The Old Timers' Notice Board

Edric O

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I count as an old Timer, five and a bit years does seem a long time thinking back. But I've always been more of a lurker so you guys might not remember me but I remember all of you...

[dum dum dum ominous tones]

Lurker for a couple of years before becoming a member at this forum and remember the days when you couldn't keep up with all the various threads.

Still check in virtually everyday (sad i know)but was never really a massive poster, more an amused reader.  :D

My God your all still here :)

I've been playing Planetside Aftershock now for nearly 4 years, have my own outfit , the biggest on the European server :)

Is it still possible to play Emp BFD ? is a server still up and running ?

Nice to hear from you all again.

My Emp char was Atomic245 if anyone remembers me ?

I remember you Atomic, afterall you did aid in resolving a few of my old PC problems.  :D

Yea you can still play EBF Dune online on the RAserver, just check out the thread and follow the simple instructions.

http://forum.dune2k.com/index.php?topic=15757.0

You can always see who is online from the RA server link or just get EmpBot.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I haven't posted in a really long time. The last time I did was on September 5, 2004 - nearly a month before I moved to Sweden. (Some of you might remember me as Sven the Slayer.)

I stopped playing Emperor after I lent the game to a friend who lives in Johannesburg - he never gave it back. I tried once or twice to remind him, and then gave up. It was probably a good thing since I played way too much on the computer before. When I do play now I play Civ4. Oh, what a boring git I've become!

I remember some names pretty well, like Edric O, Gobalopper, Ordos45 and exatreides. Hi, guys!

• 2 weeks later...

I remember you Sven!

And I also get the distinct impression that this forum is seeing less activity than usual because we're all turning into lurkers - I know I've been guilty of that. I check the forum every day but hardly ever post. :-[

Hehe, good to see some of the oldies are still lurking around :)

I can't remember when the last time when I visited here last.

Been really busy with work, and still am. Next to the gaming that I do,

there isn't much spare time left, I still am quite heavily involved in

World of Warcraft and started my own guild in there.

Besides that, still running the Game Heaven forums together with Gryphon and Timenn.

Recently I started playing Wolfenstein Enemy territory again, and now also bought ET: Quake wars.

If you ever see someone running around, dying a lot and called DocNyar, you can bet it's me :)

I carried on posting for a while even after I virtually gave away my copy of Emperor, but - not to say I ever was a big-time poster - I couldn't really carry on posting once I'd lost most of my interest for the Dune games. I do still miss some aspects of Emperor and the whole Dune thing, though.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I was in basic training from July 9th till September 21st, and combat medic training till this February so my posting time has been rather limited.

but how is everybody doing?

Into family dinners here, and some reading as usual. And you? Don't know you much but... how's the training? how is it-how is it?! :)

I've heard that they can't be rough on people as before, but I don't know how you'd perceive that.

Hello everyone.

Firstly, I'm quite flattered that Edric O would give me a mention in the initial post of this thread. I didn't realize I was buried so deep in the history books of this forum. :-X

Anyway, I just happened to pass by, and thought I'd take a look at the forum section which I tend to avoid here more often than any other. Politics, Religion, & Philosophy. I have to say that I'm amazed at some of the discussions that have been going on in there. The thread surrounding natural selection and humanity was an interesting read. Looking at the overall forum talk going on now, it's funny to think back and remember all the arguments that went on when a few people didn't agree with each other.

I'm not going to go into too much personal detail, but if any of you have been wondering how I've been doing, I'm still alive. Which is something I've come to appreciate more over the years (I haven't had any near death experiences). Somehow, I've become more interested in catching the news and hearing about local politics, especially regarding Australia's attitude towards climate change and its less than groundbreaking communications network.

Some things that haven't changed much/at all:

I'm still an introvert, and it doesn't look like that aspect of my personality is going to shift towards the opposite direction any time soon. Not that I really mind. However I have often thought about my place in society and whether I have one at all, and I think that I may have been going through one or more periods of identity crisis. The fact of the matter is, I'm not a very approachable person in real life. Perhaps it's just Australian culture, but I get the impression that people think I'm rude or ignoring them simply because I prefer to listen and I'm horrible at casual conversations (you would need to be arguing a topic or asking me for my opinion on something which I feel passionately about to really get me going).

Rene_Smeitink, if you're reading this, I still don't have a girlfriend/significant other. :D  Knowing myself, that will probably be true for at least several more years to come. From all the stories I've heard, I probably don't want to get married, and I definitely don't want to pass my genes on to the next generation (yes I'm biologically redundant). ;)

Some things that are changing or are uncertain at this time:

If I get the opportunity, maybe I'll emigrate out of Australia. Then again, maybe I won't. The recent change of government was a breath of fresh air, and it'll be interesting to see what the new government can do. I was delighted to hear the news that we'd ratified the Kyoto Protocol.

As for being a PC game addict... I think I may (hopefully) be growing out of it. After I complete a game modification (I'm still modding Jacob ;)) I've been working on on and off for a few years, I'll likely be occupied with a game called SPORE, which is speculated to be released before the middle of next year. I'm not going to make any promises, but I hope to make SPORE the last game I buy. I've been thinking I'm getting too old to be playing games, and I really don't want to spend the majority of my spare time stuck in front of a computer screen (or a console for that matter).

Well... apologies for the long winded post, but I hope you found it somewhat informative, if not interesting. It's good to see old regulars still returning to this site and having open discussions on topics which might have been considered too volatile a few years ago, or just a friendly chat. It's also nice to see a few new members around (if they really are new members). And most of all, it's great to see FED2K still alive and well. :)

All the best for 2008.

Into family dinners here, and some reading as usual. And you? Don't know you much but... how's the training? how is it-how is it?! :)

I've heard that they can't be rough on people as before, but I don't know how you'd perceive that.

they can't strike us... Well when Co's are around. But in private they can do alot.

Eh basic training was hot we did about 75k in total road marches when I was there, the most at one time being 15k in two hours and ten minutes, with full battle rattle on.  Shooting just about every weapon there.

Medic training is going okay so far, just having a bit of a problem with me run. But I think I got it all worked out now.

• 5 weeks later...

Had major ice storm Monday night. Probably worst in 25 years. Lost power Tuesday 6:30AM. Not expecting power back until Sunday.

They might send in the military. Some gas stations ran out of gas. They have helicopter out looking for damaged power lines.

Probably wont be online until late weekend or Tuesday when I am back in the city.

EDIT:

Got power back at 9:45 PM Saturday night. Still no internet and might not have it for a week.

EDIT:

Got internet back on Saturday, February 9, 7:00PM

• 2 weeks later...

We are supposed to get more freezing rain and wind Wednesday night. :(

Winter storm warning

Snow late Wednesday changing to ice pellets and freezing rain in the evening.

This is a warning that dangerous winter weather conditions are expected in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

A low pressure system will approach from the southwest on Wednesday pushing a warm front over the southern regions of the Maritimes during the day. Snow will spread across Wednesday afternoon then change to ice pellets and freezing rain in the evening. Snow and ice pellets amounts may range from 10 to 15 centimetres. The duration of freezing rain may be 4 hours or more.

This can mean more power/internet outages. There is still a power pole near my house that was damaged (it is bent, in the process of snapping in 1/2), that they havn't replaced yet.

• 2 weeks later...