in homosexuality debates. It was not dishonest, I had embraced the whole concept of 'keeping it private', not flaunting it. Gunwounds arguments' on it being a gradual choice echoed true based on my own anecdotal observations. I had - and still have - a taste for the more traditional relationships between genders, so i.e. when I played DAII, I genuinely was not excited about the possibility of a male Hawke-Anders couple. And this was a recent as 2011, the time of the Erasomnius debacle.

One thing I suppose happened is that I gradually lost respect for the religious folk, who I used to regard as 'at least having principles' but have all too often found to be the ones lacking integrity. And I have lost sympathy for the 'keep it private' view, particularly since it is often touted by people who will also condone/justify violence, conversion therapy, etc.

*That said, in 10 years of having a DS and then a DSi, I have yet to lose a stylus :P

I like to read through old PRP threads. Maybe it's vain, but I enjoy seeing a well crafted argument, even if it's long abandoned. Though there is a limit. If I go back far enough... I don't like what I see.

The ideas are much the same but the presentation is dreadful.

I can't say I see many parallels to be drawn between daesh and the fremen, save in terms of fanaticism.

(M!HAnders is my OTP :| )

• Upvote 1

First Saddam, then the Arab Spring; many totalitarian regimes were toppled in recent years and in the case of Assad, still actively fought against. Then the new governments - or aspiring ones, in the case of Syrian rebels - commit even more atrocious persecutions. Of course, this involves more than just Arabs. One parallel is to the Fremen overthrowing the Harkonnen, then conquering the Empire. As far as I remember, though Frank Herbert did not explicitly describe genocides, he referred to such, and the oppressed->oppressors theme was strong in Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.

As for the daesh themselves, their propaganda certainly includes apocalyptic scenarios that tell about the coming of the Mahdi. It is not completely analogous, as the Fremen designated a living person as their messiah (plus the fact it is fiction), however the problematic nature of the prophesy still applies.

(F!HAndersFenris ^.^)

• 4 weeks later...

So... hello again, everyone. I've been gone for over half a year (looking back, it appears my most recent post before today was in May 2015). I honestly don't know how that happened, but I don't intend to let it happen again.

I came back today because it's my birthday - and also Fed2k's birthday - and on this day I always get nostalgic and think of home. And, you see, after all these years, no matter how long I may be away, I still think of Fed2k as my home on the internet.

Or, to quote a line once said by a brilliant actor we lost too soon:

"After all this time?"

"Always."

• Upvote 1

I do have a Twitter account but I can't remember the last time I used it... I don't like being followed. :)

oh :blush:

Thanks though. Never was a fan of social media either, but it looks like they can be useful nowadays, to be informed, to promote the things one considers worthy and so on.

You have doubtlessly insights into the industry that would be great to learn about.

• 4 months later...